Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 38
    • Aky
    • By Aky 3rd Mar 18, 12:11 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Aky
    The company is based in Thornton Heath ;My Best Windows : call guy Khalid on 07428657999
    Last edited by Aky; 03-03-2018 at 12:13 PM.
    • hotbern
    • By hotbern 21st Mar 18, 2:06 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 670 Thanks
    hotbern
    Hi all.
    I thought I would add my tuppence worth (or 2k worth if I were Anglian ;-) ). We're putting our house on the market but wanted to do the windows at the front first, to add kerb appeal (broken window, rotten frames etc).
    We've a bay which is 180x60 (x2) and 180x120. Also 2 bedroom windows which are 175x70. I asked for the cheapest because we're not going to reap the benefits, and I've been quoted 1739 by a local company which I think is pretty good :-).
    Just checking it is!!! :-)
    • jonnywright
    • By jonnywright 26th Mar 18, 1:05 AM
    • 44 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    jonnywright
    Brand recommendations
    Having pretty much read this whole thread (albeit most of it skim read), I am here with a slightly different question to most. We've (the wife and I) just bought a new place which needs quite a lot of work - including the windows and doors. I have absolutely no intention of going with a national firm.

At our previous place, we had a lot of work done by a local builder, who we now have a good working relationship with, and (FWIW) he has a FENSA certified installer on his books. For most of their work, they get "budget" standard white uPVC windows and doors and supply and install them.

The place we've bought is going to be a long-term home (and long-term project) so I am being pretty meticulous over what we are buying and installing. My plan is to choose the windows and doors myself and have our builder install them - this way I can negotiate the best prices for the products (it may mean going through the builder for trade prices, but regardless I will be choosing the product) and I will know exactly how much I am paying for labour etc.

I have two questions, firstly is this a good idea? Or am I kidding myself thinking that I can make the best decisions on what to buy? Or is it even worth paying a bit extra for the more "premium" brands, instead of what a local firm would supply?

Secondly (dependant on the answer to Q1), can anyone comment on the below brands which I've identified, or suggest any others? I know this question isn't necessarily a simple one to answer - partly because I don't know exactly what features, colours etc. I want from the products, but once I know certain brands are reputable, I can browse their products at my leisure.
    • Rehau
    • Koemmerling
    • Veka
    • Profile22
    • Residence Collection
    • KAT
    • Deceuninck

Thanks
    • no1catman
    • By no1catman 26th Mar 18, 2:02 PM
    • 2,664 Posts
    • 2,033 Thanks
    no1catman
    I had Rehau fitted in two bays earlier this year, with very effective noise reduction, their energy saving has been very good as well.
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
    • greenface
    • By greenface 10th Apr 18, 10:53 PM
    • 4,651 Posts
    • 2,347 Thanks
    greenface
    Never heard of residence , rest are good and been around a while . Its not all about the frames that make them the best frames ,its about the locks , the screws they use to fit the hinges . the care they take when cutting the beads . the way they grove the joints after welding . if colour are they foiled or sprayed , sightline gasket or double sided , what and when they re-enforce the frames , outer. midrails .. sash doors etc . type and style of locks in their doors . safety features . k glass or argon or planitherm . go and visit a few places and speak to the people that make them not sell them , talk to a decent joiner see what he thinks ,
    hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,303Posts Today

8,035Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Facebook today admitted in parliament that after it heard of my defamation lawsuit against it for 50 fake scam ads? https://t.co/XttOnyH9sq

• RT @jamiesusskind: After more than 10 years, and with such sadness, I am leaving Labour. I'm doing it for the same reason that I joined: be?

• RT @Deeangelique_: I suggested @MartinSLewis get 'I Don't Do Ads' tattooed to his forehead yesterday. Today he posted this. I gave Martin L?

• Follow Martin