Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • abbiesmom
    • By abbiesmom 16th Apr 18, 8:03 PM
    • 57Posts
    • 19Thanks
    abbiesmom
    incorrect data
    • 16th Apr 18, 8:03 PM
    incorrect data 16th Apr 18 at 8:03 PM
    Hi,
    I have just opened my latest clearscore report having not checked it for a while as I'm looking to get a mortgage in the next few months. There are 2 catalogue accounts showing on there opened in November last year at an address of somebody I know but I have never lived there.

I have now paid for the 2 statutory reports and these accounts are not on there to dispute but obviously I am not linked to this address and therefore could be the reason they don't show?

I have contacted the catalogue companies to dispute the records - what else do I do?

It was showing a 0 balance but either way these are not my accounts and I don't want them adversely affecting my mortgage application.

I have raised a dispute via clearscore too.
Page 1
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 16th Apr 18, 8:08 PM
    • 918 Posts
    • 504 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 16th Apr 18, 8:08 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 8:08 PM
    Contact the CRA!!!8217;s and the catalogue companies.

As you!!!8217;ve already done.
    • Debt_suvivor
    • By Debt_suvivor 16th Apr 18, 11:37 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Debt_suvivor
    • 16th Apr 18, 11:37 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 11:37 PM
    Sounds possibly like fraud. Get it resolved with the creditors hun
    • Candyapple
    • By Candyapple 17th Apr 18, 12:28 PM
    • 2,739 Posts
    • 2,067 Thanks
    Candyapple
    • 17th Apr 18, 12:28 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 12:28 PM
    The free versions to check your credit files are below:
    Experian: www.moneysavingexpert.com/creditclub
    Equifax: www.clearscore.com
    Call Credit: www.noddle.co.uk

Contact the catalogue companies in writing and confirm that the account(s) set-up are fraudulent and that you want them removed from your credit history and confirmation once it has been done.

If it's someone you know, they may be looking to use your ID again in the future to open up a fraudulent account so have a look at taking this out:
    https://www.cifas.org.uk/services/identity-protection/protective-registration
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • National Debtline
    • 18th Apr 18, 1:06 PM
    • 18th Apr 18, 1:06 PM
    Hi abbiesmom

If you have been a victim of fraud you'll need to report it to Action Fraud (https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/), the UK's fraud reporting centre. They usually provide a crime reference number which you can give to the catalogue companies when you dispute the debts. If they accept the debts were fraudulent all record of them should be removed from your credit file.

As Candyapply says, registering with cifas for a small annual fee is also a good idea. It makes it harder for anyone to fraudulently take out credit in your name in the future. Good luck with it all.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,077Posts Today

8,361Users online

Martin's Twitter