Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nozzla
    • By nozzla 16th Apr 18, 9:57 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    nozzla
    Junior ISA's
    • 16th Apr 18, 9:57 PM
    Junior ISA's 16th Apr 18 at 9:57 PM
    We've been putting money into a junior ISA for over 4 years, all from child benefit. Issue now is that we've realised that we shouldn't have received the child benefit due to the high earners tax.

I've read many Terms and conditions so expect the answer is no, but is there any other way apart from death or terminal illness whereby a parent can take money from the ISA?
Page 1
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 16th Apr 18, 10:14 PM
    • 2,705 Posts
    • 2,056 Thanks
    Alexland
    • 16th Apr 18, 10:14 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 10:14 PM
    Although I cannot help you get the money out the Junior ISA it is worth remembering that there are methods such as making pension contributions to reduce your Adjusted Net Income(s) such that you may still qualify for some or all of the child benefit.

https://www.pruadviser.co.uk/knowledge-literature/knowledge-library/reduce-high-income-child-benefit-charge/#

Alex.
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 16th Apr 18, 11:49 PM
    • 2,387 Posts
    • 1,609 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 16th Apr 18, 11:49 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 11:49 PM
    With a JISA I think you get 30 days to change your mind and that's it.
    • JayTee123
    • By JayTee123 20th Apr 18, 2:29 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JayTee123
    • 20th Apr 18, 2:29 PM
    • 20th Apr 18, 2:29 PM
    Sorry if this should be a new thread - I'm new to this and it may well be in the wrong place!

This is a separate question. (I'm at the opposite end of the financial spectrum and can't shed any light on it).

Can parents who live apart (no longer in a relationship) both hold a JISA? To clarify, I am aware that a child can have two JISAs - one cash and one stocks and shares, but can each have a different registered contact?

I haven't managed to find any info on this elsewhere. Reason for asking is that unfortunately things are very poor between ex and I and I don't know if our little one has a JISA at all - there was some talk of her opening one but I don't know if she ever did... (any help as to how to find out without having to ask outright would be good - I know you can do it for CTFs)

At this moment in time I'm not certain that a JISA is the way to go - whilst I realise that only the child can access it when they're older, the reality is that her mother is a financial black hole and can be very manipulative, so even when she reaches 18, I'm not sure I would be happy with all control over the money being in her hands due to her mother's influence who she lives with most...
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 20th Apr 18, 3:52 PM
    • 25,762 Posts
    • 15,222 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 20th Apr 18, 3:52 PM
    • 20th Apr 18, 3:52 PM
    I've read many Terms and conditions so expect the answer is no,
    You are correct, (except in the saddest of circumstances).

https://www.gov.uk/junior-individual-savings-accounts/if-your-child-is-terminally-ill-or-dies
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 20th Apr 18, 4:17 PM
    • 25,762 Posts
    • 15,222 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 20th Apr 18, 4:17 PM
    • 20th Apr 18, 4:17 PM
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/junior-individual-savings-accounts-for-managers-isas-setting-up-junior-isas

There is no indication above that there can be more than one "registered contact" at any one time.

At this moment in time I'm not certain that a JISA is the way to go
    There are other ways of saving in bare trust for your child but remember the "100 rule".

However, the child has an absolute right to access and control of such assets at the age of 18 (16 in Scotland).

You might just consider your own ISA as "earmarked" for your child and make a gift at a time you consider suitable?

There seems to be no way of checking whether a JISA is already held except for asking your ex wife.
    • JayTee123
    • By JayTee123 20th Apr 18, 4:41 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JayTee123
    • 20th Apr 18, 4:41 PM
    • 20th Apr 18, 4:41 PM
    Thanks for the info (and suggestions). I haven't heard of the 100 rule but maybe if I search up bare trust I'll be enlightened! Yes, whilst I know that legally etc. the money is hers, I can't exclude the possibility she may be subjected to some form of emotional blackmail. As I don't currently have an ISA, I could do as suggested - open one and consider it earmarked...

I guess that should allow the same benefits (aside from it being locked away - I think it's important enough for me to leave it alone) whilst allowing me to decide if and when to grant access to the result...
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 20th Apr 18, 5:59 PM
    • 25,762 Posts
    • 15,222 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 20th Apr 18, 5:59 PM
    • 20th Apr 18, 5:59 PM
    Re "100 rule"

https://www.gov.uk/savings-for-children

http://www.taxagility.com/parental-trusts-for-children/
    • JayTee123
    • By JayTee123 23rd Apr 18, 9:03 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JayTee123
    • 23rd Apr 18, 9:03 AM
    • 23rd Apr 18, 9:03 AM
    Aha ok, I see what you mean about the 100 rule...

A slightly different question now taking into account that children can hold two junior ISAs - a cash ISA and a stocks and shares ISA. Can you decide to 'sell' the stocks and shares in that ISA before maturity and either hold it as cash or move it to the cash ISA.

My thinking is thus - if your child's stocks and shares ISA has performed well to date but the ISA will be reaching maturity in the next couple of years, it would be good to be able to secure the value of the pot to protect it against market variations which may or may not happen in the final period before maturity.

Alternatively are the funds kept completely distinct with the money in the stocks and shares ISA locked in until maturity no matter what?
    • Zorillo
    • By Zorillo 23rd Apr 18, 9:19 AM
    • 223 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    Zorillo
    Yes, you could do that. You can't contribute more than c.4100 (not the exact figure) in total across the S&S and Cash JISA in any one year, so there's no danger of breaking any rules by holding cash in the S&S part.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 23rd Apr 18, 8:42 PM
    • 25,762 Posts
    • 15,222 Thanks
    xylophone
    https://www.gov.uk/junior-individual-savings-accounts/add-money-to-an-account

You can transfer money between:

your child's Junior ISAs
    • kish151
    • By kish151 24th Apr 18, 12:00 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    kish151
    Thanks for the link!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

410Posts Today

5,586Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Donald Trump has apologised and admits he said would when he meant "wouldn't" when siding with Putin over US inte? https://t.co/z1CRJSkEO1

• About to watch #AckleyBridge on C4+1. I do enjoy it, even though I always feel somewhat stressed and depressed after watching.

• RT @stevenowottny: 19/30 UK airports now charge you for spending 10 mins dropping someone off at the terminal - good investigation from @je?

• Follow Martin