Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • KP24
    • By KP24 16th Apr 18, 8:55 PM
    • 16Posts
    • 1Thanks
    KP24
    Moved house - Fuel Dillemma
    • 16th Apr 18, 8:55 PM
    Moved house - Fuel Dillemma 16th Apr 18 at 8:55 PM
    Hi all,

I moved into my new property in August last year. Gas is supplied by BG and Electricity by EON. Gave the opening meter reads and decided to stay with their tarriffs.

For BG, i was put on their standard tarriff. And, due to the very long winter we've had, and the low monthly payments i agreed to, i am now in a debit of about 300.

I can switch provider but if i do, i will need to pay the 300 (or it might be slightly lower as i haven't used the heating much recently so will be reflected in my final meter reading). The alternative (which BG themselves suggested), is to stick it out until August/September, at which point i will have given more readings, it will have been summer, meaning my overall 'exit cost' will likely be lower.

At the moment, my monthly payments for gas are 60 and electricity is around 25. Putting my usage into comparison sites, i can get a dual fuel deal for around 60 a month.

Do i just bite the bullet, leave BG and EON now, pay the fees and start afresh with a single duel fuel provider? Or stick it out and do as BG suggested??

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • D_M_E
    • By D_M_E 16th Apr 18, 9:19 PM
    • 2,078 Posts
    • 69,678 Thanks
    D_M_E
    • 16th Apr 18, 9:19 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 9:19 PM
    You are paying over the odds by being on the standard tariff.

Pay off the arrears and SWITCH NOW and get off the expensive standard tariff - being on the ST means you can switchy without penalty.
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 17th Apr 18, 7:15 AM
    • 3,359 Posts
    • 2,188 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 17th Apr 18, 7:15 AM
    • 17th Apr 18, 7:15 AM

Do i just bite the bullet, leave BG and EON now, pay the fees and start afresh with a single duel fuel provider?
    Originally posted by KP24
    You've got a good idea now ow your annual consumption - your gas will drop dramatically over the next few months, your electric less so - and use a comparison site to see if separate suppliers is a better option.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • macman
    • By macman 17th Apr 18, 12:57 PM
    • 42,793 Posts
    • 18,040 Thanks
    macman
    • 17th Apr 18, 12:57 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 12:57 PM
    Of course BG will suggest you stay on their SVT-it's the most expensive. You will need to clear any debt if you switch supplier. At the very least, switch to a cheaper BG tariff.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
  • E.ON Company Representative: Malc
    • 20th Apr 18, 4:21 PM
    E.ON Tariffs
    • 20th Apr 18, 4:21 PM
    Hi all,

I moved into my new property in August last year. Gas is supplied by BG and Electricity by EON. Gave the opening meter reads and decided to stay with their tarriffs.

For BG, i was put on their standard tarriff. And, due to the very long winter we've had, and the low monthly payments i agreed to, i am now in a debit of about 300.

I can switch provider but if i do, i will need to pay the 300 (or it might be slightly lower as i haven't used the heating much recently so will be reflected in my final meter reading). The alternative (which BG themselves suggested), is to stick it out until August/September, at which point i will have given more readings, it will have been summer, meaning my overall 'exit cost' will likely be lower.

At the moment, my monthly payments for gas are 60 and electricity is around 25. Putting my usage into comparison sites, i can get a dual fuel deal for around 60 a month.

Do i just bite the bullet, leave BG and EON now, pay the fees and start afresh with a single duel fuel provider? Or stick it out and do as BG suggested??

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks in advance
    Originally posted by KP24
    Hello KP24.

What electricity tariff are you on with us? If you're on our standard tariff - Energy Plan - there are no exit fees leaving you free to change supplier without penalty. If you signed up to a Fixed Tariff last August, some have exit fees for changing supplier outside of the renewal period but some don't.

Once you enter the renewal period or Price Protection window, any exit fees no longer apply. Also, provided the new supplier contacts us to take over during this window, we'll keep you on the cheaper prices whilst the switch goes through even if this is after the contract ends. The Price Protection window is open 49 calendar days before the tariff end date until 20 working days after.

Hope this is of interest KP24. Let me know if you need any more information as happy to help.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

231Posts Today

1,597Users online

Martin's Twitter