Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Roadie
    • By Roadie 16th Apr 18, 10:48 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Roadie
    Local council query
    • 16th Apr 18, 10:48 AM
    Local council query 16th Apr 18 at 10:48 AM
    Hi all, I think this is in the best section for my question.

My local council provides us with our weekly refuse collection and the vehicle used has on more than one occasion reversed onto our land damaging the grass. Where do I stand? I've emailed them and they've said its not down to them I must go to the refuse collectors themselves.

I'd rather not as I feel I pay for this and other services in my council tax but i'm not sure if the consumer rights act applies here or is there another that applies in this situation?

Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 16th Apr 18, 11:19 AM
    • 3,806 Posts
    • 6,581 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    • 16th Apr 18, 11:19 AM
    • 16th Apr 18, 11:19 AM
    A first complaint should go to the environmental department at your local council, if that gets ignored you need to follow your councils complaints procedure but be aware that if the only way they can access your street is to have to turn damaging your grass you may find that the only solution with be yourself and everyone else in your street having to move your bins to the end of the street in a more accessible position
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 16th Apr 18, 5:21 PM
    • 10,657 Posts
    • 8,897 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 16th Apr 18, 5:21 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 5:21 PM
    I'd rather not as I feel I pay for this and other services in my council tax but i'm not sure if the consumer rights act applies here or is there another that applies in this situation?
    Originally posted by Roadie
    Nothing to do with consumer rights.

Council Tax is not a payment for services, but a tax on the occupation of domestic property.

If your property has been damaged then you can try and claim for the amount needed to repair the damage. Which, if the council (or contractors, if the refuse service is contracted out) do not agree to do, then you may need to consider using MoneyClaimOnLine.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,665Posts Today

7,251Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin