Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LLM2018
    • By LLM2018 17th Apr 18, 8:08 AM
    • 117Posts
    • 388Thanks
    LLM2018
    New venture - sole trader novice
    • 17th Apr 18, 8:08 AM
    New venture - sole trader novice 17th Apr 18 at 8:08 AM
    Hello. I'm looking for some advice. I am looking to become a self employed sole trader with a website.

I am a complete novice as I have always been employed. I'm looking for a step by step guide at what to do.

I have been researching and there is too much information so I'm getting in a muddle argh.

I have no idea how to set up a website, get a domain name etc. Do I have to pay for monthly services? If so who do you recommend?

Also do u have to tell Hmrc now or only when I submit a tax return form next year if I'm successful?

Many thanks
    Last edited by LLM2018; 17-04-2018 at 8:20 AM.
    #21 Make 1% challenge 79.95/100%
    #78 PAYDBX '18 1994/2494 paid
    #6 Crazy clothes challenge
    1 debt vs 100 days 100/600 so far
    #54 SPC 12 Opening 31st Oct 2019 It will be a total surprise
Page 1
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 20th Apr 18, 8:46 AM
    • 25,377 Posts
    • 12,594 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 20th Apr 18, 8:46 AM
    • 20th Apr 18, 8:46 AM
    First of all what are you self trading in?
    Do you actually need a website now to start with or do you have a list of clients you do work for?

My opinion don't complicate things to begin with.
    You will need to inform HMRC that you are self employed.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • jshm2
    • By jshm2 23rd Apr 18, 1:26 AM
    • 344 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    jshm2
    • 23rd Apr 18, 1:26 AM
    • 23rd Apr 18, 1:26 AM
    That's one of the downsides to finding on the Internet vs networking in your local Chambers or groups. You don't get the breakdown or relevance to you in all regards in the former.

If you're using ebay or some group like Wix, or woocommerce then there is usually a lot of help available. As far as trading goes. you only need declare and register once you hit the threshold.

What you do and how you so it depends on your business and chosen business model

You don't always need to have a domain and hosting, especially if you're just looking at an online shop, Shopify and others give you all the tools and support you need and you just concentrate on traffic and business.

Moving from employed to self employed will affect your tax credits (if you're on them) and change your tax band so let them know AFTER you have made the switch.
    • Ozzuk
    • By Ozzuk 23rd Apr 18, 10:34 AM
    • 1,516 Posts
    • 2,217 Thanks
    Ozzuk
    • 23rd Apr 18, 10:34 AM
    • 23rd Apr 18, 10:34 AM
    See if there are any free or cheap digital marketing workshops in your area. Our council did one, my partner said it was excellent. Don't bodge a website, a poor website will do more damage than good.

Along the same lines, you should be able to find a business mentor, I did years ago - I can't remember if it was via the council or adult learning type centres.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,681Posts Today

7,093Users online

Martin's Twitter