Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • phoneguy
    • By phoneguy 16th Apr 18, 1:12 PM
    • 110Posts
    • 72Thanks
    phoneguy
    Tesco Mobile Locking 'Sim Free' Phones on sim insert
    • 16th Apr 18, 1:12 PM
    Tesco Mobile Locking 'Sim Free' Phones on sim insert 16th Apr 18 at 1:12 PM
    Silly question to ask from someone calling themselves 'The Phone Guy' (I repair old baker-lite phones as a hobby) - but hoping someone can help.

I had an iPhone 6 plus gathering dust in a drawer. I bought it from John Lewis in 2015 - Sim Free, not locked to any network.

For a year or so I used it on Giff Gaff before switching to Android. But afterwards it was used as a spare on 3 for a while too.

Recently a friends daughter had her phone stolen, so I gave her the iphone, knowing it was unlocked.

Her friend 'tried' it for her, by putting in her Tesco Mobile Sim. All was well until they took it out and put in her EE sim but it refused to work. After about an hour on the phone to EE, they said it was 'locked to Tesco Mobile'.

Has anyone experienced anything similar?
Page 1
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 16th Apr 18, 1:45 PM
    • 647 Posts
    • 383 Thanks
    Mister G
    • 16th Apr 18, 1:45 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 1:45 PM
    Sounds a bit like it's locked to O2, which both GiffGaff and Tesco Mobile also use.
    • phoneguy
    • By phoneguy 16th Apr 18, 2:06 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    phoneguy
    • 16th Apr 18, 2:06 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 2:06 PM
    Sounds a bit like it's locked to O2, which both GiffGaff and Tesco Mobile also use.
    Originally posted by Mister G
    I've discounted that as the Giff Gaff sim that was in it, now does not work. It only accepts Tesco Mobile.

Plus I could use a Three sim in it after Giff Gaff, but as soon as the young lady put a Tesco Mobile sim in it on Friday it now appears to be locked specifically to their network.

Weird.
    • d123
    • By d123 16th Apr 18, 3:51 PM
    • 7,218 Posts
    • 4,659 Thanks
    d123
    • 16th Apr 18, 3:51 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 3:51 PM
    It's probably locked to o2 (the parent of both Giffgaff and Tesco) though maybe it has somehow locked to Tesco now, you can check reasonably cheaply, a status check is only around 1.

I've used this unlock service many times, this is the network check:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IPHONE-3G-3GS-4-4S-5-IPAD-NETWORK-CHECK-SERVICE-BY-IMEI-100-CORRECT-/111647417015

If it's locked to o2 or Tesco he can unlock for 4.89

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FACTORY-UNLOCK-IPHONE-6-6-O2-UK-OR-TESCO-MOBILE-UK-NOT-4-BARRED-OFFICIAL-UNLOCK/111636614637
    ====
    • Neil49
    • By Neil49 16th Apr 18, 5:37 PM
    • 1,338 Posts
    • 657 Thanks
    Neil49
    • 16th Apr 18, 5:37 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 5:37 PM
    If it was originally a truly unlocked phone when new then I would insist on Tesco Mobile removing the lock for free.
    • phoneguy
    • By phoneguy 16th Apr 18, 5:42 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    phoneguy
    • 16th Apr 18, 5:42 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 5:42 PM
    If it was originally a truly unlocked phone when new then I would insist on Tesco Mobile removing the lock for free.
    Originally posted by Neil49
    It really was. I bought it direct from Apple's website. I've got to make sure it is actually locked to Tesco first - they are using the phrase 'latched' which is new on me.

I'm sure buried in their terms and conditions somewhere there is a clause. . .
    • john22
    • By john22 16th Apr 18, 5:59 PM
    • 589 Posts
    • 422 Thanks
    john22
    • 16th Apr 18, 5:59 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 5:59 PM
    It really was. I bought it direct from Apple's website. I've got to make sure it is actually locked to Tesco first - they are using the phrase 'latched' which is new on me.

I'm sure buried in their terms and conditions somewhere there is a clause. . .
    Originally posted by phoneguy
    You said you bought it from John Lewis and now you said you bought it from Apple directly?

I know that iPhones bought from Carphone warehouse (don't know if it still happens) would be so called unlocked until you insert the first carrier sim into the device and then it would lock to that carrier.

I buy from Apple and never had any of my phones locked to a carrier once the sim was inserted.
    • phoneguy
    • By phoneguy 16th Apr 18, 6:08 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    phoneguy
    • 16th Apr 18, 6:08 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 6:08 PM
    You said you bought it from John Lewis and now you said you bought it from Apple directly?

I know that iPhones bought from Carphone warehouse (don't know if it still happens) would be so called unlocked until you insert the first carrier sim into the device and then it would lock to that carrier.

I buy from Apple and never had any of my phones locked to a carrier once the sim was inserted.
    Originally posted by john22
    I thought I had bought it from John Lewis, but I went back through my bank statements and found it. I bought it, and an ipad at the same time. I remember it now being out of stock with JL.

Agree with you about Carphone Warehouse. My son had that very problem.

What's confusing me is it's had a number of sims in it from various networks - and it was only when a Tesco mobile sim went in, it became locked - apparently.

I've put in a request to Tesco to get some feedback.

Thanks to everyone for their comments and help. Really appreciated.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 16th Apr 18, 6:58 PM
    • 11,464 Posts
    • 8,257 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 16th Apr 18, 6:58 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 6:58 PM
    I've discounted that as the Giff Gaff sim that was in it, now does not work. It only accepts Tesco Mobile.

Plus I could use a Three sim in it after Giff Gaff, but as soon as the young lady put a Tesco Mobile sim in it on Friday it now appears to be locked specifically to their network.

Weird.
    Something's not quite right then because if it was "locked" to Tesco it would also work for GiffGaff or O2 as it's the same network. Sounds to me like something else is going on with the phone settings rather than it actually being locked.
    • Kernel Sanders
    • By Kernel Sanders 16th Apr 18, 9:04 PM
    • 3,304 Posts
    • 1,339 Thanks
    Kernel Sanders
    Something's not quite right then because if it was "locked" to Tesco it would also work for GiffGaff or O2 as it's the same network. .
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    Incorrect. The phone I bought from Tesco locked to tesco mobile wouldn't work on O2.
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 18th Apr 18, 10:02 AM
    • 3,704 Posts
    • 1,934 Thanks
    ballyblack
    Correct! but strangely a Tesco Sim will work in an o2 locked phone
    • d123
    • By d123 18th Apr 18, 10:41 AM
    • 7,218 Posts
    • 4,659 Thanks
    d123
    I thought I had bought it from John Lewis, but I went back through my bank statements and found it. I bought it, and an ipad at the same time. I remember it now being out of stock with JL.

Agree with you about Carphone Warehouse. My son had that very problem.

What's confusing me is it's had a number of sims in it from various networks - and it was only when a Tesco mobile sim went in, it became locked - apparently.

I've put in a request to Tesco to get some feedback.

Thanks to everyone for their comments and help. Really appreciated.
    99p would confirm the lock status (and if locked, to who), which would be a quicker way to confirm the issue. I doubt Tesco will be able to give you any definitive answer on your specific handset.
    ====
    • phoneguy
    • By phoneguy 18th Apr 18, 11:26 AM
    • 110 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    phoneguy
    We resolved it. It's an Appleism with certain networks being able to 'latch' the phone to their sim. In this case Tesco Mobile. The act of putting their sim in for a few minutes caused all the hassle. It has now been unlatched. Interestingly, putting a GIFFGAFF sim in it afterwards also latched it to GIFFGAFF. They, too, released it when asked, but it took a day.

Don't know if this is something recent, because I've never had it happen before. Perhaps part of an update?

It reminds me now why I dumped the iPhone in favour of Android. Horrible experience. Always trying to dip your pocket and crush productivity. With their new update disabling the phone if a third party replaces a screen I feel I made the right choice.

Thanks to all for the help - really appreciated.
    Last edited by phoneguy; 18-04-2018 at 11:28 AM.
    • d123
    • By d123 18th Apr 18, 2:30 PM
    • 7,218 Posts
    • 4,659 Thanks
    d123
    We resolved it. It's an Appleism with certain networks being able to 'latch' the phone to their sim. In this case Tesco Mobile. The act of putting their sim in for a few minutes caused all the hassle. It has now been unlatched. Interestingly, putting a GIFFGAFF sim in it afterwards also latched it to GIFFGAFF. They, too, released it when asked, but it took a day.

Don't know if this is something recent, because I've never had it happen before. Perhaps part of an update?

It reminds me now why I dumped the iPhone in favour of Android. Horrible experience. Always trying to dip your pocket and crush productivity. With their new update disabling the phone if a third party replaces a screen I feel I made the right choice.

Thanks to all for the help - really appreciated.
    It doesn't sound like you had a factory unlocked phone, possibly your first guess at having bought from JL was right all along as when JL first started selling iPhones they had the same "locks to first sim" stock that CPW sold iirc.

Fortunately both retailers now sell properly unlocked iPhones (if bought full price in the case of CPW).
    ====
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

621Posts Today

6,571Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin