Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 7sefton
    • By 7sefton 16th Apr 18, 10:50 PM
    • 443Posts
    • 104Thanks
    7sefton
    Moving up the laddder next year: save cash or overpay mortgage?
    • 16th Apr 18, 10:50 PM
    Moving up the laddder next year: save cash or overpay mortgage? 16th Apr 18 at 10:50 PM
    Hi all

I bought my first flat just over 2 years ago. In 2019 my fixed rate mortgage comes to an end and Iím likely to want to move to a bigger place (Iíve seen Ok equity growth, and have had a few pay rises in Work).

My question is, should I try to keep all my savings in cash in anticipation of moving next year, or overpay my mortgage? Obviously iíll Keep some cash reserves, but I will have about £40k savings by the end of the year and I simply wonít be able to keep a lot of that in accounts that pay more than my current fixed mortgage rate of 2.14%.

So should I suffer the Ďlossí in keeping cash in savings accounts paying less than my mortgage is charging me in order to keep the cash easily at hand?
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,167Posts Today

6,965Users online

Martin's Twitter