Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Shelldean
    • By Shelldean 16th Apr 18, 6:09 PM
    • 2,023Posts
    • 1,301Thanks
    Shelldean
    No notice of works - renting
    • 16th Apr 18, 6:09 PM
    No notice of works - renting 16th Apr 18 at 6:09 PM
    Relative lives in a rented flat.
    The two flats and an attached house are leasehold with one freeholder.
    The flat relative lives in has an owner who rents it to my relative.
    I believe this owner only owns her flat, no idea who owns the other two properties, May be the free holder.

Anyway my relative has come home tonight to scaffolding planks across the garden instead of the paved area that's usually there.
    So loss of parking in a double yellow area.
    Electricity meters are being replaced. Hence the digging up.

No notice was given to my relative at all.
    I've told them there first port of call is their landlord. As the landlord should've informed them of the upcoming work.

But preliminary enquiries seem to say, the landlord also wasn't informed by the freeholder.

Relative is annoyed that no notice was given but am I right in saying all they can do is complain to landlord?

Thanks
Page 1
    • mrginge
    • By mrginge 16th Apr 18, 6:22 PM
    • 4,562 Posts
    • 8,541 Thanks
    mrginge
    • 16th Apr 18, 6:22 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 6:22 PM
    This really is not worth getting in a flap about.
    • Shelldean
    • By Shelldean 16th Apr 18, 6:25 PM
    • 2,023 Posts
    • 1,301 Thanks
    Shelldean
    • 16th Apr 18, 6:25 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 6:25 PM
    So they've lost their parking space w/o notice and all roads nearby are double yellows, and they shouldn't be annoyed????
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 16th Apr 18, 6:26 PM
    • 3,462 Posts
    • 3,702 Thanks
    cjdavies
    • 16th Apr 18, 6:26 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 6:26 PM
    Is the reason for the works just the electric meter? If so then I say it's the energy supplier.
    • Shelldean
    • By Shelldean 16th Apr 18, 6:27 PM
    • 2,023 Posts
    • 1,301 Thanks
    Shelldean
    • 16th Apr 18, 6:27 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 6:27 PM
    They're also concerned for the elderly neighbour, as the planks don't seem very safe.
    • Shelldean
    • By Shelldean 16th Apr 18, 6:29 PM
    • 2,023 Posts
    • 1,301 Thanks
    Shelldean
    • 16th Apr 18, 6:29 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 6:29 PM
    Is the reason for the works just the electric meter? If so then I say it's the energy supplier.
    Originally posted by cjdavies
    Yes just meters being changed.
    But surely someone should've warned the tenants?
    • Shelldean
    • By Shelldean 16th Apr 18, 6:33 PM
    • 2,023 Posts
    • 1,301 Thanks
    Shelldean
    • 16th Apr 18, 6:33 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 6:33 PM
    Can someone confirm my thoughts that the tenants can only complain to the landlord? It's not the tenants fault the landlord wasn't told. The landlord then complains to the free holder. Who in turn complains to the energy supplier?
    • G_M
    • By G_M 16th Apr 18, 6:38 PM
    • 45,013 Posts
    • 53,646 Thanks
    G_M
    • 16th Apr 18, 6:38 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 6:38 PM
    Can someone confirm my thoughts that the tenants can only complain to the landlord? It's not the tenants fault the landlord wasn't told. The landlord then complains to the free holder. Who in turn complains to the energy supplier?
    Originally posted by Shelldean
    Prettty much, yes. That's the legal chain.

Though you could bypass peope for convenience.

How long will the work take? the energy company should know. If it's a few days, frankly the effort time and stress of pursuing this is not worth it.

Having said that, if the parking space is included in th tenancy agreement, I'd be interested in hearing the court judgement if tenant sued the landlord for parking ticket costs.....
    • Shelldean
    • By Shelldean 16th Apr 18, 6:43 PM
    • 2,023 Posts
    • 1,301 Thanks
    Shelldean
    • 16th Apr 18, 6:43 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 6:43 PM
    Prettty much, yes. That's the legal chain.

Though you could bypass peope for convenience.

How long will the work take? the energy company should know. If it's a few days, frankly the effort time and stress of pursuing this is not worth it.

Having said that, if the parking space is included in th tenancy agreement, I'd be interested in hearing the court judgement if tenant sued the landlord for parking ticket costs.....
    Originally posted by G_M
    No idea how long the work will take, they literally came home to a mess. In fact my relative isn't actually home yet. But their partner is.

No idea how they can find out how long it will be as they both leave for work at 6.30 and first isn't home till 5.30 and other usually about 7.
    So can't ask the workmen.

The workmen have also taken the proverbial, but using the recycling box as a plant pot!!!!
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 16th Apr 18, 6:48 PM
    • 2,959 Posts
    • 1,958 Thanks
    Robin9
    These may be emergency works by the Electric Company and no time to contact all concerned.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • Shelldean
    • By Shelldean 16th Apr 18, 6:53 PM
    • 2,023 Posts
    • 1,301 Thanks
    Shelldean
    These may be emergency works by the Electric Company and no time to contact all concerned.
    Originally posted by Robin9
    Don't think so as they was warned when they moved in the meter would have to be changed. They moved in last August.
    But they expected some notice even just a little bit of notice, before work commenced
    • Shelldean
    • By Shelldean 16th Apr 18, 7:07 PM
    • 2,023 Posts
    • 1,301 Thanks
    Shelldean
    Just spoke with relative and while they understand in the grand scheme of things it's nothing but as they say it's just bl##dy annoying.
    The whole thing has made life awkward for them both and annoyed them there was no notice given.

And they're extra pi##ed off their recycling has been used for plants when tomorrow is recycling day.
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 16th Apr 18, 7:25 PM
    • 5,546 Posts
    • 7,784 Thanks
    deannatrois
    Sorry but I think there are far worse things to get peed off about. Its not even your problem so its not even like you need a rant lol.

If they need to recycle, they need to put the plants in a bag and use the bin for one day. If they need to walk to where the car is temporarily parked.., exercise is good for you.

I doubt its even anything to do with the freeholder.., its purely to do with the meter provider. But the mess is made. What good would it do and where would the planks go if you did and they agreed to change things? Its one of those times when u just sigh, use the word inept and carry on living.
    • Shelldean
    • By Shelldean 16th Apr 18, 8:14 PM
    • 2,023 Posts
    • 1,301 Thanks
    Shelldean
    Sorry but I think there are far worse things to get peed off about. Its not even your problem so its not even like you need a rant lol.

If they need to recycle, they need to put the plants in a bag and use the bin for one day. If they need to walk to where the car is temporarily parked.., exercise is good for you.

I doubt its even anything to do with the freeholder.., its purely to do with the meter provider. But the mess is made. What good would it do and where would the planks go if you did and they agreed to change things? Its one of those times when u just sigh, use the word inept and carry on living.
    Originally posted by deannatrois

Yes i did say that in grand scheme of things it's not a lot.
    But to come home and discover all this wasn't the best end to their day.
    Their landlord is currently away so their speaking with her representative (her father)
    And it uses acres will be needed on Wed, not sure when anyone was going to tell the tenants this, especially as neither can take time off.
    Elderly neighbour downstairs has agreed to help. But twelve agreed that I will travel over tomorrow night and be present Wed to allow the workmen access.

And apparently it is the freeholder who is doing these works not the energy supplier.

Thanks everyone they're just annoyed and angry at the lack of communication. And panicked a little when faced with the trench this evening
    • martindow
    • By martindow 17th Apr 18, 8:48 AM
    • 7,689 Posts
    • 4,395 Thanks
    martindow

And apparently it is the freeholder who is doing these works not the energy supplier.
    I hope not if you're correct about the work involving changing meters.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 17th Apr 18, 8:56 AM
    • 16,910 Posts
    • 42,683 Thanks
    elsien
    I can appreciate they would have liked to have been given notice. But on a practical level, how much difference would it actually have made. They'd still have had to find somewhere else to park either way - can't see there's any way round that, notice or not.
    And the plant thing is a bit silly to get het up about. Just move them.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • Shelldean
    • By Shelldean 17th Apr 18, 10:17 AM
    • 2,023 Posts
    • 1,301 Thanks
    Shelldean
    I hope not if you're correct about the work involving changing meters.
    Originally posted by martindow
    Sorry it's the freeholder who has arranged the work.
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 17th Apr 18, 10:23 AM
    • 2,077 Posts
    • 3,125 Thanks
    shortcrust
    What does your relative want to happen? Let me gue...
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 17th Apr 18, 11:36 AM
    • 8,604 Posts
    • 28,595 Thanks
    fairy lights
    And it uses acres will be needed on Wed, not sure when anyone was going to tell the tenants this, especially as neither can take time off.
    Elderly neighbour downstairs has agreed to help. But twelve agreed that I will travel over tomorrow night and be present Wed to allow the workmen access.
    If a neighbour has agreed to give the workmen access then why are you travelling there to do it yourself?
    Sounds like you're all making a mountain out of a molehill, it's a few days without their parking space.
    • Shelldean
    • By Shelldean 17th Apr 18, 3:37 PM
    • 2,023 Posts
    • 1,301 Thanks
    Shelldean
    What does your relative want to happen? Let me gue...
    Originally posted by shortcrust
    I feel your comment is uncalled for at no point have we mentioned . Because actually all they would have liked is to be kept properly informed that all. And wondered who if anyone they could complain too. I believed it was the landlord as that's who their contract is with. But having absolutely no knowledge of private renting I wasn't sure if I was correct. G_M has kindly provided that info.
    They're not entitled to as they've suffered no loss, even I know that!!!!

If a neighbour has agreed to give the workmen access then why are you travelling there to do it yourself?
    Sounds like you're all making a mountain out of a molehill, it's a few days without their parking space.
    Originally posted by fairy lights
    I'm travelling over as they dislike the idea of a neighbour they only know in passing having the keys to their place all day.
    They leave early and return late, so I will flat sit for the day to allow access to the meter people as and when they need it. It's not far and no problem as I don't work. Going tonight, to save an extra early start for me tomorrow.

Ok general consensus is for them to 'suck it up buttercup' which is fair enough. They're young first time renters and came home yesterday to a huge shock. And reacted with shock and horror. They asked me for advice, which I couldn't give as no knowledge of private renting. So I asked on here, who if anyone could they complain to about the lack of notice

Thanks everyone.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

257Posts Today

3,734Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin