Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • reason2
    • By reason2 17th Apr 18, 11:26 AM
    • 231Posts
    • 230Thanks
    reason2
    PPI & Car insurance
    • 17th Apr 18, 11:26 AM
    PPI & Car insurance 17th Apr 18 at 11:26 AM
    I have searched and seem to get mixed messages on other threads / google results.

I am hoping someone far more knowledgeable than me knows the answer here.

I had, what i believe to be PPI with my car insurance via the Elephant group of companies.
    I know it was PPI esq because i used it when i lost my job to cover payments.
    Now obviously i wasnt mis-sold because it was explained to me, i accepted it and used it.

But does Plevin come in to play? most results say you dont have PPI on car insurance but if it wasnt PPI what was it?
Page 1
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 17th Apr 18, 11:43 AM
    • 4,528 Posts
    • 2,670 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    • 17th Apr 18, 11:43 AM
    • 17th Apr 18, 11:43 AM
    It's highly unlikely you'd have PPI on car insurance and it's also highly unlikely that they'd sell payment protection as part of car insurance - even if you pay monthly and thus have a "loan", if you didn't pay, they'd simply cancel your policy and nobody in their right mind wants a cancellation on their record as premiums go through the roof. That said, they might sell a side product of payment protection.

Plevin is only applicable if there was a premium paid on the sale as part of commission and if that commission was over 50%.

You'd be best to ring up and ask them directly what policy it was and how much you paid
    • zx81
    • By zx81 17th Apr 18, 11:46 AM
    • 16,868 Posts
    • 17,891 Thanks
    zx81
    • 17th Apr 18, 11:46 AM
    • 17th Apr 18, 11:46 AM
    if it wasnt PPI what was it?
    Originally posted by reason2
    Ask Elephant.

They never forget.
    • reason2
    • By reason2 17th Apr 18, 11:55 AM
    • 231 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    reason2
    • 17th Apr 18, 11:55 AM
    • 17th Apr 18, 11:55 AM
    It's highly unlikely you'd have PPI on car insurance and it's also highly unlikely that they'd sell payment protection as part of car insurance
    Originally posted by Nasqueron
    This is what confuses me, included in my monthly payments, i paid extra in case i was unable to meet payments due to job loss.

In this case this did occur and i claimed for 3-4 months via a third party who covered the payments.

to me that sounds like PPI.

It was actually bell not elephant and this is what the policy book says

"Who the cover is underwritten by
    Admiral Insurance (Gibraltar) Limited.
    Type of insurance and cover
    This is designed to protect your monthly motor insurance premium payments in the event
    of accident, sickness, unemployment or hospitalisation.
    Unemployment cover also includes giving up work to become a full time carer. "
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 17th Apr 18, 12:12 PM
    • 20,163 Posts
    • 11,106 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 17th Apr 18, 12:12 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 12:12 PM
    In this case this did occur and i claimed for 3-4 months via a third party who covered the payments.

to me that sounds like PPI.
    As you say, you were obviously not mis-sold this insurance since you knew about it and actually claimed on it.

Plevin will only apply, though, if you paid undisclosed commission of over 50%. You'll have to ask Bell.
    • reason2
    • By reason2 17th Apr 18, 12:14 PM
    • 231 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    reason2
    • 17th Apr 18, 12:14 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 12:14 PM
    so it was PPI?

that was my main query as i have googled all over the show and everyone seems to say PPI and car insurance is not possible.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 17th Apr 18, 12:18 PM
    • 20,163 Posts
    • 11,106 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 17th Apr 18, 12:18 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 12:18 PM
    so it was PPI?

that was my main query as i have googled all over the show and everyone seems to say PPI and car insurance is not possible.
    Note that it not somehow wrong to have PPI, the fact that the insurance was widely mis-sold does not indicate that there is an automatic payment pending...

It's unlikely PPI would have been added to a car insurance policy, but certainly not impossible...as you found out.
    • reason2
    • By reason2 17th Apr 18, 12:55 PM
    • 231 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    reason2
    • 17th Apr 18, 12:55 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 12:55 PM
    oh im not going to be claiming anything, i wanted and used it, i was just reading about PPI and saw it was allegedly impossible to have PPI on car insurance so this was purely about my own curiosity on the subject.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 17th Apr 18, 1:10 PM
    • 92,660 Posts
    • 59,985 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 17th Apr 18, 1:10 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 1:10 PM
    Plevin applies to the potential for an unfair relationship on a credit agreement covered under the consumer credit act.

Was your car insurance paid for with a loan under the consumer credit act?

It isnt possible. However, if you take out a loan to pay the annual premium then it is possible it is on the loan.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

219Posts Today

2,010Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin