Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • HarryLong
    • By HarryLong 16th Apr 18, 6:18 PM
    • 24Posts
    • 1Thanks
    HarryLong
    0 WOW
    Tourist Tax Italy
    • 16th Apr 18, 6:18 PM
    0 WOW
    Tourist Tax Italy 16th Apr 18 at 6:18 PM
    i was surprised after booking a hotel in Italy that there is a tourist tax levied of 4 euros a person a night to be paid in cash on arrival. So for a weeks holiday it will cost us 56 euros. At least we knew in advance so we could ensure we take the cash with us. Is Italy the only country to levy a tourist tax
Page 1
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 16th Apr 18, 6:41 PM
    • 12,051 Posts
    • 8,194 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 16th Apr 18, 6:41 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 6:41 PM
    Many countries have such a tax: I understand that in Greece it is particularly high.
    • ibizafan
    • By ibizafan 16th Apr 18, 6:47 PM
    • 702 Posts
    • 824 Thanks
    ibizafan
    • 16th Apr 18, 6:47 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 6:47 PM
    The Balearic Islands started imposing a tourist tax last summer with the amount depending on the star rating of the accommodation. It has gone up this year and we will be paying 3 pp per day with a reduction after 9 or 10 days, forget which, so maybe less than in Italy. It has been pretty well publicised, although plenty of people seem to arrive knowing nothing about it.
    • dawyldthing
    • By dawyldthing 16th Apr 18, 6:58 PM
    • 2,842 Posts
    • 2,855 Thanks
    dawyldthing
    • 16th Apr 18, 6:58 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 6:58 PM
    When I went to Rome they tried charging me as I was leaving, I didn't know anything about it so thought she was joking and walked out (not been back either). But a lot of countries are milking tourists more and more. Greek tax starts this year as someone said before. I think there a bit of a con really
    My targets to end 2018:
    1) To get down to 11 stone then treat to a safari. At start 17 stone 7 lbs *61lbs lost* *30lbs to go*
    Started SW16st13lbs tues11/7/17 - 38 weeks in -53lbs
    -> target 11 st 13lbs by mid June -> 11 weeks & 17lbs to go
    2) to find new challenges
    • maman
    • By maman 16th Apr 18, 7:04 PM
    • 17,780 Posts
    • 106,509 Thanks
    maman
    • 16th Apr 18, 7:04 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 7:04 PM
    Taxe de Sejour is common in France and has been for years. It's meant to be in tourist areas and ring fenced to be spent on tourism.
    • Fortyfoot
    • By Fortyfoot 16th Apr 18, 7:34 PM
    • 1,784 Posts
    • 906 Thanks
    Fortyfoot
    • 16th Apr 18, 7:34 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 7:34 PM
    We have been charged in Italy and Menorca, a friend travelling on a tight budget to Majorca was unable to do a planned visit as the money was taken by the tax.

The tour operators should be made to include this in their price.

Fortyfoot
    • z1a
    • By z1a 16th Apr 18, 8:33 PM
    • 1,213 Posts
    • 1,168 Thanks
    z1a
    • 16th Apr 18, 8:33 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 8:33 PM
    We have been charged in Italy and Menorca, a friend travelling on a tight budget to Majorca was unable to do a planned visit as the money was taken by the tax.

The tour operators should be made to include this in their price.

Fortyfoot
    Originally posted by Fortyfoot
    Not everybody uses a third party, I frequently travel by car to these countries.
    • pattycake
    • By pattycake 16th Apr 18, 10:03 PM
    • 1,215 Posts
    • 1,026 Thanks
    pattycake
    • 16th Apr 18, 10:03 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 10:03 PM
    We went on a city break to Rome last October. We were with Jet2 and it was made clear when booking that we would have to pay the tax direct to the hotel. It was a central hotel and IIRC it was 5 euros per night per person. Our 10 year old granddaughter also was subject to the tax. We had a 5 night stay so not a meagre amount to pay.

But, we did know in advance.
    Last edited by pattycake; 16-04-2018 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Euro symbol changed to gibberish!
    • Doshwaster
    • By Doshwaster 16th Apr 18, 10:39 PM
    • 4,809 Posts
    • 3,934 Thanks
    Doshwaster
    • 16th Apr 18, 10:39 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 10:39 PM
    i was surprised after booking a hotel in Italy that there is a tourist tax levied of 4 euros a person a night to be paid in cash on arrival. So for a weeks holiday it will cost us 56 euros. At least we knew in advance so we could ensure we take the cash with us. Is Italy the only country to levy a tourist tax
    Originally posted by HarryLong
    Many cities and countries have a tourist tax (sometimes called a hotel bed tax) but it's usually hidden in the cost of your hotel reservation or holiday booking. I think the last time I had to pay one in cash was in Krakow, Poland a few years ago but I hear that it has been abolished.

There are several cities in the UK which have looked into introducing one here to fund the provision of tourist information centres and other facilities for visitors but so far councils don't have the legal power to do it.

Personally a don't mind a couple of Euros a night but above that it starts to get annoying.
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 16th Apr 18, 10:43 PM
    • 1,778 Posts
    • 2,348 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    On a skiing holiday earlier in the year we had a night in a hotel in Genova (long story..) and IIRC it was only a couple of euros, so only a worry if you were on an incredibly tight budget.
    Last edited by silverwhistle; 16-04-2018 at 10:45 PM. Reason: euro symbol not available even on desktops!
    • mgdavid
    • By mgdavid 17th Apr 18, 1:29 AM
    • 5,516 Posts
    • 4,819 Thanks
    mgdavid

try Ctrl-Alt-4
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 17th Apr 18, 7:57 AM
    • 19,656 Posts
    • 52,490 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Many countries have such a tax: I understand that in Greece it is particularly high.
    Originally posted by Voyager2002
    High?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5741531&highlight=tax

From this ^^^^ thread I started last November:
    Please note:
    From the 1st January 2018 a new Overnight Stay Tax will be introduced by the Government of Greece. This will be payable locally by the individual tourist on checking in to accommodation in Greece and varies according to the official rating of the accommodation as follows:

Apartments (all categories): 0.50 Euros per room per night
    Hotels:
    1-2 star: 0.50 Cents per room per night
    3 star: 1.50 Euros per room per night
    4 star: 3.00 Euros per room per night
    5 star: 4.00 Euros per room per night

Payment can be made by cash or card.
    So the maximum to be paid per room per night is half the amount the OP paid - the OP paid 4 euro per person..
    He/she doesn't say what rating the accommodation had.

For us, it will add 7 euros in total to our 2 week booking.

For those people saying it should be included in the booking by the tour operator - in Greece the payment goes directly to the accommodation owner so it makes sense to pay it directly to them rather than a 3rd party.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 17th Apr 18, 8:46 AM
    • 5,137 Posts
    • 7,037 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    It doesn't matter where you go, unless you get a complete breakdown of the bill you don't know what taxes you're being billed for.

Ditto with Tourist Visas, you'll never know where the fee goes to.

Dual pricing, locals might pay one amount and tourists pay another at attractions.

Either pay it and suck it, or go somewhere else.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 17th Apr 18, 8:58 AM
    • 33,355 Posts
    • 28,232 Thanks
    custardy
    Keeps getting mooted in Edinburgh,nothing official yet but I expect one to come in.
    • Shelldean
    • By Shelldean 17th Apr 18, 11:31 AM
    • 1,983 Posts
    • 1,289 Thanks
    Shelldean
    Yes we paid in Menorca in 2016 and Amsterdam in 2017
    • maman
    • By maman 17th Apr 18, 11:40 AM
    • 17,780 Posts
    • 106,509 Thanks
    maman
    There are several cities in the UK which have looked into introducing one here to fund the provision of tourist information centres and other facilities for visitors but so far councils don't have the legal power to do it.

Personally a don't mind a couple of Euros a night but above that it starts to get annoying.
    Originally posted by Doshwaster

I'd willingly pay. Many Tourist Information centres have closed down (including my local one) as Local Government grants have been slashed by central government. I have sympathy as when you have a limited budget and a statutory duty to provide e.g. social care compared with Tourist Information then it's a no brainer.
    • Doshwaster
    • By Doshwaster 17th Apr 18, 12:48 PM
    • 4,809 Posts
    • 3,934 Thanks
    Doshwaster
    I'd willingly pay. Many Tourist Information centres have closed down (including my local one) as Local Government grants have been slashed by central government. I have sympathy as when you have a limited budget and a statutory duty to provide e.g. social care compared with Tourist Information then it's a no brainer.
    Originally posted by maman
    I agree - I can't see a couple of pounds a night putting anyone off but it could raise a lot of income for cash-stretched councils.
    • slinga
    • By slinga 17th Apr 18, 12:53 PM
    • 1,127 Posts
    • 235 Thanks
    slinga
    Malaysia has a 'tourist tax'.
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 17th Apr 18, 1:22 PM
    • 1,008 Posts
    • 1,096 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    I had to pay 3.5 euros per person, per night in Venice so 21 euros for my stay, so not an extortionate amount but my hotel confirmation made it quite clear this was the case.

I also had to pay in Morocco a few years ago but not in Lazarote last December.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,649Posts Today

8,038Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MartinSLewis: Pls help stop people who are suicidal being harassed by creditors. People in hospital due to anxiety, depression & more?

• RT @peterkmartin: Thanks @MartinSLewis after hearing you advise many times to switch energy providers, I finally got my finger out and have?

• I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke? https://t.co/9FxNEpDs6p

• Follow Martin