Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kiaora73
    • By Kiaora73 16th Apr 18, 12:24 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Kiaora73
    Not paid for logging in time
    • 16th Apr 18, 12:24 PM
    Not paid for logging in time 16th Apr 18 at 12:24 PM
    My employer asks that I log in to my computer before my contracted hours, so I am ready to start working as soon as my contracted hours start. Logging in to everything can take 5 to 10 mins every day.

However this logging in period is unpaid.

Should it be?
Page 2
    • Les79
    • By Les79 16th Apr 18, 6:54 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 167 Thanks
    Les79
    I used to work in a call center, initially as an agent and then as a supervisor. This sort of thing has never sat right with me to be honest.

BUT, I quite often saw people make waves in this manner and it never ended well for them in the long run (though maybe they were just more inclined to making more waves). My attitude was, keep your head down and collect the monthly wage packet. Sure, they were probably doing me out of 10 mins per shift per month (~20 shifts a month = 3.3 hours or roughly £24 after taxes etc) but was that £24 really worth risking a job which was bringing in £1100+ a month?

Not saying it is right, but gotta earn your crust somehow.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 16th Apr 18, 7:12 PM
    • 31,866 Posts
    • 19,098 Thanks
    getmore4less
    The key is they don't have to pay it just recognise it as working time.

Overnight sleep ins were similar issue.

Why the unions won't make stand on stuff like this is beyond me.

All unions should over this like a rash.

If they can't get the basics sorted where the law is on their side what use will they be negotiating wages.
    • Doshwaster
    • By Doshwaster 16th Apr 18, 9:42 PM
    • 4,809 Posts
    • 3,934 Thanks
    Doshwaster
    I used to work in a call center, initially as an agent and then as a supervisor. This sort of thing has never sat right with me to be honest.

BUT, I quite often saw people make waves in this manner and it never ended well for them in the long run (though maybe they were just more inclined to making more waves). My attitude was, keep your head down and collect the monthly wage packet. Sure, they were probably doing me out of 10 mins per shift per month (~20 shifts a month = 3.3 hours or roughly £24 after taxes etc) but was that £24 really worth risking a job which was bringing in £1100+ a month?

Not saying it is right, but gotta earn your crust somehow.
    Originally posted by Les79
    Personally, being at my desk 10 minutes before my start time wouldn't bother me. Just sit there with a coffee and a bacon sarnie - but otherwise, it's easy enough to find 10 minutes to skive off during your shift to compensate.
    • scaredofdebt
    • By scaredofdebt 18th Apr 18, 10:50 AM
    • 972 Posts
    • 396 Thanks
    scaredofdebt
    If you are having to login to 5 or so systems they need to look at SSO / Single Sign On technology, it would save a lot of time and effort.

But it sounds like the type of company that doesn't really care about its employees so won't invest the necessary time and money to do that.

Do you also have to stay behind at the end of your shift if you are on a call? That used to annoy me when I worked in a call centre!
    Make £2018 in 2018 Challenge - Total to date £1,049
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 18th Apr 18, 8:24 PM
    • 38,375 Posts
    • 34,965 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Do you also have to stay behind at the end of your shift if you are on a call? That used to annoy me when I worked in a call centre!
    Originally posted by scaredofdebt
    Not half as much as it would annoy me, the customer, if you terminated the call before we'd finished doing whatever it was I was trying to do, because it was the end of your shift.

The only time I've found that acceptable was when I was talking to my late and very deaf mother using Text Relay. It had been a long call, and the operator typing my replies to mum said that she was due to finish work and would we mind handing over to a new operator. No problem there, because the operator wasn't 'involved' in the conversation, just passing what I was saying on to Mum!
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself ...
    Current projects: Poppies, mohair cardigan pattern on order...
    • Ja7188
    • By Ja7188 18th Apr 18, 8:35 PM
    • 138 Posts
    • 146 Thanks
    Ja7188
    Couldn't you just start the logging in process ten minutes before you're due to start and then use that time to make yourself a coffee?
    • Mulder00
    • By Mulder00 18th Apr 18, 9:53 PM
    • 485 Posts
    • 430 Thanks
    Mulder00
    I would just make up the time with a longer break where it wasn't visible if it really bother me, rather than make a big fuss about it.
    • boo_star
    • By boo_star 18th Apr 18, 10:13 PM
    • 1,443 Posts
    • 794 Thanks
    boo_star
    I would just make up the time with a longer break where it wasn't visible if it really bother me, rather than make a big fuss about it.
    Originally posted by Mulder00
    The time they log out/in would be recorded by the computer system.

There’s not much “reduced visibility” nowadays.
    • Doshwaster
    • By Doshwaster 19th Apr 18, 9:24 AM
    • 4,809 Posts
    • 3,934 Thanks
    Doshwaster
    Originally posted by scaredofdebt
    When I worked in a call centre we would all try to avoid picking up a call in the last few minutes of a shift just in case it was a "long one" and leave the growing call queue for the incoming shift to deal with.
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 19th Apr 18, 10:05 AM
    • 1,008 Posts
    • 1,093 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    Logging in to everything can take 5 to 10 mins every day.
    Originally posted by Kiaora73
    Or 3 minutes maybe?

Being the sort of person I am, I think I'd start having problems with logging in so that even though I'd logged in 5 minutes before the start of my shift, I'd still be logging in 20 minutes later
    • Les79
    • By Les79 19th Apr 18, 12:13 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 167 Thanks
    Les79
    Or 3 minutes maybe?

Being the sort of person I am, I think I'd start having problems with logging in so that even though I'd logged in 5 minutes before the start of my shift, I'd still be logging in 20 minutes later
    Originally posted by bertiewhite
    A fair number of people used to do that.

One person was silly and ended up getting the sack due to it, but it was generally hard to prove for the most part (so the odd one you could get away with).

The person who got sacked had forgotten their password about 8 times within a month (the passwords reset once a month) which was 30-60mins of downtime each time. They sort of shot themselves in the foot by being overheard by a manager about intentionally putting in the wrong password to lock their account. Some agents can put in a lot of though and effort into AVOIDING work which, had they just focused that energy on the WORK, could potentially get them moving on within the company.

There were other ways of subtly getting the agents back, though, not that I partook in anything like that (couldn't be bothered!). You may, for example, find yourself on an unusually large number of early or late shifts when the next schedule of rotas are released. Or your lunch time finishing just before the canteen starts serving lunch food, or the boss being inflexible when you need some time off for an appointment etc.

It is effectively just like a playground! If you go there to play games then you'll probably get caught up in the whole game-playing scenario. As much as I wanted to play games at times as well, I did try and be the bigger person in there and people like you "I'd still be logging in 20 mins later" would be given *some* leeway before the disciplinary process kicked in.

To be fair, I speculate about subtle ways of getting people back but in truth I haven't actually seen any boss do that sort of stuff! For the most part all of the bosses (including me) haven't been spiteful towards any agent in this manner, but I am hypothesizing about how some small-minded managers may respond!
    Last edited by Les79; Yesterday at 12:16 PM.
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 19th Apr 18, 8:42 PM
    • 4,161 Posts
    • 4,570 Thanks
    robatwork
    How we deal with this scenario is:

If you're contracted for 9-5 then you're expected to be at your desk prepared and ready to work at 9.

That means you don't come in at 9 and then make tea, or change your shoes or catch up on last night's Corrie. You're free to come in 5 or 10 mins before if you want to do that.

However logging into a work system would count as work that starts at 9.

Most staff will come in a few mins early, turn their PC on if it's off and then make a drink, put their lunch in the fridge, get water etc. then be back at their desk in time to start.

Some, generally the younger ones, come in with 30 seconds to spare and flap around getting ready. No idea why they don't de-stress themselves a bit and leave home just a few minutes earlier. When we discuss with them, it's normally "I couldn't get out of bed".
    • dippy3103
    • By dippy3103 19th Apr 18, 9:15 PM
    • 1,812 Posts
    • 2,663 Thanks
    dippy3103
    Why are the union earning their dues and taking this forward?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,715Posts Today

7,027Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke? https://t.co/9FxNEpDs6p

• No not correct. The big six do, but you can get fixed tariffs guaranteed not to rise and about 25% cheaper. Just tr? https://t.co/B2ft5OS3Ig

• Baaaa! Scottish Power has bleated and followed the herd, today announcing it's putting up energy prices by 5.5%. R? https://t.co/vi3hBxo4Hn

• Follow Martin