Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cheepskate
    • By cheepskate 17th Apr 18, 11:06 AM
    • 1,598Posts
    • 2,793Thanks
    cheepskate
    Help re: builder
    • 17th Apr 18, 11:06 AM
    Help re: builder 17th Apr 18 at 11:06 AM
    So here is the predicament im in....
    Neighbour got an extension.
    Looks good, shes happy. All seems to be in order.
    So builder gave me his card with..name..company name..address and home and mobile number but assume at least the mobile will be genuine.
    I havent called the numbers yet BUT i cannot find his company anywhere given the details(can find a disolved one with same name but different area thats now disolved.
    Cannot find his name linking to address he gave me either.
    He does part work then part payment ..so on and so forth.
    So my question is if i use him and anything goes wrong..will i have a leg to stand on...what do i need to see..i know insurance is one but what else
    Thanks for any help.
Page 1
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 17th Apr 18, 11:20 AM
    • 25,784 Posts
    • 69,833 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 17th Apr 18, 11:20 AM
    • 17th Apr 18, 11:20 AM
    As much as one needs to do due diligence on builders, one also needs to understand that the majority of builders want to do a god job, get paid, go home.

If this guy is a sole trader then no company name will be on Companies House. He will simpy be Joe Bloggs t/a as Superb Erections). It's actually better if you did take him to court as you'd be taking the person to court, not a company that can close. That said, you can see he is genuine from next door. Good builders don't turn into cowboys.

If he isn't internet savvy - many builders aren't, then there will be very little evidence of him at an address online. We all have the right to exclude ourselves from the public electoral roll. Many trades do operate solely via word of mouth.

Follow him home

Check references, see work, draw up a proper specification to be quoted from, have a contract, agree stage payments based on work done, have someone quantify that for you.

Run the job with some level of professionalism and it protects both parties. Don't go in with suspicion. Relationships crack very quickly when one party isn't trusting. Proper paperwork really does help.
    Last edited by Doozergirl; 17-04-2018 at 11:24 AM.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,013Posts Today

8,357Users online

Martin's Twitter