Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MarcoM
    • By MarcoM 17th Apr 18, 12:01 PM
    • 510Posts
    • 71Thanks
    MarcoM
    Initial documentation from solicitors
    • 17th Apr 18, 12:01 PM
    Initial documentation from solicitors 17th Apr 18 at 12:01 PM
    Hello,

We have just started the process of buying a house and are awaiting the documents from the solicitor.

What sort of documentation did you receive from your solicitor and how did you go about proving ID? did you need to get this certified or did you go to the solicitors office to do this?

Regards,
Page 1
    • chou-chou
    • By chou-chou 17th Apr 18, 12:07 PM
    • 126 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    chou-chou
    • 17th Apr 18, 12:07 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 12:07 PM
    We took the docs they needed (passport, utility bill, etc.) into the solicitors office and the receptionist photocopied them. Not sure how it works if you're online.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 17th Apr 18, 12:14 PM
    • 8,547 Posts
    • 9,013 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 17th Apr 18, 12:14 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 12:14 PM
    Generally solicitors will want to see either principal documents or certified copies, but there's not much point in us guessing what your solicitors will want (unless you tell us who they are, and then maybe someone will know).
    • Shedman
    • By Shedman 17th Apr 18, 12:19 PM
    • 209 Posts
    • 132 Thanks
    Shedman
    • 17th Apr 18, 12:19 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 12:19 PM
    If you do need to send in certified copies of things like Passport, utility bill etc then the Post Office do a certification service at main post offices (and some smaller ones - you can look on their website for ones that do it) and charge 10.50 to certify up to 3 documents. Nice and quick and straightforward we found when doing it for MiL. Unfortunately a lot of banks that used to do it for free now refuse to do it at all.
    • Becks12
    • By Becks12 17th Apr 18, 2:56 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Becks12
    • 17th Apr 18, 2:56 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 2:56 PM
    I had to do this recently and my Solicitors would only accept certified copies from my Bank, my mortgage broker or my estate agent. They wouldn't accept post office for some reason. So I had to go in in person which was a bit of a faff. Could have been worse as it was just the other side of London rather than my second choice one which was somewhere far far north!
    Best to ask them what they will accept.
    • claz83
    • By claz83 17th Apr 18, 3:06 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    claz83
    • 17th Apr 18, 3:06 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 3:06 PM
    I went into my estate agent and they photocopied my passport before stamping the copy with a special stamp. My mortgage broker did the same. They're used to doing it :-)
    • G_M
    • By G_M 17th Apr 18, 4:50 PM
    • 45,330 Posts
    • 54,346 Thanks
    G_M
    • 17th Apr 18, 4:50 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 4:50 PM
    I had to do this recently and my Solicitors would only accept certified copies from my ........ or my estate agent..
    Originally posted by Becks12

• Tiglet2
    • By Tiglet2 17th Apr 18, 7:19 PM
    • 217 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    Tiglet2
    • 17th Apr 18, 7:19 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 7:19 PM
    Certified copies of ID are acceptable or turn up in person and the office staff can certify the documents for you.

Bear in mind they may require the certification to be done by a qualified person and there may be a list of suitable people they will accept. Mortgage advisers are usually acceptable if they are FCA registered.

Post Office certified documents are not usually accepted because they do not sign as individual people and it is impossible to trace the certifier. Due to money laundering, the solicitor will need to verify the person certifying the documents by speaking to them on the telephone to confirm that they did in fact meet the person and that the passport/driving licence was a true likeness.
    • TheBanker
    • By TheBanker 17th Apr 18, 10:02 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 1,569 Thanks
    TheBanker
    • 17th Apr 18, 10:02 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 10:02 PM
    My solicitor wouldn't accept a bank certified document, but would accept a Post Office certified one. Which is a shame as I work in a bank and there is no Post Office near by any more. They said they'd accept one certified by another solicitor. I asked if they would accept it certified by the bank's solicitor, using the bank's stamp. They didn't know... so I just went into their offices in the end.

I certified some documents for a guy who works for me last year. I didn't use the special stamp because it was locked in a cupboard and we couldn't remember where we'd put the key. They phoned to check I'd really certified the documents but the lack of a special stamp didn't seem to cause a problem.

When I used to work in the branches years ago, we often certified documents for customers. Now, the branches are not allowed to unless either they know the customer or it's for another department in our bank.
    Make 10 a day challenge: Jan-18: 330 / 400
    • leon103
    • By leon103 17th Apr 18, 10:12 PM
    • 722 Posts
    • 173 Thanks
    leon103
    We had our estate agent write and confirm our id
    • MarcoM
    • By MarcoM 18th Apr 18, 2:19 PM
    • 510 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    MarcoM
    ok thanks to all for the responses.
    May I ask how long it took for your solicitor to issue you with the initial documentation after you told them you were hiring them?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,504Posts Today

8,611Users online

Martin's Twitter