Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • soul_fool
    • By soul_fool 16th Apr 18, 2:11 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 0Thanks
    soul_fool
    Double glazing compensation
    • 16th Apr 18, 2:11 PM
    Double glazing compensation 16th Apr 18 at 2:11 PM
    Hi,

We recently employed a company to install new windows in our house, dismantle the front porch and build a new, bigger one. This was a smaller company than others we had quotes from and we liked that they were straightforward with their quote and didn't slowly chip away at it like the other companies did - making out they were doing us a favour.

Anyway, the whole process has been a complete headache. We were originally told it would take about 10 days but they've been here 3.5 weeks now and it still isn't finished. I think it'll probably take 5 weeks in total to get done. Basically the guy has come clean to me and said he has a bigger job that has had some issues and so he's taken workers off of our job to prioritise the other one. Below are some of the main problems we've experienced:

1. They ordered the wrong glass for the landing. As at today, the glass still hasnít been swapped out.

2. The window configuration in the small bedroom is wrong. We have 2 fan lights where we asked for one.

3. We have a hole in the outer layer of our conservatory roof due to falling debris when fitting the back bedroom window. No care was taken to protect the roof.

4. Despite asking on more than one occasion for them to be filled, we were left with significant holes (fist size) in our brickwork on both the upper and lower bay windows for the best part of 2 weeks. This was during a period of significant wet weather that left ourselves at risk of damp.

5. The skip was left on our shared drive for a week longer than promised.

6. On more than one occasion, we were told the builders were due to start the following day only for them not to turn up.

7. On multiple occasions the fitters did not complete a full dayís work, instead being pulled off of our job to complete work on another. There was a complete lack of communication regarding this and it has contributed to our job being delayed significantly. On days when they didnít turn up as we had been told they would, we had left the back gates unlocked for them. They were therefore left unlocked and unattended all day.

7. Insufficient protection to our front door and the newly installed bay window when taking down the porch. This has resulted in damage to both the door and frame.

8. The wrong glass has been ordered and fitted to the front panels of the porch. We asked for clear and they ordered reeded.

9. The wrong glass has been ordered and fitted to the porch doors. We told them on more than one occasion what we wanted but, again, no notes were taken and so we have been left with the wrong glass and design.

10. Both the shared gate and our garden gate left wide open on one occasion after they left for the day. Far from ideal when weíve had a spate of burglaries in the area recently.

My wife is 7 months pregnant and we both wok full time. I am having to chase the guy on an almost daily basis via phone, text and email to discuss all the problems and find out why there's been little or no progress.

The whole job is £15k, a massive amount of money for us, and the service we have received has been terrible frankly. I have paid a 30% deposit but am holding the rest back until we can agree on a suitable compensation amount.

Does anyone have any idea what that should be? If we had known the significant delays and issues we'd have, we would've paid the extra £4,000 and gone with the bigger company who would have had this knocked out in 10 days.

Does 10% or even 20% seem unreasonable?
Page 2
    • soul_fool
    • By soul_fool 17th Apr 18, 8:45 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    soul_fool
    Where was the difference of opinion? As far as I understand it, all replies seem to have been unanimous.
    Originally posted by unholyangel

I'm talking about the responses differing from my opinion.

Anyway, the guy came back to me last night. Despite some bizarre claims regarding what he thought myself and my wife told him we wanted, he's admitted that their performance hasn't been up to scratch. He's offered to carry out some additional work, to the value of just under £1,000, for free by way of recompense.

We're going to go back and thank him for the offer but wish to just have the value of the extra work taken off of our final bill. The additional work isn't something we're overly worried about having done and the extra money would come in handy.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 17th Apr 18, 9:01 AM
    • 1,854 Posts
    • 2,496 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    First of all, it's positive that he has recognised that he's not provided a great service and is willing to consider recompense. However, don't get your hopes up on the value. Additional work to the value of £1,000 won't translate to a similar cash discount. For example, it might cost him £500 to do that £1,000 worth of work and so £500 cash discount might be the alternative offer. He may not offer a cash equivalent at all. If £500 were to be the cash figure offered, I think it a good outcome for you given your situation and the feedback you've had here.
    Last edited by Aylesbury Duck; 17-04-2018 at 9:03 AM.
    • Fluffybunny80
    • By Fluffybunny80 17th Apr 18, 1:31 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    Fluffybunny80
    I agree with everyone here (apart from the OP) that there has been no financial loss here and nothing in writing to state work done by or anything to that effect.

Good luck in court as you'll need it.
    It'll cost you a lot of money in solicitor fees, court fees etc and if you lose you'll be even worse off.

Saying you could do with the extra cash seems to me you've got it in your head you can get away with paying less than agreed and if you needed the extra cash then why initial works to the sum of 15k??

as unholyangel put it, there's a case where there was significant loss and distress caused and they got £750 by the courts.
    Yet you expect £250 more than that?

It is your mistake for not having any of this in writing and as long as they rectify the work within reasonable time and not two years (where did that come from again?) Then anything offered is goodwill only.

A court will ask you for something in writing i.e. an email, paper document or something in written form that states the completion time scale agreed by both parties.
    if nothing is in writing, either party could state a different figure or timescale.

You really need to get any works due to be undertaken in writing next time.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

29Posts Today

3,190Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin