Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pepsi
    • By Pepsi 17th Apr 18, 12:34 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Pepsi
    Faulty Iron
    • 17th Apr 18, 12:34 PM
    Faulty Iron 17th Apr 18 at 12:34 PM
    We purchased a new steam iron in June 2017 so its approx 9 months old. I registered it with the manufacturer to get a 2 year warranty.
    It has stopped working and the manufacturer has replied to my query asking
    "can you please confirm where this was purchased from as some companies have bought out warranty for the first 12 months."

I haven't a clue what they mean.

I thought I was covered by the Sale of Goods act even after an initial 12 months.

Does anyone know what is meant by bought out warranty.

Thanks

P
Page 1
    • waamo
    • By waamo 17th Apr 18, 12:50 PM
    • 4,260 Posts
    • 5,600 Thanks
    waamo
    • 17th Apr 18, 12:50 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 12:50 PM
    The Sale of Goods Act applies between the consumer and retailer. Did you purchase the iron directly from the manufacturer?

Some retailers may have opted out of the manufacturers scheme and arranged to have repairs done in house during the first 12 months. If that's the case the manufacturer will refer you back to the retailer.

A warranty is in addition to your consumer rights not instead of them. Your contract was with the retailer not the manufacturer unless you purchased the item directly from them.
    This space for hire.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 17th Apr 18, 1:10 PM
    • 10,292 Posts
    • 11,573 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 17th Apr 18, 1:10 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 1:10 PM
    Does anyone know what is meant by bought out warranty.
    Originally posted by Pepsi
    Most goods sold in the UK come with a manufacturers warranty but what happens when the warranty is bought out by the retailer is this.

Say for example, Sony sell a TV to a retailer and it comes with a 2 year warranty (covered by Sony) and they charge the retailer 500 for each TV set.
    That retailer might be given the option to get the same TV set for 450 but it is then supplied without a manufacturers warranty.
    In the event of that set going faulty, the retailer then has the responsibility for providing a repair or replacement.

It's a gamble on the part of the retailers as they hope that the money they save by getting the goods at a discount will more than cover any money they have to pay out for faulty goods.
    • TadleyBaggie
    • By TadleyBaggie 17th Apr 18, 1:46 PM
    • 2,904 Posts
    • 2,214 Thanks
    TadleyBaggie
    • 17th Apr 18, 1:46 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 1:46 PM
    The Sale of Goods Act is no longer in force for consumer purchases, it's the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

As was said in the previous post, the retailer may have got a better discount but in return has absolved the manufacturer for faults in the first 12 months.
    • Pepsi
    • By Pepsi 17th Apr 18, 2:26 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Pepsi
    • 17th Apr 18, 2:26 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 2:26 PM
    Got it,
    Thanks for your replies, it's only a small online retailer so I doubt they would have bought out the warranty. If it hasn't then I assume it has the manufacturer warranty and the manufacturer would be responsible for repair after 9 months and not the retailer.

P
    • cono1717
    • By cono1717 17th Apr 18, 2:52 PM
    • 699 Posts
    • 497 Thanks
    cono1717
    • 17th Apr 18, 2:52 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 2:52 PM
    Got it,
    Thanks for your replies, it's only a small online retailer so I doubt they would have bought out the warranty. If it hasn't then I assume it has the manufacturer warranty and the manufacturer would be responsible for repair after 9 months and not the retailer.

P
    Originally posted by Pepsi
    Based on the law, after the first 6 months the consumer needs to prove that there is an inherent manufacturing defect by way of independent report, if they do this the retailer needs to repair, replace or refund the cost of the item (accounting for time used if they wish).

However most retailers offer a 12 month warranty which as stated above is in addition to your statutory rights, go back to the retailer and report the fault to them and see what they say.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 17th Apr 18, 3:00 PM
    • 21,020 Posts
    • 16,806 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 17th Apr 18, 3:00 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 3:00 PM

However most retailers offer a 12 month warranty which as stated above is in addition to your statutory rights, go back to the retailer and report the fault to them and see what they say.
    Originally posted by cono1717
    I really don't think they do. In most cases a warranty will be offered by the manufacturer not the retailer, and even the retailers that do offer an extended warranty for some products (such as John Lewis) will often contract that out to either the manufacturer or a third party.

Of course, in this instance the OP is able to make a choice between invoking the manufacturer's warranty or using the CRA to ask the retailer for resolution.
    Last edited by agrinnall; 17-04-2018 at 3:05 PM.
    • Pepsi
    • By Pepsi 19th Apr 18, 4:20 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Pepsi
    • 19th Apr 18, 4:20 PM
    • 19th Apr 18, 4:20 PM
    The retailer has just ignored my messages. After sending a copy of my receipt to the manufacturer they have said they will send a replacement.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

145Posts Today

1,229Users online

Martin's Twitter