Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kingblah
    • By kingblah 16th Apr 18, 12:54 PM
    • 30Posts
    • 1Thanks
    kingblah
    Tenant In Situ: Landlady claiming I need another reference check?
    • 16th Apr 18, 12:54 PM
    Tenant In Situ: Landlady claiming I need another reference check? 16th Apr 18 at 12:54 PM
    Hi all

I've lived in the property for a year (it's a two bed, as a sharer) and the other housemate is moving out, with a new one joining and thus a new tenancy agreement drawn up.

My landlady is claiming that the new "Right to Rent" laws mean that even though I'm not moving out, i'm remaining in the property, that I need to undergo the entire referencing process again, to prove my right to rent, as there is a new tenancy agreement being drawn up.

I'm a UK citizen, and have paid my rent on time always. Why on earth would I need to go through all of this again? I don't think she's right. She claims she doesn't want to do it either but "the law is the law". Any ideas?

Is there anything I can quote to her to prove to her she's got the wrong end of the stick?
Page 1
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 16th Apr 18, 12:57 PM
    • 11,810 Posts
    • 13,675 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 16th Apr 18, 12:57 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 12:57 PM
    Can you confirm that this is a joint tenancy agreement please?

Did your previous house mate leave before the end of the contract?
    • kingblah
    • By kingblah 16th Apr 18, 1:03 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    kingblah
    • 16th Apr 18, 1:03 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 1:03 PM
    It's a joint tenancy - from my research it seems all i need is a "right to rent" check (e.g. my passport), not the entire rest of the referencing malarkey like wage slips, credit checks etc.

The previous housemate is due to leave at the end of the tenancy, when the new one starts.
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 16th Apr 18, 1:20 PM
    • 11,810 Posts
    • 13,675 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 16th Apr 18, 1:20 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 1:20 PM
    It's a joint tenancy - from my research it seems all i need is a "right to rent" check (e.g. my passport), not the entire rest of the referencing malarkey like wage slips, credit checks etc.

The previous housemate is due to leave at the end of the tenancy, when the new one starts.
    Originally posted by kingblah
    I agree with you. Yes, to the 'right to rent' check but not to the rest.

Having said that if the landlady wishes to do this then you either have to agree or find somewhere else to live!

There is no legal requirement (as far as I know) to ask for references, wages etc. It is something landlords do to safeguard their investment.

Is she charging you for this? If not, then just let her get on with it.
    • kingblah
    • By kingblah 16th Apr 18, 1:23 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    kingblah
    • 16th Apr 18, 1:23 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 1:23 PM
    Thanks - the landlady doesn't actually want to do it either (as it's a painfully long process for both sides, and our new tenancy starts in 2 weeks!) so by giving her my passport she'll be relieved - we have a very good relationship. Besides, I already had the referencing done when I first moved in a year ago!

I'll let her know the good news as I think she misinterpreted a piece of legislation.

I won't have to then go through the pain of having to request physical wage slips from my workplace and getting previous landlord references and all of that rubbish.
    Last edited by kingblah; 16-04-2018 at 1:26 PM.
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 16th Apr 18, 2:43 PM
    • 5,612 Posts
    • 7,892 Thanks
    deannatrois
    • 16th Apr 18, 2:43 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 2:43 PM
    You don't have to but normally employers send wages slips of some sort to an employee.., electronically etc. You just need to print them out.

I'd look up the right to rent and give your LL a print out, explaining it if necessary. But if she won't budge, you will have to do it. Ask her to use your previous reference as you moved out a year ago, its not likely to have changed since i.e. you can't have done anything to the property or rent payments to change it.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 16th Apr 18, 5:55 PM
    • 45,319 Posts
    • 54,317 Thanks
    G_M
    • 16th Apr 18, 5:55 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 5:55 PM
    She does need to confirm your right to rent. Show her your passport (assuming it's a UK passport or has a residency stamp!).

Sorted.

Whether she want to credit check and reference you is up to her. Seems pointless if she knows you.

The new joint tenant is another matter - Sensible to credit check him/her.

See also
    Right to Rent (Mandatory checks on tenants' immigration status)
    Last edited by G_M; 16-04-2018 at 5:57 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,346Posts Today

7,791Users online

Martin's Twitter