Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cs15
    • By cs15 17th Apr 18, 10:05 AM
    • 37Posts
    • 31Thanks
    cs15
    India Overseas Property Problem
    • 17th Apr 18, 10:05 AM
    India Overseas Property Problem 17th Apr 18 at 10:05 AM
    Hi some family members invested in India property development and are struggling to get any progress over a number of years. The developers are contactable but make excuses and a refund is not forthcoming. They cite the RERA laws as complicating things which have come in to protect buyers but it is also a delaying excuse. I was wondering if anyone else has had similar issues before and any general advice on the best way to get progress and resolution.
    Thanks!
Page 1
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 17th Apr 18, 10:07 AM
    • 7,678 Posts
    • 7,825 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 17th Apr 18, 10:07 AM
    • 17th Apr 18, 10:07 AM
    They'd be best to find a forum about Indian property - it's all UK around here.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 17th Apr 18, 10:21 AM
    • 17,395 Posts
    • 15,760 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 17th Apr 18, 10:21 AM
    • 17th Apr 18, 10:21 AM
    They invested in India, under Indian law. They will need to pursue any redress under Indian law.
    • cs15
    • By cs15 5th May 18, 8:55 AM
    • 37 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    cs15
    • 5th May 18, 8:55 AM
    • 5th May 18, 8:55 AM
    Thanks anyone know any good forums on Indian property then?
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 5th May 18, 11:32 AM
    • 5,382 Posts
    • 7,554 Thanks
    deannatrois
    • 5th May 18, 11:32 AM
    • 5th May 18, 11:32 AM
    I wonder if your family will have a very very long wait

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/wealth/personal-finance-news/top-6-real-estate-scams-and-how-home-buyers-can-avoid-them/articleshow/46930255.cms

Half way down this one is an example that may be similar to yours?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14326068

I apologise that these don't directly answer your question but may indicate the money is lost/unrecoverable.

I have had a quick google but there isn't anything obviously available. There are property forums but mostly representing Indian Estate Agents. If the court systems are as bad as I read, you might be better off just calling it a learning experience. Or advising your family to hire a Lawyer based in India but I suspect it will be throwing more money away.
    Last edited by deannatrois; 05-05-2018 at 11:39 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,273Posts Today

5,867Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin