Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mae85
    • By Mae85 16th Apr 18, 6:36 PM
    • 51Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Mae85
    ESA support group & medical assessment confusion
    • 16th Apr 18, 6:36 PM
    ESA support group & medical assessment confusion 16th Apr 18 at 6:36 PM
    Hi all!
    I need some help on something that has been pickling my brain for a while now.
    So, I have explained my situation if previous posts but will say it again..
    Basically I live with my partner and we both are on ESA- naturally itís a joint claim as we live together. So he claims for us both, heís in the support group and I am in the WRAG, we get £352 a fortnight.
    He was put in the support group last year (July time) but we have never had it confirmed if heís in the contribution based or the income based? (I am income based and always have been since Iíve been on ESA). When my OH claimed ESA he was contribution based on the assessment phase.
    I just presumed once he had had his work assessment thing and the letter said he had been put in support group that he too was now on income based. I have since read that this may not necessarily be the case.
    So heís been in the support group for 8 months- so he found it very strange why he received another medical assessment form thing for him to fill out in March - why has he received this? Itís not even been a year since he was put in the support group? And I thought when you were in that group they didnít call for you for a while?
    When we made the joint claim I was told that it would be me who gets called up for the medically assessments not him- and I had one last October (NI claim) but never did find out my outcome (i guess I passed seen as our money wasnít affected).

Can somebody give me a bit more advice on all this as we are both panicking our money is gonna lessen or stop, and my OH doesnít need the added stress of yet another medical assessment with all his other conditions.

Regards
    Mae
Page 1
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 16th Apr 18, 6:46 PM
    • 2,426 Posts
    • 2,386 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 16th Apr 18, 6:46 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 6:46 PM
    Hi all!
    I need some help on something that has been pickling my brain for a while now.
    So, I have explained my situation if previous posts but will say it again..
    Basically I live with my partner and we both are on ESA- naturally itís a joint claim as we live together. So he claims for us both, heís in the support group and I am in the WRAG, we get £352 a fortnight.
    He was put in the support group last year (July time) but we have never had it confirmed if heís in the contribution based or the income based? (I am income based and always have been since Iíve been on ESA). When my OH claimed ESA he was contribution based on the assessment phase.
    I just presumed once he had had his work assessment thing and the letter said he had been put in support group that he too was now on income based. I have since read that this may not necessarily be the case.
    So heís been in the support group for 8 months- so he found it very strange why he received another medical assessment form thing for him to fill out in March - why has he received this? Itís not even been a year since he was put in the support group? And I thought when you were in that group they didnít call for you for a while?
    When we made the joint claim I was told that it would be me who gets called up for the medically assessments not him- and I had one last October (NI claim) but never did find out my outcome (i guess I passed seen as our money wasnít affected).

Can somebody give me a bit more advice on all this as we are both panicking our money is gonna lessen or stop, and my OH doesnít need the added stress of yet another medical assessment with all his other conditions.

Regards
    Mae
    Originally posted by Mae85
    Once someone claims Contribution Based, it will always be contribution based if you're placed into the Support Group. Some may have an Income Related top up. Depending on household income.

They can re-assess you at anytime, even if you're in the Support Group. That form will need to be filled in and returned by the date stated on the letter, and no later. Sending in all evidence to support his claim.

I've never heard of a joint claim but both in different groups before, that's a new one on me. With your partner being Contribution based i would have thought he would have stayed that way with his own claim. You have your claim but Income Related and in the WRAG. Hopefully someone will come along and advice you further on that one.
    • Mae85
    • By Mae85 16th Apr 18, 6:51 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Mae85
    • 16th Apr 18, 6:51 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 6:51 PM
    It!!!8217;s all so confusing to me. ESA is our only income we get- we get housing benefit also but that!!!8217;s it.
    I don!!!8217;t know if to call them tomorrow and ask ?
    • Mae85
    • By Mae85 16th Apr 18, 7:01 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Mae85
    • 16th Apr 18, 7:01 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 7:01 PM
    P.S that does mean he!!!8217;s still entitled to free prescriptions because of me right?
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 16th Apr 18, 7:21 PM
    • 2,426 Posts
    • 2,386 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 16th Apr 18, 7:21 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 7:21 PM
    Looking back at your previous posts i see you're claiming ESA as a couple, with your partner in the Support Group? If claiming as a couple with no other income then it will be IR he claims for you both. If in doubt you do need to ring them and ask and they will confirm what you're unsure about.

As it's IR then you would both receive free prescriptions/dental/eye tests
    • Mae85
    • By Mae85 16th Apr 18, 7:24 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Mae85
    • 16th Apr 18, 7:24 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 7:24 PM
    Yes that!!!8217;s right he is in the support group.
    I was in WRAG but I!!!8217;m not sure if now I don!!!8217;t get any money at all just NI credits.
    Thanks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,501Posts Today

7,651Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: Our money-saving expert @MartinSLewis explains why he's had enough of the scams trying to trick victims using his name and?

• Today's twitter poll: have you ever seen a ghost?

• RT @JohnnyMercerUK: Another important day ahead in achieving parity of esteem between mental and physical health: the breathing space schem?

• Follow Martin