Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • digital_sneeze
    • By digital_sneeze 16th Apr 18, 10:23 PM
    • 15Posts
    • 7Thanks
    digital_sneeze
    Phone line cable physically torn from house - who to contact for repair?
    • 16th Apr 18, 10:23 PM
    Phone line cable physically torn from house - who to contact for repair? 16th Apr 18 at 10:23 PM
    This might be a bit outside the remit of this forum, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

A number of years ago while the council were doing roof work on my grandparent's house, they accidentally tore down the overhead cable from the house which connects it to the telegraph pole. When asked if she wanted it put back up my grandparent stupidly said not to bother as she had no use for the internet or a landline. However, now, she wishes to have internet access but she is unsure of who to contact to get this repaired and Virgin don't offer broadband in the area so fibre optic is not possible. I believe she contacted the telecom people in the area and they said it was the responsibility of those who tore it down, however when she contacted the council (I believe, I may be wrong) they in turn said it was up to the telecom company (BT I assume as it's their cables?).

Does anyone have any advice on the matter and if she has any rights or who specifically to contact?

Thanks

*Based in Canterbury, Kent in the UK for clarification.
    Last edited by digital_sneeze; 16-04-2018 at 10:37 PM.
Page 1
    • jbainbridge
    • By jbainbridge 16th Apr 18, 10:43 PM
    • 1,776 Posts
    • 1,151 Thanks
    jbainbridge
    • 16th Apr 18, 10:43 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 10:43 PM
    She might just be best placing an order with her chosen company ... then see what happens. I wouldn!!!8217;t be going into any detail about the broken line ... maybe just going as far as saying it is broken. I doubt the council would have the expertise to fix it anyway. Ultimately Openreach will need to come out and repair it ... but this will happen whoever she signs up with.
    • money_saving_matt
    • By money_saving_matt 16th Apr 18, 10:53 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    money_saving_matt
    • 16th Apr 18, 10:53 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 10:53 PM
    I wouldn't worry about contacting the council or Openreach to report the previous damage as she'll get nowhere fast, just sign up for a new line with the preferred supplier. If there is no cable from the pole to the house an engineer will attend site and connect one because the price of a new phone line includes this engineering work.
    • digital_sneeze
    • By digital_sneeze 16th Apr 18, 10:59 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    digital_sneeze
    • 16th Apr 18, 10:59 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 10:59 PM
    That sounds like a good suggestion, thanks,
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,547Posts Today

8,172Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin