Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tazwhoever
    • By tazwhoever 16th Apr 18, 6:08 PM
    • 949Posts
    • 219Thanks
    tazwhoever
    Oyster card on Android
    • 16th Apr 18, 6:08 PM
    Oyster card on Android 16th Apr 18 at 6:08 PM
    Please can anyone let me know how I can put Oyster card on my phone (android)?

Oyster card and freedom pass

Thanks
Page 1
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 16th Apr 18, 6:23 PM
    • 8,601 Posts
    • 6,498 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    • 16th Apr 18, 6:23 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 6:23 PM
    This any help https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/ways-to-pay/tfl-oyster-app
    • lammy82
    • By lammy82 16th Apr 18, 7:09 PM
    • 371 Posts
    • 353 Thanks
    lammy82
    • 16th Apr 18, 7:09 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 7:09 PM
    If you mean so that you can use it to tap in/tap out, you can't. That would only work by using Google Pay and would charge you for each journey.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 16th Apr 18, 9:05 PM
    • 4,575 Posts
    • 4,600 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 16th Apr 18, 9:05 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 9:05 PM
    If you mean so that you can use it to tap in/tap out, you can't. That would only work by using Google Pay and would charge you for each journey.
    Originally posted by lammy82
    No idea if it's different, but ... last time I was in London I used my Barclaycard (contactless) on the Tube. Yes, it charged per trip - but only up to the day rate; after that any journeys were free. Wouldn't GPay work the same?
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 16th Apr 18, 9:31 PM
    • 8,707 Posts
    • 8,621 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 16th Apr 18, 9:31 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 9:31 PM
    But the OP also has a Freedom Pass.

Probably best if this thread were moved to the Public Transport board.
    • lammy82
    • By lammy82 17th Apr 18, 9:38 AM
    • 371 Posts
    • 353 Thanks
    lammy82
    • 17th Apr 18, 9:38 AM
    • 17th Apr 18, 9:38 AM
    No idea if it's different, but ... last time I was in London I used my Barclaycard (contactless) on the Tube. Yes, it charged per trip - but only up to the day rate; after that any journeys were free. Wouldn't GPay work the same?
    Originally posted by DoaM
    Yes, sorry, it would work the same as that, charging you per trip until you reach the daily/weekly cap. I didn't meant that the cap doesn't apply. I meant that the OP would not be able to use their Freedom Pass.
    • Spelunthus
    • By Spelunthus 17th Apr 18, 10:23 AM
    • 90 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    Spelunthus
    • 17th Apr 18, 10:23 AM
    • 17th Apr 18, 10:23 AM
    You can't replace a Freedom Pass with a phone app.

If you use Google Pay, then the phone looks like a contactless card at the TFL gate and you will pay for each journey, just as you would with a contactless bank card. But, there is NO WAY (today) to make the phone or any app look like a Freedom Pass. So no discounted, or no-cost travel.

It's an obvious requirement, but might be hard to make TFL, Google and others see the need or benefit to them in implementing this.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

675Posts Today

6,762Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin