Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TrishT
    • By TrishT 17th Apr 18, 1:38 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    TrishT
    British Gas
    • 17th Apr 18, 1:38 PM
    British Gas 17th Apr 18 at 1:38 PM
    Hi all
    Im new to the forum
    British Gas (BG) has just sent me a final bill for 1570!! I[U][U] was with Sainsbury's energy (owned by BG). It was an unexpected shock. Their credit control (CC) dept stated that there were errors in their systems which is why they failed to debit my account in Dec, Jan, Feb. Anyway, I went through to their CC dept to set up a payment plan. They advised that as this was a payment plan, they have to, by law, inform the credit rating agency, Experian, and I might get a bad credit rating.
    Is this correct and legal?
    Many thanks
Page 1
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 17th Apr 18, 2:36 PM
    • 27,382 Posts
    • 13,401 Thanks
    Cardew
    • 17th Apr 18, 2:36 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 2:36 PM
    Welcome to the forum.

Although BG are at fault for not collecting the Direct Debit Payments, it is still a valid debt. It is pertinent to state that you should have put aside the DD payments for those 3 months. However, to be 1570 in debt it seems there are other factors - unless your DD was 500 a month.

It is usually best to 'negotiate' a lower figure to settle a valid account straight away, even if it entails borrowing the funds.

That said you are in debt and a payment plan is a Debt Management Plan(DMP). I don't know if a DMP must be reported 'by law' to a credit agency; but it is certainly legal to do so and usually company policy: see

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/debt-and-money/debt-solutions/debt-management-plans/debt-management-plans-explained/debt-management-plans-what-you-need-to-know/
    Last edited by Cardew; 17-04-2018 at 2:42 PM.
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 17th Apr 18, 3:30 PM
    • 2,763 Posts
    • 1,817 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 17th Apr 18, 3:30 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 3:30 PM
    TrishT - in your discussions with BG have you had any reason to think that the bill was not correct ? Has there been any mention of the meter readings and the tariff you are on ?

When did you move in ? Was the supplier at that time BG or somebody else? Did you ring the supplier and give them readings ?

Have you swopped suppliers since you moved in?

When was the meter last read by BG (Indicated by a letter A after the reading) or have all your readings been Estimated (a letter E) or have you been reading the meter and giving them the readings (a letter C) ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • TrishT
    • By TrishT 17th Apr 18, 6:22 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    TrishT
    • 17th Apr 18, 6:22 PM
    Thank you very much
    • 17th Apr 18, 6:22 PM
    Robin, Cardew,
    Thanks a million for responding.
    We've been in this property for 12 years. We've switched suppliers several times. I have just switched again to So Energy.
    I have never incurred such a huge bill before. I was told, yesterday, that this was a particularly cold winter. Agreed. The DD's were messy from the start. One for Gas and another for electric totalling circa 160/m. So, this bill was a shock.
    Yes, I have been supplying meter reads fairly regularly.
    Yesterday, I discussed the poss that the meter was faulty and Sainsburys energy poo poo'd that immediately.
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 18th Apr 18, 3:30 PM
    • 3,611 Posts
    • 2,241 Thanks
    matelodave
    • 18th Apr 18, 3:30 PM
    • 18th Apr 18, 3:30 PM
    Even though you say you send in meter readings fairly regularly, have you been checking the statements and bills to make sure that they are being used.

As Cardew suggests, you should have been putting aside the payments so you'd have at least that amount of money in the bank to help mitigate some of the arrears.

Monitoring your consumption and checking the bills would have highlighted an emerging problem which could have been sorted out before it got as large as it has. Likewise keeping your own records would also indicate whether there are any anomalies in consumption or bill readings.

It only takes 5 mins a month but can save hours or days of grief in the future
    Love makes the world go round - beer make it go round even faster
    Look after our planet - it's the only one with beer
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,053Posts Today

8,055Users online

Martin's Twitter