Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • theone999
    • By theone999 16th Apr 18, 7:29 PM
    • 131Posts
    • 35Thanks
    theone999
    dvla change of address online how long lived at present address
    • 16th Apr 18, 7:29 PM
    dvla change of address online how long lived at present address 16th Apr 18 at 7:29 PM
    so I didn't do enough research to find out how to change address by post where it doesn't ask you how long you've lived at your current address and stupidly did it online.

will I get fined now automatically for putting having lived at current address for 7 months before updating?

I literally don't have £1000 to pay the fine.
Page 1
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 16th Apr 18, 7:48 PM
    • 3,202 Posts
    • 1,989 Thanks
    Car 54
    • 16th Apr 18, 7:48 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 7:48 PM
    I've never heard of anyone being prosecuted for that. I think it's very unlikely.

Anyway, the £1,000 is the maximum. Any fine would be much income-related.
    • theone999
    • By theone999 16th Apr 18, 8:04 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    theone999
    • 16th Apr 18, 8:04 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 8:04 PM
    I've never heard of anyone being prosecuted for that. I think it's very unlikely.

Anyway, the £1,000 is the maximum. Any fine would be much income-related.
    Originally posted by Car 54
    right, I'm a mature student for the year, so not really any income.

anyway when i googled it seemed to suggest only the police pulling you over would instigate a prosecution. but I haven't managed to search anything to see if fines are automatically generated by the DVLA if when changing address online to say you've been at current residence for anything more than 0 months. It basically asking you to incriminate yourself. Which is why I should have done more research I guess before I decided to finally change my address over.
    • Raxiel
    • By Raxiel 16th Apr 18, 9:22 PM
    • 722 Posts
    • 416 Thanks
    Raxiel
    • 16th Apr 18, 9:22 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 9:22 PM
    You've done it now. I wouldn't worry about it.

A more pressing concern is, do you know if any post (tickets for example) could have been sent to the old address before you updated it?
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 16th Apr 18, 9:28 PM
    • 3,202 Posts
    • 1,989 Thanks
    Car 54
    • 16th Apr 18, 9:28 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 9:28 PM
    right, I'm a mature student for the year, so not really any income.

anyway when i googled it seemed to suggest only the police pulling you over would instigate a prosecution. but I haven't managed to search anything to see if fines are automatically generated by the DVLA if when changing address online to say you've been at current residence for anything more than 0 months. It basically asking you to incriminate yourself. Which is why I should have done more research I guess before I decided to finally change my address over.
    Originally posted by theone999
    It's not going to happen. For a more expert opinion, post on pepipoo.com, but I'd be surprised if anyone on there has ever heard of a prosecution unless there was some massively aggravating circumstances.

If you should ever find yourself being fined for something else, the courts use a minimum income (£120?) when calculating fines.
    • theone999
    • By theone999 17th Apr 18, 1:58 AM
    • 131 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    theone999
    • 17th Apr 18, 1:58 AM
    • 17th Apr 18, 1:58 AM
    You've done it now. I wouldn't worry about it.

A more pressing concern is, do you know if any post (tickets for example) could have been sent to the old address before you updated it?
    Originally posted by Raxiel
    I paid for RM redirection for 1 year, so no, no mail of any kind would have been missed.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 17th Apr 18, 8:12 AM
    • 18,039 Posts
    • 16,351 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 17th Apr 18, 8:12 AM
    • 17th Apr 18, 8:12 AM
    so I didn't do enough research to find out how to change address by post where it doesn't ask you how long you've lived at your current address and stupidly did it online.

will I get fined now automatically for putting having lived at current address for 7 months before updating?

I literally don't have £1000 to pay the fine.
    Originally posted by theone999
    The law requires your licence and V5C to be registered to an address at which you can be quickly and reliably contacted. So long as your old one is redirected, that covers the base. However, postal redirection is not particularly quick or reliable (I received something over the weekend postmarked to the original address on 28/3, and there's definitely some stuff that gets missed), so changing asap is wise.
    • Svein Forkbeard
    • By Svein Forkbeard 17th Apr 18, 8:17 AM
    • 411 Posts
    • 1,003 Thanks
    Svein Forkbeard
    • 17th Apr 18, 8:17 AM
    • 17th Apr 18, 8:17 AM
    My licence was registered at my mothers address for about 20-25 years after I left home. Don't sweat it.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
    • theone999
    • By theone999 5th May 18, 8:17 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    theone999
    • 5th May 18, 8:17 PM
    • 5th May 18, 8:17 PM
    just for anyone searching for similar questions who happen across the thread, i am the original poster of the thread and I am please to say the DVLA gave me a new licence / logbook without giving me a fine alongside.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

257Posts Today

3,734Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin