Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Johnjones7656
    • By Johnjones7656 17th Apr 18, 2:42 PM
    • 60Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Johnjones7656
    Damp stains
    • 17th Apr 18, 2:42 PM
    Damp stains 17th Apr 18 at 2:42 PM
    Hi, I'm looking for advice please....in the attic room I had an issue with the roof causing stains on the wall. The issue was fixed (or so I'm led to believe!) and I used a polycell damp seal on the yellow/brown stains then painted over with normal white paint. However the stains started showing through again so used zinsser aerosol this time and painted over again but a couple of weeks later the stains are showing through again!!! Any advice please??
Page 1
    • JohnB47
    • By JohnB47 17th Apr 18, 3:23 PM
    • 990 Posts
    • 307 Thanks
    JohnB47
    • 17th Apr 18, 3:23 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 3:23 PM
    That seems odd to me. Did you put enough of the stain block on - i.e. more than one coat? And did you cover not just the stain area but some distance out from it?

I used that stuff years ago and it fixed a problem immediately.

Is it possible that the walls are not quite dry yet and the stain block won't work if so? I've read some reviews that say that if mould is not fully removed and killed before applying the Polycell product, then the mould can recur. That seems to suggest to me that the walls need to be fully dry before applying.
    • Johnjones7656
    • By Johnjones7656 17th Apr 18, 4:40 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Johnjones7656
    • 17th Apr 18, 4:40 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 4:40 PM
    It's not mould as such...it's just yellowy brown patches!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

110Posts Today

1,711Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin