IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Hospital PCN - happy to pay but not extra costs

Hi Guys,

Please have a read of my situation and kindly advise?

In October 2017 my wife was unwell had to be transported to the hospital, the ambulance arrived at the hospital before I did. Once I arrived I parked up, went quickly in the hospital to check upon my wife and returned to pay for the ticket. She spent a few days in the hospital this was my routine for the next few day’s popping in and out of the hospital car park.

Then out of the blue on Saturday 24th February I got a letter from ZZPS Limited informing me due to an unpaid PCN I owe £170 (£110 charge + £60 admin fee).

I was annoyed upon receiving the letter as this was the first time I had any notice of this so called unpaid PCN. The hospital car park is managed by Civil Enforcement Ltd but I’ve had no letters from them nor recall finding any PCN on my windscreen from them. This was the first instance of being notified I had to pay such a fee but by the debt collectors. If Civil Enforcement Ltd had got in touch with me - I would have responded straight away and if proven I hadn’t paid for a parking ticket I would have gladly paid the original parking charge (£30 or 60 etc).

I ignored the first letter from ZZPS Limited they sent another one in the beginning of the following month (March) which was also ignored.

At the end of March I received a letter from QDR Solicitors with the fee now increased to £206 and with a threatening tone, saying our Litigation Department will look to obtain CCJ against you if the fee is unpaid in the next 14 days.

I’m happy to pay the original fine (if proven I parked without paying) I just don’t want pay these extra charges by debt recovery agencies.

What should I do?

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Kind Regards,

Family Man

Comments

• pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 16 April 2018 at 12:27PM
    Your situation is irrelevant - Please inform yourself properly by reading the Newbies Sticky and as you are at the Debt Collector/LBC stage, start with posts four and two.

As a patient was involved, complaining to PALS at the earliest opportunity would normally be the best way to dispatch this lot.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 130,639
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    As well as post #4 about debt letter daftness, see the NEWBIES thread post #2, be ready to beat this when they file a court claim. There will be no hearing, nothing scary, no CCJ, we always see them off from CEL without a hearing!

The NEWBIES thread second post also tells you how to reply to a Letter before Claim.

So does any thread you find when you search CEL QDR letter I reckon! If it is a LBC, which the thread explains.

Stick around, don't be daunted, did I say we beat these EVERY time at claim stage?!

You could also try a complaint to PALS (Google it) urgently complain this week!

:D
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,029
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I would assume that you are familiar with the NHS parking principles for patients staff and visitors?
    If not then you need to make yourself aware of them.
    You don't need to pay a penny of the parking company's trumped up charge.
    although before you complain to PALS post your complaint here first
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    edited 16 April 2018 at 1:25PM
    This is not a fine, it is a scam. Pay them nothing unless a County Court Judge orders you to do so. Complain to PALs that they at trying to charge you an amount far in excessof that which the law allows, and contrary to NHS guidelines

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/nhs-patient-visitor-and-staff-car-parking-principles/nhs-patient-visitor-and-staff-car-parking-principles

This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of contracts for alleged parking offences, aided and abetted by a handful of low-rent solicitors.

Parking Eye, CPM, Smart, and another company have already been named and shamed, as has Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (these two law firms take hundreds of these cases to court each year). They lose most of them, and have been reported to the regulatory authority by an M.P. for unprofessional conduct

Hospital car parks and residential complex tickets have been especially mentioned.

The problem has become so rampant that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers. Watch the video of the Second Reading in the HofC recently.

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41

and complain in the most robust terms to your MP. With a fair wind they will be out of business by Christmas.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure