Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fabforty
    • By fabforty 16th Apr 18, 7:33 PM
    • 743Posts
    • 3,017Thanks
    fabforty
    Quick bankruptcy questions
    • 16th Apr 18, 7:33 PM
    Quick bankruptcy questions 16th Apr 18 at 7:33 PM
    I have a read a couple of other threads and the sticky but I'm getting confused - might be my medication .

I understand that bankruptcy lasts one year (normally), and that an IPA lasts three years. If someone goes bankrupt without an IPA - on UC, with no excess income - and they are discharged after one year. If they then start working within the next two years, can an IPA be put in place, or is it a case of the bankruptcy is finished and that's it?

Sorry if this has already been asked.

Secondly, could a CCJ for overpayment of salary be included in bankruptcy? There is no suggestion of wrongdoing on the part of the employee - a clerical error meant they were overpaid approx 800 p.a for 17 years Nobody noticed until they took early retirement and there was a discrepancy. Add interest and court costs (as employee has not agreed to repay), and if judgment is made against them - they have no means of repaying, hence bankruptcy.
Page 1
    • TheGardener
    • By TheGardener 16th Apr 18, 8:21 PM
    • 2,303 Posts
    • 2,203 Thanks
    TheGardener
    • 16th Apr 18, 8:21 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 8:21 PM
    First question: If you haven't had an IPA set by the time you are discharged at the end of the year - then you have no further financial obligation to the OR. Once discharged, no IPA can be set up.

CCJ's are included in bankruptcy unless they are for certain exempt debts such a fraudulent benefits claim
    • fabforty
    • By fabforty 17th Apr 18, 1:37 PM
    • 743 Posts
    • 3,017 Thanks
    fabforty
    • 17th Apr 18, 1:37 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 1:37 PM
    Great, thank you x
    • Peanuckle
    • By Peanuckle 18th Apr 18, 12:47 AM
    • 463 Posts
    • 918 Thanks
    Peanuckle
    • 18th Apr 18, 12:47 AM
    • 18th Apr 18, 12:47 AM
    First question: If you haven't had an IPA set by the time you are discharged at the end of the year - then you have no further financial obligation to the OR. Once discharged, no IPA can be set up.
    Originally posted by TheGardener
    Is this the same across the UK or does it differ between England, Scotland etc?
    • fermi
    • By fermi 18th Apr 18, 6:58 AM
    • 39,460 Posts
    • 47,486 Thanks
    fermi
    • 18th Apr 18, 6:58 AM
    • 18th Apr 18, 6:58 AM
    The same as far as I am aware, unless something has changed recently.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Bankruptcy, Credit Cards and Loans boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
    • Peanuckle
    • By Peanuckle 19th Apr 18, 10:27 AM
    • 463 Posts
    • 918 Thanks
    Peanuckle
    • 19th Apr 18, 10:27 AM
    • 19th Apr 18, 10:27 AM
    I was told this morning that in Scotland an IPA is now known as a Debtor Contribution Order (DCO) and one is set up in all sequestration cases (bankruptcies), if the debtor has an income too low to collect anything from then the DCO is set at zero but because it's already in place it can be reassessed anytime in the four years it's active for.

Guess this answers my question about whether hubby would have to declare occasional work after discharge
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

138Posts Today

1,980Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin