Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • James479
    • By James479 16th Apr 18, 6:56 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    James479
    Housing Benefit
    • 16th Apr 18, 6:56 PM
    Housing Benefit 16th Apr 18 at 6:56 PM
    Hi all, slightly desperate at the moment so apologies if this is a silly question, but due to a breakdown in the relationship with my parents I need to move out of their house ASAP. I'm 33, but currently applying for a debt relief order as I have debts of 9500 which I cannot pay. I also have mental health issues with anxiety and depression, and I am currently signed off work by my doctor. I am claiming Universal Credit. It doesn't seem likely that my income will increase anytime soon, so I can't pay rent at the moment, and my UC certainly wouldn't cover it.

Am I stuck at my parents house until I can work / pay rent myself, or is there any way I can move out?
Page 1
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 16th Apr 18, 7:52 PM
    • 6,564 Posts
    • 14,107 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 16th Apr 18, 7:52 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 7:52 PM
    Hi all, slightly desperate at the moment so apologies if this is a silly question, but due to a breakdown in the relationship with my parents I need to move out of their house ASAP. I'm 33, but currently applying for a debt relief order as I have debts of 9500 which I cannot pay. I also have mental health issues with anxiety and depression, and I am currently signed off work by my doctor. I am claiming Universal Credit. It doesn't seem likely that my income will increase anytime soon, so I can't pay rent at the moment, and my UC certainly wouldn't cover it.

Am I stuck at my parents house until I can work / pay rent myself, or is there any way I can move out?
    Originally posted by James479
    Firstly you need to look at the applicable rent benefit paid by UC for your area.

Then you need to find a landlord who takes benefits, get a tenancy and then you can add your rent to your claim.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,579Posts Today

8,271Users online

Martin's Twitter