Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • moving1moretime
    • By moving1moretime 17th Apr 18, 9:43 AM
    • 42Posts
    • 3Thanks
    moving1moretime
    roofer self cert
    • 17th Apr 18, 9:43 AM
    roofer self cert 17th Apr 18 at 9:43 AM
    Hi I know a member of the "competent builder scheme" can self certify their own roofing work so no need for building regs. But is a member of the
    "Guild of master craftsmen" also allowed to self cert their own roofing work ...I can't find anything to say that this is the case....info is readily available for "competent builders" but not for "GMC "members
    TIA
Page 1
    • the_r_sole
    • By the_r_sole 17th Apr 18, 10:50 AM
    • 2,456 Posts
    • 1,295 Thanks
    the_r_sole
    • 17th Apr 18, 10:50 AM
    • 17th Apr 18, 10:50 AM
    what certificate are you looking for?
    • teneighty
    • By teneighty 17th Apr 18, 10:53 AM
    • 1,129 Posts
    • 810 Thanks
    teneighty
    • 17th Apr 18, 10:53 AM
    • 17th Apr 18, 10:53 AM
    There are only 2 competent person schemes covering replacement roof coverings...CompetentRoofer and NAPIT.

Only members of those 2 schemes can self certify the replacement of roof coverings.
    • moving1moretime
    • By moving1moretime 17th Apr 18, 11:04 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    moving1moretime
    • 17th Apr 18, 11:04 AM
    • 17th Apr 18, 11:04 AM
    Well I'm in the process of looking to hire a roofer and one guy has said he's a member of The guild of crafts and so can self cert his work and something about Gigi insurance....??
    • moving1moretime
    • By moving1moretime 17th Apr 18, 11:06 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    moving1moretime
    • 17th Apr 18, 11:06 AM
    • 17th Apr 18, 11:06 AM
    Ggfi ins...sorry typo
    • teneighty
    • By teneighty 17th Apr 18, 11:15 AM
    • 1,129 Posts
    • 810 Thanks
    teneighty
    • 17th Apr 18, 11:15 AM
    • 17th Apr 18, 11:15 AM
    Well I'm in the process of looking to hire a roofer and one guy has said he's a member of The guild of crafts and so can self cert his work and something about Gigi insurance....??
    Originally posted by moving1moretime
    Well he is lying.....https://www.gov.uk/guidance/competent-person-scheme-current-schemes-and-how-schemes-are-authorised#types-of-building-work
    • moving1moretime
    • By moving1moretime 17th Apr 18, 11:18 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    moving1moretime
    • 17th Apr 18, 11:18 AM
    • 17th Apr 18, 11:18 AM
    Thank you, that was the website I had looked at, prior to getting the above info off this roofer, anyone know how much it costs to apply for building regs and what the process involves
    • moving1moretime
    • By moving1moretime 17th Apr 18, 11:21 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    moving1moretime
    • 17th Apr 18, 11:21 AM
    • 17th Apr 18, 11:21 AM
    Think I will message him and ask him to supply me with a relevant current link that states he can self certify.
    If he doesn't reply then I've got my answer !!!55357;!!!56847;
    • moving1moretime
    • By moving1moretime 17th Apr 18, 11:24 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    moving1moretime
    • 17th Apr 18, 11:24 AM
    • 17th Apr 18, 11:24 AM
    I've messages him....let's see what happens ...
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 17th Apr 18, 11:36 AM
    • 25,000 Posts
    • 68,479 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    Thank you, that was the website I had looked at, prior to getting the above info off this roofer, anyone know how much it costs to apply for building regs and what the process involves
    https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/47/roof/3

https://www.southworcestershirebuildingcontrol.gov.uk/forms-and-fees

232 plus VAT. Inspections - if you are replacing like for like tiles - one on the first day to agree what is being done, one on completion to check it has. Quick job. Little point in submitting plans.

If you're changing the tile then you should consult a structural engineer beforehand to check that the existing timber structure is capable.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • moving1moretime
    • By moving1moretime 17th Apr 18, 11:48 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    moving1moretime
    Brill thanks
    • moving1moretime
    • By moving1moretime 17th Apr 18, 11:50 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    moving1moretime
    Will be mostly recycling the tiles so like for like
    • moving1moretime
    • By moving1moretime 17th Apr 18, 11:55 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    moving1moretime
    His reply....it all depends on the job, but if it's just like for like it comes under modernisation and only needs to comply and not be inspected ??
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 17th Apr 18, 1:10 PM
    • 25,000 Posts
    • 68,479 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    His reply....it all depends on the job, but if it's just like for like it comes under modernisation and only needs to comply and not be inspected ??
    It's a bit of a funny one. Whenever we do roofing it's under a larger project anyway so we always cover it. It costs nothing. It certainly was straightforward before 2010 that a like-for-like fell outside the requirement for inspection. Their main concern now is thermal effiency, so they inspect the insulation, but it's a bit of a no brainer for householders to have the insulation put in, if indeed it hasn't already been done - the payback is so fast.

Even the guidance is a little bit vague, talking about 25% replacement as the threshold (this is the thermal thing - same for removing plaster inside). A lot of the time on older houses the roofers are replacing the same tiles with some new ones mixed in. So what is repair and what is re-roof? I suspect that roofers and BCOs have different views, especially as roofers were trusted to install the main elements in compliance.

It's pretty simple to book an officer for initial and final inspections, so I'd do it anyway as Building Control is ultimately your responsibility and it's nice to have a certificate for work when selling, but call them and ask if you want a definitive answer.
    Last edited by Doozergirl; 17-04-2018 at 1:18 PM.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • moving1moretime
    • By moving1moretime 17th Apr 18, 1:19 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    moving1moretime
    Thanks very much, I will call them to be on the safe side and will use your reply above as a reference for the question, seeing as you put it across so much better than I can ha ha
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,098Posts Today

5,864Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin