Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 38
    • Aky
    • By Aky 3rd Mar 18, 12:11 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Aky
    The company is based in Thornton Heath ;My Best Windows : call guy Khalid on 07428657999
    Last edited by Aky; 03-03-2018 at 12:13 PM.
    • hotbern
    • By hotbern 21st Mar 18, 2:06 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 670 Thanks
    hotbern
    Hi all.
    I thought I would add my tuppence worth (or 2k worth if I were Anglian ;-) ). We're putting our house on the market but wanted to do the windows at the front first, to add kerb appeal (broken window, rotten frames etc).
    We've a bay which is 180x60 (x2) and 180x120. Also 2 bedroom windows which are 175x70. I asked for the cheapest because we're not going to reap the benefits, and I've been quoted 1739 by a local company which I think is pretty good :-).
    Just checking it is!!! :-)
    • jonnywright
    • By jonnywright 26th Mar 18, 1:05 AM
    • 44 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    jonnywright
    Brand recommendations
    Having pretty much read this whole thread (albeit most of it skim read), I am here with a slightly different question to most. We've (the wife and I) just bought a new place which needs quite a lot of work - including the windows and doors. I have absolutely no intention of going with a national firm.

At our previous place, we had a lot of work done by a local builder, who we now have a good working relationship with, and (FWIW) he has a FENSA certified installer on his books. For most of their work, they get "budget" standard white uPVC windows and doors and supply and install them.

The place we've bought is going to be a long-term home (and long-term project) so I am being pretty meticulous over what we are buying and installing. My plan is to choose the windows and doors myself and have our builder install them - this way I can negotiate the best prices for the products (it may mean going through the builder for trade prices, but regardless I will be choosing the product) and I will know exactly how much I am paying for labour etc.

I have two questions, firstly is this a good idea? Or am I kidding myself thinking that I can make the best decisions on what to buy? Or is it even worth paying a bit extra for the more "premium" brands, instead of what a local firm would supply?

Secondly (dependant on the answer to Q1), can anyone comment on the below brands which I've identified, or suggest any others? I know this question isn't necessarily a simple one to answer - partly because I don't know exactly what features, colours etc. I want from the products, but once I know certain brands are reputable, I can browse their products at my leisure.
    • Rehau
    • Koemmerling
    • Veka
    • Profile22
    • Residence Collection
    • KAT
    • Deceuninck

Thanks
    • no1catman
    • By no1catman 26th Mar 18, 2:02 PM
    • 2,698 Posts
    • 2,054 Thanks
    no1catman
    I had Rehau fitted in two bays earlier this year, with very effective noise reduction, their energy saving has been very good as well.
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
    • greenface
    • By greenface 10th Apr 18, 10:53 PM
    • 4,669 Posts
    • 2,349 Thanks
    greenface
    Never heard of residence , rest are good and been around a while . Its not all about the frames that make them the best frames ,its about the locks , the screws they use to fit the hinges . the care they take when cutting the beads . the way they grove the joints after welding . if colour are they foiled or sprayed , sightline gasket or double sided , what and when they re-enforce the frames , outer. midrails .. sash doors etc . type and style of locks in their doors . safety features . k glass or argon or planitherm . go and visit a few places and speak to the people that make them not sell them , talk to a decent joiner see what he thinks ,
    hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world
    • nick4692
    • By nick4692 1st May 18, 10:10 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    nick4692
    Help buying windows and doors.
    Always read these threads with interest after more than thirty years in the business and now run an information resource website helping people find the right home improvement products.

There is no bad door or window on the market but where they differ is who makes them, the overall supply chain and the quality of the installation. All the current systems should be designed to meet or exceed industry standards for weather performance and security, as well as the quality of pvcu/aluminium and quality of paint finish or the foil.

Where they can also differ is in their aesthetics, overall sightlines, engineering, the quality of the hardware/components, the choices available and their brand perception.

Any correctly made and installed window and door should give you reliable service long term.

The prices on home improvements are really hard to figure out as historically the big guys have worked on these too good to be true offers that are now widely established as not 'just for tonight'. Local is the way to go as the smaller local firms have a reputation to uphold and strive to do the very best they can.

What you might not know is that there are nearly 15000 window companies in the UK and only about 800 of these actually manufacture. So the industry today is very much set up to buy the fabricated ready-made product. But this is not a bad thing.

The door and window industry is tainted with horror stories, but the reality is window companies are ethical and professional by and large.

So always get two or three quotes, if a salesman ever rubbishes anyone else's product or a feature a competitor's window has that theirs does not, that is your very strong hint to look elsewhere. All windows and doors on the market are pretty much the same as standards have brought the industry specifications closer together.

What I would say to homeowners is always be realistic and expectations should be managed. A salesman keen to secure your business will tell you that fitting new windows and doors will be as trouble free as having a new carpet fitted! This is not the case. There will probably be a mess, there will probably be disruption as you're having a major external element of your home removed and replaced.

Happy to help anyone out if they need help choosing the right product, aluminium or PVCu, folding sliding or other types of doors. I've been running our free information site for many years to help homeowners buy aluminium but the expertise stretches to PVCu as well.

Nick
    A lifetime of double glazing and trying to improve the image of it.
    • nick4692
    • By nick4692 1st May 18, 10:13 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    nick4692
    Having pretty much read this whole thread (albeit most of it skim read), I am here with a slightly different question to most. We've (the wife and I) just bought a new place which needs quite a lot of work - including the windows and doors. I have absolutely no intention of going with a national firm.

At our previous place, we had a lot of work done by a local builder, who we now have a good working relationship with, and (FWIW) he has a FENSA certified installer on his books. For most of their work, they get "budget" standard white uPVC windows and doors and supply and install them.

The place we've bought is going to be a long-term home (and long-term project) so I am being pretty meticulous over what we are buying and installing. My plan is to choose the windows and doors myself and have our builder install them - this way I can negotiate the best prices for the products (it may mean going through the builder for trade prices, but regardless I will be choosing the product) and I will know exactly how much I am paying for labour etc.

I have two questions, firstly is this a good idea? Or am I kidding myself thinking that I can make the best decisions on what to buy? Or is it even worth paying a bit extra for the more "premium" brands, instead of what a local firm would supply?

Secondly (dependant on the answer to Q1), can anyone comment on the below brands which I've identified, or suggest any others? I know this question isn't necessarily a simple one to answer - partly because I don't know exactly what features, colours etc. I want from the products, but once I know certain brands are reputable, I can browse their products at my leisure.
    • Rehau
    • Koemmerling
    • Veka
    • Profile22
    • Residence Collection
    • KAT
    • Deceuninck

Thanks
    Originally posted by jonnywright
    Builders can fit windows and doors but the reality is you'll get less of a guarantee on the product that way although you will save money on the cost of the product. I've had many scenarios where a builder has not fitted a product correctly and blamed it on a design fault. Windows and doors today don't really have design faults! Its bad fitting mostly that lets them down.

So if you're looking for more peace of mind, my advice is to go with a company that supplies and installs rather than let your builder do it. Apologies of course to the many excellent builders that are great at fitting windows

To answer your question on the brands the industry generally holds these in pretty high regard but I would rank them as follows:

Rehau 2
    Koemmerling 4
    Veka 3
    Profile22
    Residence Collection 1
    KAT 6 (not their brand they use another and rebrand it as theirs. I think it's Spectus).
    Deceuninck 5

One brand you should consider is Liniar. Very very good windows and doors and they do a slim version which is great as PVCu can be bulky.
    Last edited by nick4692; 01-05-2018 at 10:15 AM.
    A lifetime of double glazing and trying to improve the image of it.
    • greenface
    • By greenface 8th May 18, 9:59 PM
    • 4,669 Posts
    • 2,349 Thanks
    greenface
    great advice nick ,
    • stephcyl
    • By stephcyl 25th May 18, 11:27 AM
    • 69 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    stephcyl
    Is this quote ok - Reading Berkshire?
    I have received a quote of 4600 from a semi-national company in Reading for my small link-detached house:

Toilet: 900 x 500mm
    Kitchen: 1200 x 1050 mm
    Front bed: 1200 x120033
    Bathroom: 900 x 1200mm
    Rear beds x 2: 1200 x 1200mm
    Bay: 6500 x 1600mmmm
    1 x standard composite door

All glazing to be Argon Gas filled toughened double glazed units with 'Low E'glass
    internally (28mm thick) to all wall frames for improved thermal insulation (approx'
    50% better insulation than ordinary glass units.) Combined with Argon filled
    performance glass to provide insulation of 1.2W/m2k(greater than an eleven inch
    cavity wall).

Is this a fair quote please? Seems a lot compared with the quotes here.
    Thanks
    Last edited by stephcyl; 25-05-2018 at 11:29 AM.
    • greenface
    • By greenface 7th Jun 18, 7:13 AM
    • 4,669 Posts
    • 2,349 Thanks
    greenface
    your bay is huge for a "small linked House" . How is it split up . You are concentrating to much about your glass also . most DG units are argon or above . 28mm although why toughened everywhere (unusual ) probs max 3k plus your bay . a lot depends on style & fit
    • Anon
    • By Anon 8th Jun 18, 10:02 PM
    • 13,221 Posts
    • 148,204 Thanks
    Anon
    Love Windows have just started advertising on TV with the actress that plays Dot Cotton. They are saying any sized window for 299 all in. The windows are triple glazed A+ and the website looks impressive enough, but there seems to be no information about them before May? There are mostly positive reviews on Trust pilot but again nothing before May. Are they new or a relaunch of another company? Any recommendations please?

We are considering replacing 14 windows (assuming a square bay is 3) and possibly two doors, the so I am just trying to get an idea of costs. We had a salesperson out last year but never did get a straight answer how much it would cost so cancelled the follow up.

Many thanks
    • greenface
    • By greenface 28th Jun 18, 8:08 AM
    • 4,669 Posts
    • 2,349 Thanks
    greenface
    Get a few around and give them about an hour or so each get a feel for the people . I would rather see the boss or fitter than a salesman knocking . price around local and get love windows (ive never heard of them ) but they could have bought a big firm . I cannot see 299 each without extras from a national company but its doable . I expect its openers extra . external cills extra . bay poles extra .
    • Listerofsmeg
    • By Listerofsmeg 29th Jun 18, 9:59 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Listerofsmeg
    Hi, I have recently got quotes from Anglian and 3 local companies for the 9 windows in my maisonette.
    Anglian quoted near double the other companies with 8500. With a special offer of course.
    Now the local companies are quoting
    1. 4680 for rehau 70 branded windows but did not state if this would be A rated. From some reading the rehau 70 only achieves this with thermal sleeving. Also not checkatrade registered where other two are but are Fensa registered.
    2. 4500 for SGM eco energy plus branded windows (A rated)
    3. 3600 for Pilkington energiKare branded windows (A rated)
    Now to me the 3rd quote seems the obvious one to go for but Pilkington didnt make nick4692's list of window manufacturers. Should this be a concern? I have seen threads about pilkington windows and not seen negatives.
    Which would quote would you go with?
    Last edited by Listerofsmeg; 29-06-2018 at 10:02 PM.
    • greenface
    • By greenface 18th Jul 18, 8:16 PM
    • 4,669 Posts
    • 2,349 Thanks
    greenface
    Hi, I have recently got quotes from Anglian and 3 local companies for the 9 windows in my maisonette.
    Anglian quoted near double the other companies with 8500. With a special offer of course.
    Now the local companies are quoting
    1. 4680 for rehau 70 branded windows but did not state if this would be A rated. From some reading the rehau 70 only achieves this with thermal sleeving. Also not checkatrade registered where other two are but are Fensa registered.
    2. 4500 for SGM eco energy plus branded windows (A rated)
    3. 3600 for Pilkington energiKare branded windows (A rated)
    Now to me the 3rd quote seems the obvious one to go for but Pilkington didnt make nick4692's list of window manufacturers. Should this be a concern? I have seen threads about pilkington windows and not seen negatives.
    Which would quote would you go with?
    Originally posted by Listerofsmeg
    Have a nose at their profile and see the team fitting . ask the customers why they went and what they think of the fitters and cleaning safety issues etc . I don't know the companies but the frames if a rated have reached that benchmark for a reason .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,857Posts Today

7,934Users online

Martin's Twitter