Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Harworth
    • By Harworth 16th Apr 18, 7:29 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Harworth
    how to stop fake entries on Credit Record
    • 16th Apr 18, 7:29 PM
    how to stop fake entries on Credit Record 16th Apr 18 at 7:29 PM
    So, having been turned down for a loan for the first time in my entire life, and although knowing my credit record has been at 999 points for many years, I just couldn't see why. So used Experians free offer to check my record - to my horror TalkMobile had trashed it, although I've not had a contract with them for well over a year. I now was barely in the "fair" category! Chased it up and found that they hadn't taken a direct debit at the end of my contract, they'd then written to me but I'd moved. They accepted it wasn't my fault and I paid them the money rather than argue as it potentially would cost me thousands in interest as we'd need to add to our mortgage rather than take a loan (we're building our own house so any additional lending attracts 500 arrangement fees and is at a higher than normal mortgage rate - so advisor said aq loan was the best thing). So they agree to remove the black mark and after first saying it would take 30 days and me saying NO it won't, they got it taken off same week and my rating went back up to 999! Hooray
    So, a week later we reapply for a loan - refused again. This makes no sense, we have enough disposable, and our property is well worth the loan amount. On a hunch I checked and found ...... Talkmobile were claiming a new unpaid bill "within the last 2 months" ! and again had wrecked my rating! Phoned them up - they admit it is a total error (or lie, as I like to call it) and they'll get it removed. So basically, we've had to go with the mortgage - over the next 15 years this lie/error will cost us thousands. I've written to Experian asking them to stop taking false information and passing this slander onto third parties via my credit record. Got the usual guff of 2we take care" etc.etc, but clearly they don't. On doing a search I find there *loads* of people who Talkmobile are doing this to - one poor guy got his record trashed for an alleged 1 debt!
    So my question is, how do we stop such firms telling lies/Making catastrophic errors? They have cost us several thousand over the next few years as a result in a higher interest rate, and seem to have wrecked countless lives from what I find when just doing quick internet search alone. Our loan advisor laughed and said "we see this with mobile phone and internet providers all the time, they're terrible for it". so the industry plainly knows these firms are getting it wrong - yet nothing is done? I've no idea how many CR agencies they have sent false information to. How do we stop lies/mistakes? Yes, you can "try" and get the firm to admit to it, but for many people its far too late, the damage is done.
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 16th Apr 18, 7:31 PM
    • 18,655 Posts
    • 19,923 Thanks
    zx81
    • 16th Apr 18, 7:31 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 7:31 PM
    Two things you need to do -

1. Dispute any incorrect entries with the CRAs.
    2. Disregard your 999 score.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 16th Apr 18, 7:53 PM
    • 2,132 Posts
    • 1,189 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 16th Apr 18, 7:53 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 7:53 PM
    You don't have a rating or score so ignore it.

Also one late payment marker shouldn't affect a mortgage application - people get mortgages with many defaults and CCJs on their files.

Was it a joint application?
    • nic_c
    • By nic_c 16th Apr 18, 10:32 PM
    • 1,728 Posts
    • 918 Thanks
    nic_c
    • 16th Apr 18, 10:32 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 10:32 PM
    Why would you move stop them taking a DD, had you cancelled it? If you moved why did you not tell them your new address?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

137Posts Today

1,338Users online

Martin's Twitter