Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sunshine62
    • By sunshine62 16th Apr 18, 1:19 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 4Thanks
    sunshine62
    0 WOW
    accessible holidays
    • 16th Apr 18, 1:19 PM
    0 WOW
    accessible holidays 16th Apr 18 at 1:19 PM
    Hi folks,
    does anyone have recommendations for reliable companies that deal with holidays for disabled travellers?
    I have been able to make suitable arrangements in the past, but DH needs have changed and now definitely need the right aids to travel with us or be available at destination.
    Has anyone experience of either of these companies please?
    disabledaccessholidays- com or disabledholidays- com
    Thank you in advance x
Page 1
    • swingaloo
    • By swingaloo 16th Apr 18, 2:55 PM
    • 1,862 Posts
    • 3,330 Thanks
    swingaloo
    • 16th Apr 18, 2:55 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 2:55 PM
    Ive no experience of those companies sorry. However I suppose it depends on the type of disablement. My husband is disabled, cant weight bear on one of his legs and uses crutches all the time and is also on a lot of medication for a nerve problem.

We are going to Las Vegas in September and get assisted travel on the flight both ways. Its the 3rd time we have done it and its really helpful. They bring a wheelchair and take you through the booking in/passport control etc with no need to queue. They take you to the gate and help you board the plane and also put you on first so you are not waiting to sit down. At the other end you are last off the plane but a wheelchair is brought to the door of the plane and you are again taken through immigration then they collect your cases for you and then take you to the taxi rank.

Once at the hotel we hire a mobility scooter for the duration of our holiday. We saw 12 shows last time and because of the mobility scooter we were always taken to a selected disabled area (we noticed that it did not matter if we had the cheapest tickets we still got moved which was a plus we caught on to after a couple of days. ) They also have taxis which take mobility scooter on board and its also possible to take them on the buses there.

Nowhere was inaccessible but I suppose it depends were you are travelling to.

I don't know what your husbands needs are so maybe its more complex for you but Ive found that in general the airlines are excellent in the help they offer.
    • sunshine62
    • By sunshine62 17th Apr 18, 12:23 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    sunshine62
    • 17th Apr 18, 12:23 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 12:23 PM
    Thank you for replying.
    Hubby has Parkinsons and it has now reached a point where some of the equipment needed to make his life easier has to be available as we can no longer "make do". It's taken 23 years to get to this point, so it's not bad going.
    Over the years, we've moved from a folding scooter (a TravelScoot -- wonderful item) to a rather larger mobility scooter for out and about, but as the batteries are not removable, I don't think the airlines will transport it for us. We are currently awaiting a power (wheel)chair which I understand the airlines will transport.
    Many places nowadays provide help, assistance, and/or free/discounted/faster entry for the less-able and their carers. We are both very grateful for any help we get along the way.
    I'm just hoping for a bit of feedback about any travel arrangement companies or agents -- some understand better than others.
    enjoy Vegas :-)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,064Posts Today

7,090Users online

Martin's Twitter