Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sham63
    • By sham63 16th Apr 18, 2:50 PM
    • 960Posts
    • 742Thanks
    sham63
    Glitch with saved searches
    • 16th Apr 18, 2:50 PM
    Glitch with saved searches 16th Apr 18 at 2:50 PM
    For the past month or so I've had an odd glitch with new saved searches.

If there is more than one word in the search, it is saved with + signs between each word, eg I want to save 'Bradcot caravan awning' but it is saved as Bradcot+caravan+awning and returns 0 results.

I've tried editing the search, and I've tried it using ios and windows PC and I can't stop getting the + signs.

All my old pre-glitch saved searches are still OK.

Any suggestions?
Page 1
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 17th Apr 18, 3:27 AM
    • 26,947 Posts
    • 10,848 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 17th Apr 18, 3:27 AM
    • 17th Apr 18, 3:27 AM
    Bradcot Caravan Awning = 353 results.

Saved that search and yep it placed the + signs in there.

Bradcot+Caravan+Awning = 11 Results.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • sham63
    • By sham63 17th Apr 18, 9:54 AM
    • 960 Posts
    • 742 Thanks
    sham63
    • 17th Apr 18, 9:54 AM
    • 17th Apr 18, 9:54 AM
    Thanks

I was hoping someone would try it for me, at least I know itís not just me doing something wrong.

There must be loads of people getting duff results from their saved searches and no realising it.
    • Pembroke
    • By Pembroke 19th Apr 18, 10:16 PM
    • 814 Posts
    • 561 Thanks
    Pembroke
    • 19th Apr 18, 10:16 PM
    • 19th Apr 18, 10:16 PM
    Hi, it's not really a glitch, that's the way search engines work these days. Back in the day when Yahoo was the search engine of choice you had to put the search term in inverted commas if you wanted all words to count, now its plus (and minus) signs.

If you leave the pluses out of your search you will get every title with Bradcot, every title with Awning and every title with caravan in it 353 results. If you want only every title with all three words you use the pluses. As forgotmyname says that produces 11 results.

If you look at those 11 results you will see that half of them are for the awnings and half are for accessories. So if you were to add to the end of your search a space then -poles, you would then remove all the adverts that talk about poles and only get the ones for the awnings. Or you can use a '-' to ignore a colour or the plus to only look for it.
    • sham63
    • By sham63 19th Apr 18, 11:28 PM
    • 960 Posts
    • 742 Thanks
    sham63
    • 19th Apr 18, 11:28 PM
    • 19th Apr 18, 11:28 PM
    Thanks for the reply.

My problem is that it now automatically adds the + sign, whereas up until a couple of weeks ago it did not.

I dont want the + sign. I want the 353 results you get searching without the + sign.

Any ideas on how to do this?
    • Pembroke
    • By Pembroke 20th Apr 18, 9:39 PM
    • 814 Posts
    • 561 Thanks
    Pembroke
    • 20th Apr 18, 9:39 PM
    • 20th Apr 18, 9:39 PM
    Hello, all I could find is If you use advanced search (to the right of the search button), you can chose what search term you wish to use, so what words of the three you were searching on and what order you want to search for them. When you then push that search button the exact search term is moved to the main page search box and all the results are displayed. So it should then be easy to cut / paste the result to your saved search.

So for instance ("bradcot, caravan, awning") including all the quote marks, the commas and the brackets will search for "any word any order" and return over 300,000 results.

This is all on an ancient version of Chrome so give it a go and see what happens.
    • sham63
    • By sham63 21st Apr 18, 9:01 AM
    • 960 Posts
    • 742 Thanks
    sham63
    • 21st Apr 18, 9:01 AM
    • 21st Apr 18, 9:01 AM
    Hi Pembroke, thanks for the suggestions.

I have just tried using advanced search but still get the same issue. I also put commas in as suggested, but it even saves that as bradcot,+caravan,+awning, I just cant get rid of those pesky + signs!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,276Posts Today

7,396Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin