Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mikehextall
    • By Mikehextall 16th Apr 18, 12:56 PM
    • 20Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Mikehextall
    Evidence of paying off a credit card to support mortgage application
    • 16th Apr 18, 12:56 PM
    Evidence of paying off a credit card to support mortgage application 16th Apr 18 at 12:56 PM
    As part of our mortgage application we have been asked to provide evidence as to how we plan to clear our £5000 credit card debt before they will approve the mortgage. Let me make it clear that we have not been asked to actually clear them to zero, just how we plan to do it. Has anyone else been in this position?
Page 1
    • firstbuyer
    • By firstbuyer 16th Apr 18, 2:10 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    firstbuyer
    • 16th Apr 18, 2:10 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 2:10 PM
    Not sure if this is the same situation but I recently applied and broker said my debt would be redeemed by the time of completion (around 4k).

I was then asked to prove I have the money in savings, alongside the money for deposit and this should cover it. That wasn't enough. A day after they then said they would only offer if I paid the debt off in full and proved so.

Speak to your broker / adviser and see what their opinion is as all lenders are different. Natwest underwriters have been particularly detailed from what I've experienced!
    • Jaywood89
    • By Jaywood89 16th Apr 18, 3:58 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    Jaywood89
    • 16th Apr 18, 3:58 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 3:58 PM
    NatWest did something similar to me.

I had £900 on a £3500 limit credit card which I was using each month then paying in full, each month with a £0 or max £1500 balance then paid, as a way to rebuild a good repayment history. They wouldn’t move to offer stage till I proved the amount was £0 which I felt was abit silly as I could prove the card was paid in full each month and had been for 6 months. I cleared it to £0 for the sake of argument and then moved to the offer stage.

They hadn’t mentioned the credit card as an issue until the last minute which was very frustrating as I imagine it is for you at the moment.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 16th Apr 18, 5:31 PM
    • 58,525 Posts
    • 51,884 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 16th Apr 18, 5:31 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 5:31 PM
    Been a gradual tightening of lending criteria in the last quarter. No doubt in reponse to the BOE's comments that interest rates may rise than previously suggested. (Only marginal rises at a time but on a more frequent basis).
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • firstbuyer
    • By firstbuyer 17th Apr 18, 11:23 AM
    • 30 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    firstbuyer
    • 17th Apr 18, 11:23 AM
    • 17th Apr 18, 11:23 AM
    Curious though - If i use my credit card from now until completion (but pay it off in full each month) is that OK?
    • zx81
    • By zx81 17th Apr 18, 11:44 AM
    • 16,856 Posts
    • 17,874 Thanks
    zx81
    • 17th Apr 18, 11:44 AM
    • 17th Apr 18, 11:44 AM
    Yes. .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,087Posts Today

5,372Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin