Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tiernan46
    • By Tiernan46 16th Apr 18, 8:02 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Tiernan46
    Rotten garage door lintel
    • 16th Apr 18, 8:02 PM
    Rotten garage door lintel 16th Apr 18 at 8:02 PM
    Hello all. Just joined. Any advise on the following would be welcome.

The wooden lintel on my garage door is rotting. The door itself is an up and over and is basically okay. I would like to replace the door, but I am wondering whether a door installer could tackle the rotten lintel and the brickwork (three courses) above. The garage is brick detached with a wooden sloping roof. In the circumstances would a builder be the best solution ?
Page 1
    • Furts
    • By Furts 16th Apr 18, 8:16 PM
    • 4,233 Posts
    • 2,742 Thanks
    Furts
    • 16th Apr 18, 8:16 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 8:16 PM
    you would need to post a photo for me to understand what is happening here. However rot equals water ingress so where is this water getting in and how are you proposing to cure this?
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 17th Apr 18, 12:56 AM
    • 9,963 Posts
    • 11,232 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 17th Apr 18, 12:56 AM
    • 17th Apr 18, 12:56 AM
    you would need to post a photo for me to understand what is happening here. However rot equals water ingress so where is this water getting in and how are you proposing to cure this?
    Originally posted by Furts
    There doesn't necessarily have to be any water getting into the garage as the wooden lintel could simply be rotting from the outside.
    I'm guessing that this picture is a very similar setup to the situation that the OP has:

https://ashtonshandymanservices.com/2017/03/01/lintel-replaced-over-garage-door/

Unless the door installer was also well experienced with brickwork and building repairs, I wouldn't personally use them to do the replacement but for find a recommended builder.
    Last edited by shaun from Africa; 17-04-2018 at 12:58 AM.
    • Tiernan46
    • By Tiernan46 17th Apr 18, 9:57 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Tiernan46
    • 17th Apr 18, 9:57 AM
    Rotten garage door lintel
    • 17th Apr 18, 9:57 AM
    Spot on Shaun. You have have just confirmed my suspicion that a rrecommended builder would be the best option. Thank you.
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 17th Apr 18, 11:45 AM
    • 2,737 Posts
    • 3,916 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 17th Apr 18, 11:45 AM
    • 17th Apr 18, 11:45 AM
    Why do I get the feeling that Tiernan is going to come back with contact details for his 'wonderful builder'.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,134Posts Today

7,193Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin