Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cubeguy3
    • By Cubeguy3 16th Apr 18, 3:59 PM
    • 60Posts
    • 8Thanks
    Cubeguy3
    Misspelt Registration Number - Zero used not O - Smart PCN
    • 16th Apr 18, 3:59 PM
    Misspelt Registration Number - Zero used not O - Smart PCN 16th Apr 18 at 3:59 PM
    I've had a read of the Newbies board but haven't found a close enough match to answer my question. Scanning some other posts there are a lot that cover 'my other car's registration was used, etc'.

My wife has received a PCN from Smart Parking Limited, however the required payment was made to cover the time the car was parked on the land.

The issue here is the ticket was entered with a Zero instead of an O in the last three letters of the registration number; we have the ticket to prove this.

I am looking for some advice for the best approach to try and resolve this please.

Many thanks
Page 1
    • nosferatu1001
    • By nosferatu1001 16th Apr 18, 4:03 PM
    • 2,303 Posts
    • 2,750 Thanks
    nosferatu1001
    • 16th Apr 18, 4:03 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 4:03 PM
    Then you didnt read the newbies thread, which tells you NOT to look for the exact same circumstance. Its in bold. Really hard to miss.

This is smart. They fold.

FYI the VRM was not mistyped. O and 0 are the exact same on a VRM. The exact same. That their system inteprets a difference is nothing to do with you, its a flaw in their system.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 16th Apr 18, 4:05 PM
    • 35,168 Posts
    • 19,278 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 16th Apr 18, 4:05 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 4:05 PM
    The newbies FAQ explains no need to find an exact match of circs

Follow the appeal advice in the FAQ.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 16th Apr 18, 4:07 PM
    • 6,694 Posts
    • 5,922 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 16th Apr 18, 4:07 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 4:07 PM
    I am sure you meant to write:
    The issue here is that for some strange reason the machine has printed the ticket with a Zero instead of an O in the last three letters of the registration number. We have the ticket to prove this.
    Interestingly, the typeface used for UK number plates makes no distinction between a 'O' and a '0', nor between an 'I' and a '1', so why does their stupid machine?

Who is the parking company?
    Last edited by KeithP; 16-04-2018 at 4:13 PM.
    • Cubeguy3
    • By Cubeguy3 16th Apr 18, 4:15 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Cubeguy3
    • 16th Apr 18, 4:15 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 4:15 PM
    Who is the parking company?
    Originally posted by KeithP
    Smart Parking Limited
    • Half_way
    • By Half_way 16th Apr 18, 4:16 PM
    • 4,089 Posts
    • 5,794 Thanks
    Half_way
    • 16th Apr 18, 4:16 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 4:16 PM
    The OP said the PPC was (not that ) Smart.
    however a more important question would be, Who's car park was it?
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
    • Cubeguy3
    • By Cubeguy3 16th Apr 18, 4:18 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Cubeguy3
    • 16th Apr 18, 4:18 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 4:18 PM
    Who's car park was it?
    Originally posted by Half_way
    There are only two retailers left there now, one is a bowling alley and the other is a Range outlet store - Matalan has moved on
    • IamEmanresu
    • By IamEmanresu 16th Apr 18, 4:28 PM
    • 2,265 Posts
    • 4,022 Thanks
    IamEmanresu
    • 16th Apr 18, 4:28 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 4:28 PM
    The IAS in their 2017 Annual Report said

Of course, it is incumbent upon the motorist to take reasonable care in entering their details, and when they fail to do so properly very often a charge may be justified. However, where the mistake is so trivial that even someone applying their full attention might not realise - such as entering a 0 instead of a O or a 1 instead of an I - then it is, in my view, unfair to enforce a charge. As a consequence, I released guidance to all the adjudicators that they should have regard to the nature and extent of such mistakes in determining whether a charge is lawful.

I am pleased to say that, since issuing the guidance, there has been a visible reduction in the amount of cases where operators pursue such parking charges and far fewer (justifiably) frustrated motorists as a result.

So a senior person in the industry says it is not justifiable - and would fail the Beavis test.So challenge Smart and POPLA to say different
    Idiots please note: If you intend NOT to read the information on the Notice of Allocation and hand a simple win to the knuckle dragging ex-clampers, then don't waste people's time with questions on a claim you'll not defend.
    • Cubeguy3
    • By Cubeguy3 16th Apr 18, 4:33 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Cubeguy3
    • 16th Apr 18, 4:33 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 4:33 PM
    The IAS in their 2017 Annual Report said

Of course, it is incumbent upon the motorist to take reasonable care in entering their details, and when they fail to do so properly very often a charge may be justified. However, where the mistake is so trivial that even someone applying their full attention might not realise - such as entering a !!!8216;0!!!8217; instead of a !!!8216;O!!!8217; or a !!!8216;1!!!8217; instead of an !!!8216;I!!!8217; - then it is, in my view, unfair to enforce a charge. As a consequence, I released guidance to all the adjudicators that they should have regard to the nature and extent of such mistakes in determining whether a charge is lawful.

I am pleased to say that, since issuing the guidance, there has been a visible reduction in the amount of cases where operators pursue such parking charges and far fewer (justifiably) frustrated motorists as a result.

So a senior person in the industry says it is not justifiable - and would fail the Beavis test.So challenge Smart and POPLA to say different
    Originally posted by IamEmanresu
    This is great, thank you.

Reading the FAQs I believe the recommended approach is to appeal with using the template beginning "I appeal and dispute your purported 'parking charge', as the keeper of the vehicle. I deny liability and consider the PCN an absolute disgrace and pure intimidation."

I was worried about doing this as my issue contains the trivial mistake as you have mentioned above and maybe a 'softer' response/appeal is worth it.
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 16th Apr 18, 4:41 PM
    • 36,571 Posts
    • 82,831 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    On your head be it if you change the tried and tested method of using an appeal template that we know works, and doesn't inadvertently give away the driver's identity.

You really, really, REALLY need to know what you are about if you are not going to use the information here that has been fine tuned by many people who have put in literally hundreds of hours to make it work.
    Last edited by Fruitcake; 16-04-2018 at 8:24 PM.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • Cubeguy3
    • By Cubeguy3 16th Apr 18, 4:42 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Cubeguy3
    Can't argue with that reasoning - thanks!
    • Half_way
    • By Half_way 16th Apr 18, 5:15 PM
    • 4,089 Posts
    • 5,794 Thanks
    Half_way
    There are only two retailers left there now, one is a bowling alley and the other is a Range outlet store - Matalan has moved on
    Originally posted by asbowen
    Ok, so tis a retial park, but whos retail park is it?
    British Land? Savils? someone else?
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 16th Apr 18, 5:39 PM
    • 9,080 Posts
    • 8,783 Thanks
    The Deep
    UKPC are fraudsters, read this

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11858473/Parking-firm-UKPC-admits-faking-tickets-to-fine-drivers.html

http://parking-prankster.blogspot.co.uk/2016/11/residential-parking.html

https://www.parkingcowboys.co.uk/residential-parking/

https://bmpa.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/213801109-Parking-Control-Management-Roboclaim-Residential-site

https://bmpa.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/sections/115000492465-Residential-parking-problems

This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of contracts for alleged parking offences, aided and abetted by a handful of low-rent solicitors.

Parking Eye, CPM, Smart, and another company have already been named and shamed, as has Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (these two law firms take hundreds of these cases to court each year). They lose most of them, and have been reported to the regulatory authority by an M.P. for unprofessional conduct

Hospital car parks and residential complex tickets have been especially mentioned.

The problem has become so rampant that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers. Watch the video of the Second Reading in the HofC recently.

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41

and complain in the most robust terms to your MP. With a fair wind they will be out of business by Christmas.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • Cubeguy3
    • By Cubeguy3 16th Apr 18, 5:42 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Cubeguy3
    Ok, so tis a retial park, but whos retail park is it?
    British Land? Savils? someone else?
    Originally posted by Half_way
    I understand the owner is Aviva Investors
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 16th Apr 18, 5:46 PM
    • 17,336 Posts
    • 27,314 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    UKPC are fraudsters
    Originally posted by The Deep
    They might well be, TD, but this thread is about Smart Parking.

Nurse .......!

We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • IamEmanresu
    • By IamEmanresu 16th Apr 18, 6:00 PM
    • 2,265 Posts
    • 4,022 Thanks
    IamEmanresu
    You really, really, REALLY need to know what you are about if you are not going to use the information here that has been fine tuned by many people who have put in literally hundreds of hours to make it work.
    Can't argue with that reasoning - thanks!
    +1 . But if the template doesn't work then you have a fall back of "de minimis"
    Idiots please note: If you intend NOT to read the information on the Notice of Allocation and hand a simple win to the knuckle dragging ex-clampers, then don't waste people's time with questions on a claim you'll not defend.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 17th Apr 18, 12:30 AM
    • 56,325 Posts
    • 69,938 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Yes but it's Smart, and we all know that if a keeper appeals, Smart lose. Job done! So IMHO use the template and they will fold by May, I expect.

Part of the good thing about the appeal template is the fact PPCs recognise it, even after it's been edited (I changed it only last week!). So you are sending them a subliminal message you don't even realise, by using it! The message says something like:

'Get stuffed, you will lost at POPLA, I am on MSE and won't be telling you who was driving'!

EDIT: Here's how it worked here today:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5813008

Last edited by Coupon-mad; 17-04-2018 at 10:49 AM.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,144Posts Today

6,949Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Yes you would think in this electronic day and age. They could put digital ticket machines on trains https://t.co/RPo4XXvrwk

• RT @Mattallwright: Martin: supplementary: Does she know which platform the train is on, or is it Paddington with five minutes notice to cov?

• RT @KTMGordo: @MartinSLewis Imagine Jane is hungry and late for an urgent appointment & needs to buy a sandwich but the queue's huge. Is?

• Follow Martin