Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • socks_uk
    • By socks_uk 16th Apr 18, 4:46 PM
    • 2,706Posts
    • 2,096Thanks
    socks_uk
    Duplicate listing for single item
    • 16th Apr 18, 4:46 PM
    Duplicate listing for single item 16th Apr 18 at 4:46 PM
    I've been looking to buy an item and have been following ebay auctions to get an idea of what they are selling for (a sewing machine).

I spotted a new listing this morning with an auction starting price of 250 or a Buy it Now price of 600 and it finishes on Wednesday. They list it as they 'bought it to complete a customer's t-shirt logo order who changed their mind' so it is a 'one off' as regards to quantity available.

As one sold the other day for just over 400 I thought I'd put a bid in for the opening price so put 250 and I am currently the winning bidder but I have just noticed the seller has just (an hour ago) added another listing for the same sewing machine, with the same photos but not an auction, just a buy it now option (600) and a 'make offer' option with the listing ending in 29 days.

I can only assume they are going to withdraw the listing I am already bidding on but surely they should have thought that someone might place a starting bid if they open the auction at 250? All the listings of this model of sewing machine go for around 450 - 550 and new ones are around 800.

Am I wrong for being annoyed at a duplicate listing and thinking they are going to cancel the one I have a bid on?
    Did you wonder where the photo was taken?
    Somewhere above the clouds over Germany on the way back from Prague August 2009!
    Hand typed by me!
    -x-
Page 1
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 16th Apr 18, 5:14 PM
    • 3,451 Posts
    • 1,961 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    • 16th Apr 18, 5:14 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 5:14 PM
    Just send them a message and ask if they will combine shipping on the two sewing machines... you'll soon find out where the land lies!
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • socks_uk
    • By socks_uk 16th Apr 18, 5:30 PM
    • 2,706 Posts
    • 2,096 Thanks
    socks_uk
    • 16th Apr 18, 5:30 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 5:30 PM
    That's a good idea! Ha ha! I'd like to see them squirm out of that!
    Did you wonder where the photo was taken?
    Somewhere above the clouds over Germany on the way back from Prague August 2009!
    Hand typed by me!
    -x-
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 16th Apr 18, 6:37 PM
    • 27,564 Posts
    • 11,160 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 16th Apr 18, 6:37 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 6:37 PM
    Or they have 20 machines or a cheap source and drop shipping them?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Pembroke
    • By Pembroke 19th Apr 18, 7:44 PM
    • 814 Posts
    • 561 Thanks
    Pembroke
    • 19th Apr 18, 7:44 PM
    • 19th Apr 18, 7:44 PM
    You could always cancel the auction bid and "best offer" them at say 100 and see what happens.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 19th Apr 18, 7:58 PM
    • 60,833 Posts
    • 43,405 Thanks
    soolin
    • 19th Apr 18, 7:58 PM
    • 19th Apr 18, 7:58 PM
    I'd leave the bid active, seller is being foolish if we assume this is the same machine as this is going to cost them a lot of money in FVFs. If they try and cancel the listing they pay FVFs on your bid regardless, plus both listings have upgrades which are payable regardless of whether items sell or not .

I suspect the seller hasn't got a clue about how eBay charge fees anymore.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,396Posts Today

7,861Users online

Martin's Twitter