Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JSCB
    • By JSCB 16th Apr 18, 4:46 PM
    • 44Posts
    • 12Thanks
    JSCB
    Physical Job - Should I be working out to strengthen my back?
    • 16th Apr 18, 4:46 PM
    Physical Job - Should I be working out to strengthen my back? 16th Apr 18 at 4:46 PM
    Hi everyone,

This isn't so much about money saving but rather my longer term health. I work in the building trade, carry vast quantities of heavy plasterboards into 2 and 3 story houses almost daily, I'm 21 and been doing it a few years, but this week after working in 3 story houses for a few weeks my back is really aching in a way I've not felt it before. It's a different kind of ache to muscle ache.

While I have a physical job, I don't do anything else for fitness outside of it but I'm beginning to wonder whether I should be exercising in a non-strenuous way voluntarily, in order to strengthen the muscles in my core and back, so that they can cope with my work better.

I always thought my body would get used to it and I'm best not exercising out of work in order to reduce the total amount of stress it takes, but now I'm wandering whether I should be working out to be fitter and so it can cope better and not be so beaten up at work.

Does anyone have any experience of this sort of thing? I'm only 21 but want to make sure I'm doing everything I can now to ensure I don't sustain injuries or damage my body and back for the longer term.

Thanks a lot,
Page 1
    • deadendwaterfall
    • By deadendwaterfall 16th Apr 18, 7:19 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    deadendwaterfall
    • 16th Apr 18, 7:19 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 7:19 PM
    It sounds like you're doing everything right, I'm in a similar position with my factory job having to lift lots of heavy packaging in a short space of time, and I go to the gym at least twice a week.
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 16th Apr 18, 8:16 PM
    • 5,153 Posts
    • 6,401 Thanks
    theoretica
    • 16th Apr 18, 8:16 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 8:16 PM
    Rather than just an issue of muscle building and strength, it might be worth a few sessions on technique and muscle use to make sure you are using your muscles in the most efficient way and lifting things in the way that is as kind to your body as possible.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 16th Apr 18, 8:31 PM
    • 11,021 Posts
    • 29,376 Thanks
    suki1964
    • 16th Apr 18, 8:31 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 8:31 PM
    Pilates will strengthen your core muscles , as will yoga

I'm too lazy and self conscience to go to a class and way to much of a klutz to teach myself, so what I use is my Wii and do the balance exercises

I also have a very physical job and at my age I've got to keep my back as good as I can
    if you lend someone 20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • tyllwyd
    • By tyllwyd 19th May 18, 3:28 PM
    • 5,380 Posts
    • 4,366 Thanks
    tyllwyd
    • 19th May 18, 3:28 PM
    • 19th May 18, 3:28 PM
    I wonder if it would help to go to a physiotherapist / sports massage type of person, who might be able to give you some advice on the type of movement / stretching you should do to protect your back.
    • Tallaght
    • By Tallaght 20th May 18, 6:42 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 209 Thanks
    Tallaght
    • 20th May 18, 6:42 PM
    • 20th May 18, 6:42 PM
    I would stretch muscles before you start work just as you would for a gym workout.Also a gym belt may help.
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 20th May 18, 6:51 PM
    • 1,813 Posts
    • 2,383 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    • 20th May 18, 6:51 PM
    • 20th May 18, 6:51 PM
    You may find this article from a few days back interesting:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/may/14/exercise-is-good-for-you-unless-its-part-of-your-job

I only did physical jobs as a student when I was your age (around 40 years ago!) but I still play sport. Never had major injuries as I've done a few different ones, and I think the variety of exercise and movement helps. Sometimes it's the repetitive nature of the work that makes it worse: I still remember being roped in from my work in the site office and canteen to help unload an 11000 brick artic by hand: no hiabs in those days!
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 20th May 18, 7:04 PM
    • 2,033 Posts
    • 2,775 Thanks
    comeandgo
    • 20th May 18, 7:04 PM
    • 20th May 18, 7:04 PM
    Have you been on any training courses with your work, I.e. manual handling? They will show you the right and wrong way of lifting and carrying things.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

687Posts Today

6,667Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin