Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • spotify95
    • By spotify95 16th Apr 18, 10:57 AM
    • 6Posts
    • 2Thanks
    spotify95
    I already hold one current account with Halifax, would Lloyd's be a good 2nd?
    • 16th Apr 18, 10:57 AM
    I already hold one current account with Halifax, would Lloyd's be a good 2nd? 16th Apr 18 at 10:57 AM
    I plan to upgrade to a Reward account soon, but also I am considering setting up a second current account after reading on here having more than one account can be helpful.

Would Lloyd's be a good bank to get a second account with?

Also, what are the chances of them giving me a current account rather than just a basic account considering 1. My Halifax account has no debts to it, ie no overdrafts being used and 2. Experian gave me a credit score of 'Fair'?
Page 1
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 16th Apr 18, 12:56 PM
    • 7,879 Posts
    • 8,740 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 16th Apr 18, 12:56 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 12:56 PM
    The recommendation on here is typically to have current accounts with more than one banking group in order to offer protection against your money being unavailable either accidentally (e.g. system issues, etc) or deliberately (e.g. accounts being suspended, etc), but, as Lloyds and Halifax are both part of Lloyds Banking Group then the value of having accounts with both of them would be limited, so you'd be better going elsewhere for your second.

Basic bank accounts are intended for those who can't get a full current account, so if you already have a current account then it's very unlikely that any bank you apply to would offer you a basic account, i.e. if they decline your application you won't be offered a basic account in lieu of the better one as you'll have to declare your first account during the application process.
    • wizzywig27
    • By wizzywig27 16th Apr 18, 2:09 PM
    • 1,205 Posts
    • 798 Thanks
    wizzywig27
    • 16th Apr 18, 2:09 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 2:09 PM
    Basic bank accounts are intended for those who can't get a full current account, so if you already have a current account then it's very unlikely that any bank you apply to would offer you a basic account, i.e. if they decline your application you won't be offered a basic account in lieu of the better one as you'll have to declare your first account during the application process.
    Originally posted by eskbanker

No entirely true I am afraid. I have four full bank accounts. I applied for a Nationwide account (as a switcher account) and advised I had an account elsewhere, they then declined my application but offered me their basic account.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

185Posts Today

1,276Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin