Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pinder325
    • By pinder325 17th Apr 18, 10:08 AM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    pinder325
    Car loan help please
    • 17th Apr 18, 10:08 AM
    Car loan help please 17th Apr 18 at 10:08 AM
    Hello,

I want to buy a new car. But I currently have a car that I bought with a personal loan. I got my current car valued for a trade in and it worked out to be the same amount I still have outstanding on my loan. So the plan is to sell my current car, pay off the loan and then get a new loan for the new car.

But what would be the best way to do this? I will need to pay off the current loan before applying for the new loan. But to do that I need the money from the sale of my current car, which I don't think I would be able to do because the price I got for my car is a trade in price, not a cash price. I can't think of a way to be able to do this without selling my car for the lower cash price and then live without a car for a week or so while the new loan is approved.

Any advice would be great!
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 17th Apr 18, 10:12 AM
    • 18,620 Posts
    • 19,878 Thanks
    zx81
    • 17th Apr 18, 10:12 AM
    • 17th Apr 18, 10:12 AM
    It depends on your circumstances.

Are you sure your income is too low/credit history too poor for a second loan?

Have you looked in dealer finance, where things could happen simultaneously?
    • poppasmurf_bewdley
    • By poppasmurf_bewdley 17th Apr 18, 11:20 AM
    • 5,262 Posts
    • 5,360 Thanks
    poppasmurf_bewdley
    • 17th Apr 18, 11:20 AM
    • 17th Apr 18, 11:20 AM
    If the value of your present car is more or less the same as what's left on the loan, then the obvious answer would be to trade it in and let the dealer pay off the loan when you buy a new car.

Only you can decide if this is the best answer for you after comparing what you are offered by the dealer compared with selling the car privately.

But remember, trying to sell a car which is still on finance can be a problem.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 17th Apr 18, 1:55 PM
    • 7,857 Posts
    • 7,224 Thanks
    Herzlos
    • 17th Apr 18, 1:55 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 1:55 PM
    It sounds like a bank loan rather than being linked to the car, so selling it isn't a problem.

How are you financing the difference? You might be easier phoning your loan provider to see if they'll extend the loan to cover that, then you trade in and give the dealer the difference.
    Or you can always find another loan / save up to cover the difference and leave the first loan alone.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

943Posts Today

6,888Users online

Martin's Twitter