Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rafhelp
    • By rafhelp 16th Apr 18, 4:59 PM
    • 251Posts
    • 28Thanks
    rafhelp
    Shared Home fence costs
    • 16th Apr 18, 4:59 PM
    Shared Home fence costs 16th Apr 18 at 4:59 PM
    OK theres a house, it is shared ownerhip with owner and housing agency.

for example 50/50 to 75/25

Theres a communal area with an alley running down side of one house, there is a front driveway of the house.

There is nothing seperating the communal alleyway from the owners driveway except some different coloured bricks in a line but at ground level.

Now if the owners wanted to put up a fence between the driveway and the alley should the housing agency who owns the communal alleyway and X% of the house aswell be required to contribute partially or fully towards the cost of the fence/labour?

The reason is that the seperation/fence should really have been there to begin with, secondly it would form part of the communal area aswell.

We could ask the housing agency but im sure they would just fob us off and say no, so looking for some new angle
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
Page 1
    • dimbo61
    • By dimbo61 16th Apr 18, 6:47 PM
    • 9,848 Posts
    • 5,295 Thanks
    dimbo61
    • 16th Apr 18, 6:47 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 6:47 PM
    You can only ask
    Should they be required to provide a fence for your privacy ?
    Maybe if you offered to pay because you want to keep others off your land the HA may agree.
    I am sure lots of housing associations have a million and one things to spend money on.
    A nice new fence for your benefit might not be top of the list
    • HampshireH
    • By HampshireH 16th Apr 18, 8:46 PM
    • 575 Posts
    • 583 Thanks
    HampshireH
    • 16th Apr 18, 8:46 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 8:46 PM
    I imagine if they had wanted to pay to out up a fence they would have done so by now.

This person is better off just asking for permission to put one up themselves and footing the bill
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 17th Apr 18, 1:50 AM
    • 31,907 Posts
    • 19,125 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 17th Apr 18, 1:50 AM
    • 17th Apr 18, 1:50 AM
    do all the other joins(ie. between houses) have fences?

If not chances are the are no fences at the front covenants or similar.
    • rafhelp
    • By rafhelp 17th Apr 18, 2:28 AM
    • 251 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    rafhelp
    • 17th Apr 18, 2:28 AM
    • 17th Apr 18, 2:28 AM
    do all the other joins(ie. between houses) have fences?

If not chances are the are no fences at the front covenants or similar.
    Originally posted by getmore4less
    the alley way has a driveways on both side, but only one side has a brick and metal fence, that was put up by housing agency.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
    • da_rule
    • By da_rule 17th Apr 18, 8:28 AM
    • 2,572 Posts
    • 2,272 Thanks
    da_rule
    • 17th Apr 18, 8:28 AM
    • 17th Apr 18, 8:28 AM
    It may be that they weren't allowed to fence it due to restrictions on visibility (visibility splay) for people and vehicles using the drive.

Either way, your agreement will probably specify that you have to obtain their consent to carry out such works, and unless your lease/agreement compels them to foot some of the costs there doesn't appear to be a way you can force them to.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,303Posts Today

8,035Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Facebook today admitted in parliament that after it heard of my defamation lawsuit against it for 50 fake scam ads? https://t.co/XttOnyH9sq

• RT @jamiesusskind: After more than 10 years, and with such sadness, I am leaving Labour. I'm doing it for the same reason that I joined: be?

• RT @Deeangelique_: I suggested @MartinSLewis get 'I Don't Do Ads' tattooed to his forehead yesterday. Today he posted this. I gave Martin L?

• Follow Martin