Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sderrick
    • By sderrick 16th Apr 18, 3:27 PM
    • 24Posts
    • 7Thanks
    sderrick
    Renegiotators, chipping and other tactics..
    • 16th Apr 18, 3:27 PM
    Renegiotators, chipping and other tactics.. 16th Apr 18 at 3:27 PM
    I'd like to hear from both sides. What do you find morally acceptable? Is all fair in love and home buying?

Have you had it done to yourself and changes chances later in life?

I'm currently selling a flat with an agreed price of 245,000. Cash buyers.

They had their survey done and found a number of problems, artex ceiling which "need" removing, re-wire the whole flat etc.

Reduced offer by 15,000, then 7,500...we offered 3,000 off and that was final and now they come back with 5,000! At this point, it's not even about the work, they are just renegotiating and trying to chip off the price the closer it gets to exchanging.
Page 2
    • sderrick
    • By sderrick 17th Apr 18, 2:25 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    sderrick
    The moral is, if it's taken that long to get an offer, it's overpriced.

The buyer knows it. You know it too, but are in denial. It doesn't really matter what their tactics are - it's how you react. You're indulging them and allowing them to continue to try it on. If you don't like it, stand firm and insist on your price. Take it or leave it.

Or, if you're that annoyed, remarket it and sell to someone else. Whether you can find someone else however, and what price they'll give you, is another question...
    Originally posted by ReadingTim
    I understand what you mean, but this is my first time selling a flat.

I had it valued by 4-5 different agents, Minimum value was 275,000 max 290,000....I thought that was massively overpriced but I trusted the experts who were trying to sell it. I put it up for 275...270...260.

There is only so much a homeowner can know and you end up trusting the agents assigned to selling the property.

*Update* told them we were sticking at 3k and they have accepted....but now trying to say that "only if we get an undertaking signed by the freeholders to split the cost of re-felting flat roofs". I'm in a block of 4 flats and with 3 of co-freeholders. I'm sure they will tell to take a hike when I ask that!
    Last edited by sderrick; 17-04-2018 at 2:27 PM.
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 17th Apr 18, 2:51 PM
    • 2,671 Posts
    • 3,834 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    *Update* told them we were sticking at 3k and they have accepted....but now trying to say that "only if we get an undertaking signed by the freeholders to split the cost of re-felting flat roofs". I'm in a block of 4 flats and with 3 of co-freeholders. I'm sure they will tell to take a hike when I ask that!
    Originally posted by sderrick
    Stick firm on that too - tell them no such undertaking will be obtained prior to sale - sold as seen etc. If they wish to gain such an undertaking from your co-freeholders, they are free to pursue this after they have purchased the flat at the previously agreed price.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

40Posts Today

3,426Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin