Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • eccles-cake
    • By eccles-cake 16th Apr 18, 10:21 PM
    • 122Posts
    • 232Thanks
    eccles-cake
    Ok to only use part of train ticket?
    • 16th Apr 18, 10:21 PM
    Ok to only use part of train ticket? 16th Apr 18 at 10:21 PM
    I wanted return train tickets for eccles to Liverpool for this Saturday. Looking at best options it was 13+ which I thought was pretty steep. I knew the service started (or called through) Manchester Victoria so I searched for that journey and the fair was 3.80 rtn a tenner cheaper. My question is can I buy the Victoria to Liverpool return but only get on/off at eccles?
    Not posted for a very long time, hope someone can help!
Page 1
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 16th Apr 18, 11:06 PM
    • 9,312 Posts
    • 9,596 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 16th Apr 18, 11:06 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 11:06 PM
    I've not been able to find the cheaper fares you mention, but are you sure you are comparing like with like?

There are Advance Singles from Victoria to L'pool which are significantly cheaper, and if you were thinking of using those then you are only allowed to start or finish your journey at the stations stated on the tickets.
    Another restriction of Advance Singles is that you must travel on the booked trains.
    • stragglebod
    • By stragglebod 18th Apr 18, 4:41 PM
    • 218 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    stragglebod
    • 18th Apr 18, 4:41 PM
    • 18th Apr 18, 4:41 PM
    There's a 3.80 advance single from Victoria to Lime Street - you can only use the booked train, and you can't get on anywhere except Victoria or get off anywhere except Lime Street.

If you risk it and get caught you might have to buy a new ticket, might get fined, might even get prosecuted.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

145Posts Today

1,382Users online

Martin's Twitter