Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Machito
    • By Machito 16th Apr 18, 3:40 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Machito
    0 WOW
    Flight advice
    • 16th Apr 18, 3:40 PM
    0 WOW
    Flight advice 16th Apr 18 at 3:40 PM
    Hello all.

I am a 48 year old UK male. I would like to go to Colombia in June this year, after leaving my rented accommodation and putting my possessions at a family member's home.

I hope to begin doing voluntary work as a means to know the country better. In August the school year starts for private schools. I'm a primary school teacher and I don't presently have a job, so assuming I like the country I would like to approach some of the international schools to see if they have any last minute vacancies. I have been reliably informed that such vacancies do come up. Alternatively I might prefer to continue doing voluntary work - Workaway has various opportunities which look really interesting and would provide me with accommodation and 3 meals a day. Alternatively I might even want to look for work in another field (in which I would be at an advantage as a native English speaker.)

Re. visas: I can stay for 90 days with no visa and for a small fee extend the visa to 180 days. Or I can pop to a nearby country for the weekend then reenter and start again. To work legally I would need an employer to organise a work visa - by all accounts if they want to employ me then they will be willing to do that.

So my plan was to get a one way ticket and ensure I have enough savings to buy a return when I need it. Obviously when I return would depend on how much I enjoy it, whether I find work etc. Using the advice on this site (and elsewhere) I have been able to find numerous direct (I would prefer to make the flight as short as possible) one way tickets in June for around 400 pounds. Not bad. So far so good.

However I then discovered that airlines have a habit of refusing to let people go on flights if they don't have a return ticket or an onward ticket. Immigration might do this too, but apparently it is far more likely that the airline will do it.

I have found a return that goes back in November that is just over 600 pounds. However I have no idea whatsoever if I will want to go back in November. If I do find work then I definitely won't. So it seems I will be paying an extra 200+ pounds for a return flight I may well never use.

Is there an alternative? I have tried to find an open ticket or a cheaper return ticket, both to no avail.
Page 1
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 16th Apr 18, 3:55 PM
    • 12,051 Posts
    • 8,194 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 16th Apr 18, 3:55 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 3:55 PM
    Seek advice from a travel agent called Journey Latin America.

Otherwise: the standard airline requirement is actually to hold a return or onward ticket. So you could buy a one-way ticket to a neighboring country and so satisfy that requirement.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 16th Apr 18, 4:13 PM
    • 18,519 Posts
    • 7,678 Thanks
    richardw
    • 16th Apr 18, 4:13 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 4:13 PM
    I went from Fort Lauderdale to Cartagena and they throughly checked my return tickets.
    Many Venezuelans are looking for work in Colombia and Peru.
    I liked Cartagena and Santa Marta. I did not like Bogota , apart from the Botero paintings.
    Perhaps look at TEFL opportunities and getting a job and work visa before you go.
    Last edited by richardw; 16-04-2018 at 4:18 PM.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • Machito
    • By Machito 16th Apr 18, 4:42 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Machito
    • 16th Apr 18, 4:42 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 4:42 PM
    Getting a job and work visa whilst I am in the UK would be very difficult or more likely impossible. Once I am there it would be far easier.

Getting an onward ticket (that I have no intention of using) to a nearby country could be the cheapest solution to my dilemma.
    • Neil49
    • By Neil49 16th Apr 18, 5:55 PM
    • 1,263 Posts
    • 616 Thanks
    Neil49
    • 16th Apr 18, 5:55 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 5:55 PM
    You should also be aware that if any flight you choose goes via a US airport then you will need a valid ESTA.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 16th Apr 18, 6:40 PM
    • 12,051 Posts
    • 8,194 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 16th Apr 18, 6:40 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 6:40 PM
    I liked Cartagena and Santa Marta. I did not like Bogota , apart from the Botero paintings.
    Originally posted by richardw
    To my surprise, I found I really liked Bogota (despite the cool climate). I spent most of my time in Cali (wow!) but have not yet made it to the Caribbean coast.
    • benjus
    • By benjus 16th Apr 18, 7:12 PM
    • 5,098 Posts
    • 3,140 Thanks
    benjus
    • 16th Apr 18, 7:12 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 7:12 PM
    If you have a credit card you could always book a fully flexible ticket out of Colombia then cancel it once you're there.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 16th Apr 18, 8:40 PM
    • 12,051 Posts
    • 8,194 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 16th Apr 18, 8:40 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 8:40 PM
    If you have a credit card you could always book a fully flexible ticket out of Colombia then cancel it once you're there.
    Originally posted by benjus
    No: terribly bad advice.

Most air tickets are not refundable and the fact of paying by card would not help in this situation. Fully refundable tickets do exist and are very expensive: refunds are credited back to the card that was used for payment.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

435Posts Today

5,030Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @mmhpi: Third time lucky? After being delayed twice, tomorrow MPs are due to debate our #RecoverySpace proposals in parliament. @helen_u?

• Just a quick note. I've been overwhelmed by the strength of support by my campaign to stop facebook fake ads today? https://t.co/KexhjVVznY

• RT @mmhpi: On the eve of tomorrow's #RecoverySpace debate in parliament, we just delivered our 10,000 letters to the Chancellor. People in?

• Follow Martin