Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Xena Debt Warrior
    • By Xena Debt Warrior 17th Apr 18, 6:06 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Xena Debt Warrior
    Living on a knife's edge
    • 17th Apr 18, 6:06 AM
    Living on a knife's edge 17th Apr 18 at 6:06 AM
    Hi I'm new round here..please be gentle with me.
    I don't really know where to begin but I'll start with the fact that I owe a lot of money to the banks.
    I don't know the exact total but it's pretty horrifying (36K ish) and although I've had multiple LBMs I still seem to be in the same predicament - owing money.
    I thought having a diary on here would keep me focused and spur me on. Over the years I've racked up large debts, paid them off and then racked them up again. Every.single.time I say never again and then I think f((* it and I spend.
    The saddest part is I hardly have any stuff to show for it - I wear the same pair of shoes every day at work ffs!
    The only saving grace is that I do own a property which I rent out (long story) and I'm now trying to sell it. I know a lot of people are against selling their house to pay off debt but for me it is the right decision - I will explain more later.
    A bit more about me - I'm married with a DC and my OH knows to 'some' extent of my debts but not all of it (about 15K).
    So much more to say but even writing this makes me feel sick as if writing it down I'm admitting it's true.

I'm Xena and I'm a debt addict.
Page 1
    • Starmummy
    • By Starmummy 17th Apr 18, 6:23 AM
    • 83 Posts
    • 223 Thanks
    Starmummy
    • 17th Apr 18, 6:23 AM
    • 17th Apr 18, 6:23 AM
    Good luck on your journey.
    Start with small steps. Analyse your spending over the past 2-3 months and come up with a SOA. Then see where you can cut down and create a realistic budget.
    Try and save an emergency fund and then overpay on debts where you can.
    • ramblehan
    • By ramblehan 17th Apr 18, 6:30 AM
    • 592 Posts
    • 1,218 Thanks
    ramblehan
    • 17th Apr 18, 6:30 AM
    • 17th Apr 18, 6:30 AM
    No judgement here whatsoever.
    Welcome and good luck.
    If you've cleared debt before then you know how to do that, so sounds like you need to focus on what allows you to build it back up again.
    Have you come across YNAB? It's a money management technique which has really helped change my mindset (along with everyone on here)
    I've subscribed xxx
    01/03/18: 21,270 DFD: Dec 2035
    2018 challenge - 148.64/3,670 (4.2%) as of 25.04.18
    • fatrab
    • By fatrab 17th Apr 18, 7:31 AM
    • 835 Posts
    • 1,907 Thanks
    fatrab
    • 17th Apr 18, 7:31 AM
    • 17th Apr 18, 7:31 AM
    Hi and welcome along!

Best of luck on your journey! Please do post an SOA, gives us something to play with!!

You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    May's targets - Lose 1 stone - 6lbs off, 21/31 AFDs, 13/18 lunches.
    37 x 2 coins (#32) - Wannabe debt free by Dec 2022
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,131Posts Today

8,004Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin