Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • iceboy
    • By iceboy 16th Apr 18, 12:41 PM
    • 20Posts
    • 9Thanks
    iceboy
    Minimum Spend on grocery deliveries?.
    • 16th Apr 18, 12:41 PM
    Minimum Spend on grocery deliveries?. 16th Apr 18 at 12:41 PM
    Are all deliveries on groceries minimum spend of 40?
    I used to shop at Asda..but I found they were still taking money out the week after because something had increased since the order.Should they do this?,or should you get it at the price you booked your food delivery?.
    Last edited by iceboy; 16-04-2018 at 10:58 PM.
Page 1
    • rach_k
    • By rach_k 16th Apr 18, 1:38 PM
    • 1,343 Posts
    • 2,331 Thanks
    rach_k
    • 16th Apr 18, 1:38 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 1:38 PM
    I don't know about all shops but with Tesco you can pay a surcharge if you want a delivery of less than 40. It's not worth it though really, unless there's an insanely good offer you can't miss!

The price you are given when you order is just an estimate - for things like veg where you might ask for three carrots, they don't know exactly how much it will cost until they pick and weigh them.

For offers, I find they generally do show up at the correct price if you book your delivery slot before adding things to your basket. If you add things first, they don't know whether offers will still be on so they just go by the current price. Sometimes offers do change e.g they might stop an offer before the advertised date but I'm sure they cover themselves for that in their T&Cs, both for the individual offers and in their general online shopping ones. It's also true that if something goes down in price after you order it (and is still reduced on the day you receive your delivery), you pay the cheaper price so it works both ways.

If you're worried that offers aren't going through that are still on, you can always screenshot them and then email them after the money has gone out. If they offer is still on, they're generally very good at refunding the overpayment.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 16th Apr 18, 2:55 PM
    • 6,723 Posts
    • 11,612 Thanks
    Farway
    • 16th Apr 18, 2:55 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 2:55 PM
    [QUOTE=iceboy;74168458]Are all deliveries on groceries minimum spend of 40?
    /QUOTE]
    I think Iceland is 30, or 20 if you shop in store& leave them to deliver

Of course choices may not be what you want
    • thorsoak
    • By thorsoak 16th Apr 18, 3:38 PM
    • 5,813 Posts
    • 26,943 Thanks
    thorsoak
    • 16th Apr 18, 3:38 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 3:38 PM
    East of England Co-op locally will deliver for free - but you go round the store and do your own shopping, pack it in your own bags - and then they will deliver - usually within an hour! I hadn't realised this until last weekend, when they had a good offer on compost and gro-bags - I thought that they would deliver these only - but no, when I ordered and paid for them at the checkout, they said we can deliver the rest of your shopping too!
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 16th Apr 18, 4:30 PM
    • 7,504 Posts
    • 10,914 Thanks
    KxMx
    • 16th Apr 18, 4:30 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 4:30 PM
    Tesco charge an extra 4 if the basket is under 40.

Iceland online will deliver for 2, basket minimum 25. Spend 35 and it's free.

We shop with both regularly and never have billing issues. Amount charged to card is the total price of goods on day of delivery.
    Last edited by KxMx; 17-04-2018 at 10:29 AM.
    • iceboy
    • By iceboy 16th Apr 18, 5:16 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    iceboy
    • 16th Apr 18, 5:16 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 5:16 PM
    I shop with Tesco on weekly basis by paying the monthly fee because I have disabilities and we're both pensioners..but sometimes it's hard to get up to 40 for two really..and same as one of the posters said it's a tot up system like Asda if the price changes and Asda have begun the 40 limit now.

Iceland doesn't seem bad, but is that just frozen goods?.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 16th Apr 18, 6:26 PM
    • 6,723 Posts
    • 11,612 Thanks
    Farway
    • 16th Apr 18, 6:26 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 6:26 PM
    Iceland do have "normal" groceries, not checked but I've never seen toilet rolls, detergent and the like in there, so maybe just food items, like cheese, fruit, tea, milk etc
    • tiredwithtwins
    • By tiredwithtwins 16th Apr 18, 6:46 PM
    • 453 Posts
    • 1,453 Thanks
    tiredwithtwins
    • 16th Apr 18, 6:46 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 6:46 PM
    Iceland do have "normal" groceries, not checked but I've never seen toilet rolls, detergent and the like in there, so maybe just food items, like cheese, fruit, tea, milk etc
    Originally posted by Farway

out local Iceland sells lots of different goods such as you mentioned above ... I like shopping at Iceland but its 2 busrides to the nearest store so a bit out of the way just to take advantage of the cheap delivery on 25 of goods or free delivery on 35+ .. I just don't have the free time to do it.

at the moment I shop with ocado - fairly average, but delivery is free (took advantage of a years free delivery offer) plus they often send some good money off vouchers - ive not spent over 40ish for last few months due to money off vouchers. there was recently a free household cleaning bundle worth 25 - some items were missing on delivery and when I emailed customer service to ask why, I got a money off voucher to the value of what was missing (6.75!). they also price check against Tesco .. ive done a couple of virtual shops with asda just to compare and prices are pretty much the same ... but I do find their fruit and veg a bit expensive compared to asda and Tesco.
    oct gc - 190/200
    Nov gc - 225/250

wading through the treacle of life!
    • iceboy
    • By iceboy 16th Apr 18, 10:59 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    iceboy
    • 16th Apr 18, 10:59 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 10:59 PM
    Checking the iceland site and it is fairly cheap thanks.
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 16th Apr 18, 11:04 PM
    • 36,878 Posts
    • 474,591 Thanks
    pigpen
    our iceland has pet food and loo rolls and everything apart from vegetarian meals... really strange.. but 25 min spend
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/11/2018 51894.38 (2.41% int.)
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 17th Apr 18, 10:31 AM
    • 7,504 Posts
    • 10,914 Thanks
    KxMx
    out local Iceland sells lots of different goods such as you mentioned above ... I like shopping at Iceland but its 2 busrides to the nearest store so a bit out of the way just to take advantage of the cheap delivery on 25 of goods or free delivery on 35+ .. I just don't have the free time to do it.

at the moment I shop with ocado - fairly average, but delivery is free (took advantage of a years free delivery offer) plus they often send some good money off vouchers - ive not spent over 40ish for last few months due to money off vouchers. there was recently a free household cleaning bundle worth 25 - some items were missing on delivery and when I emailed customer service to ask why, I got a money off voucher to the value of what was missing (6.75!). they also price check against Tesco .. ive done a couple of virtual shops with asda just to compare and prices are pretty much the same ... but I do find their fruit and veg a bit expensive compared to asda and Tesco.
    Originally posted by tiredwithtwins
    The prices I quoted were for Iceland online. Not in store They offer both online ordering and delivery once you've shopped in store.
    Last edited by KxMx; 17-04-2018 at 10:35 AM.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 17th Apr 18, 2:32 PM
    • 6,723 Posts
    • 11,612 Thanks
    Farway
    Worth remembering if you choose Iceland to get the Bonus card.

It is not a credit card, but for every 20 you bung on they bung on a quid, which is 5%

Plus vouchers every now & then
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,909Posts Today

8,853Users online

Martin's Twitter