Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mithy
    • By Mithy 16th Apr 18, 11:07 AM
    • 15Posts
    • 5Thanks
    Mithy
    How long to get customs and import tax assessment?
    • 16th Apr 18, 11:07 AM
    How long to get customs and import tax assessment? 16th Apr 18 at 11:07 AM
    I have a package arriving from Australia. I can see it arrived at the International Hub last Thursday 12 April and is now awaiting assessment for customs and duties payable. Can anyone advise how long it is likely to take until I get the notice to pay? (Anyone had items arrive in March or April and can tell me how long it took to get their notice?)

If I've posted in the wrong forum, apologies, and please suggest where would be better.
Page 1
    • RFW
    • By RFW 16th Apr 18, 12:03 PM
    • 8,816 Posts
    • 5,109 Thanks
    RFW
    • 16th Apr 18, 12:03 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 12:03 PM
    I have a package arriving from Australia. I can see it arrived at the International Hub last Thursday 12 April and is now awaiting assessment for customs and duties payable. Can anyone advise how long it is likely to take until I get the notice to pay? (Anyone had items arrive in March or April and can tell me how long it took to get their notice?)

If I've posted in the wrong forum, apologies, and please suggest where would be better.
    Originally posted by Mithy
    I don't think there's a set time. Some just pass through and others are stuck for days. Sometimes it can be the courier not updating as well as customs holding.
    • Brynsam
    • By Brynsam 17th Apr 18, 12:44 AM
    • 1,740 Posts
    • 1,278 Thanks
    Brynsam
    • 17th Apr 18, 12:44 AM
    • 17th Apr 18, 12:44 AM
    Anything from a couple of days to a couple of months - although happily the latter has only happened once.
    • martindow
    • By martindow 17th Apr 18, 9:28 AM
    • 7,883 Posts
    • 4,536 Thanks
    martindow
    • 17th Apr 18, 9:28 AM
    • 17th Apr 18, 9:28 AM
    Some carriers ask for payment in advance of delivery. Others deliver the parcel and then send an invoice a week or so later.

As you are looking at the tracking you know the company it was sent with so maybe you can find some info on their web site as to how they deal with fees.
    • Mithy
    • By Mithy 24th Apr 18, 4:24 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Mithy
    • 24th Apr 18, 4:24 PM
    • 24th Apr 18, 4:24 PM
    If anyone is reviewing this thread and finds it useful, here are the timelines (for Parcelforce):
    Thu 12 April: Online tracking showed the package had arrived at the processing centre in Coventry
    Thu 19 April: Online tracking showed the customs and import duty assessment had been completed and a letter was being sent
    Sat 21 April: Letter with charges arrived
    Mon 23 April: I went to the depot in Sutton, SW London, to collect it and pay the charges

I'll update in my other thread https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=74169462 with the results of my appeal.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,707Posts Today

7,058Users online

Martin's Twitter