Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Xchellex81
    • By Xchellex81 16th Apr 18, 6:41 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Xchellex81
    Housing Association prices
    • 16th Apr 18, 6:41 PM
    Housing Association prices 16th Apr 18 at 6:41 PM
    Hi
    Iíve recently applied for a house through a local housing authority they had advertised the house and the price on Rightmove and various other sights. I have sent all my details over and paid for my credit check as requested ! Today the housing Association have contacted me to advise that they think they have under priced the house and now want to increase it by £100 a month! Do I have any rights in this situation??
Page 1
    • Mermaid89
    • By Mermaid89 16th Apr 18, 6:51 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    Mermaid89
    • 16th Apr 18, 6:51 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 6:51 PM
    Oh dear! What a poor show from them. I don't know if you can get your money back re: credit check, but if the extra £100 out-prices you, you haven't yet signed anything so walk away. Did they give a reason (a proper one!) as to why they believed it was undervalued?
    • TheGardener
    • By TheGardener 16th Apr 18, 6:55 PM
    • 2,407 Posts
    • 2,320 Thanks
    TheGardener
    • 16th Apr 18, 6:55 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 6:55 PM
    Very poor practice from a Housing Association - I would put in a formal complaint to them and speak to the local council about it. Most HA's claim charitable status and I would say seeking interest from potential renters AND taking money for checks then bumping up the price is a scam that needs challenging.
    I haven't met a HA that was so poorly informed about local rents that they make this kind of mistake. Are you sure this HA is legitimate?
    • Xchellex81
    • By Xchellex81 16th Apr 18, 7:11 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Xchellex81
    • 16th Apr 18, 7:11 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 7:11 PM
    Yes itís a well known housing Association! The house has been advertised at this price for nearly 3 weeks! We could afford the new price but i am just upset that they could decide to change the price once I had shown interest why not inform me before hand! The only response to them putting the price up is that they had had a meeting and decided to change the price
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 16th Apr 18, 7:31 PM
    • 5,546 Posts
    • 7,784 Thanks
    deannatrois
    • 16th Apr 18, 7:31 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 7:31 PM
    Is it 'social housing' or 'affordable rent (which I think is 80% of market rent)' or some other 'scheme'. You could ask how they determined the rent originally and why its now changed (based on what criteria). Is the rent cheap for the area? But you also need to look at what group its in (first sentence).

But you probably won't be able to challenge it. It isn't right but I am not sure what you can do now. I suppose you could ring Shelter and ask them if you have any options. Unfortunately I suspect you have two.., to rent or to not rent.

Have you been offered the property?
    • HampshireH
    • By HampshireH 16th Apr 18, 8:35 PM
    • 863 Posts
    • 922 Thanks
    HampshireH
    • 16th Apr 18, 8:35 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 8:35 PM
    Social and affordable homes are offered through the housing register and wouldn't usually have a credit check.

This sounds like an Intermediate market rent (80% market value) or a market rent.

Prices are usually determined by the current market. Seems an odd mistake to make but mistakes do happen.

Ask for any fees you have paid back if you decide to go elsewhere.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 16th Apr 18, 9:35 PM
    • 7,291 Posts
    • 6,055 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 16th Apr 18, 9:35 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 9:35 PM
    As you've been obliged by them to pay for a credit check which is now pointless due to their error I would expect them to reimburse you for that if you don't take the property.
    Last edited by Norman Castle; 16-04-2018 at 9:37 PM.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • TDPIX
    • By TDPIX 16th Apr 18, 9:37 PM
    • 221 Posts
    • 441 Thanks
    TDPIX
    • 16th Apr 18, 9:37 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 9:37 PM
    That doesn't sound good.

I doubt it is the case (since it's £100 not £20-30!) but could the increase - or at least part of it - be down to maintenance/service charges?

These could be re-assessed (for the whole scheme) around this time of the year and thus potentially be increased.

If they said rent itself however then that's definitely strange.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

257Posts Today

3,734Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin