Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jaywood89
    • By Jaywood89 16th Apr 18, 10:25 AM
    • 116Posts
    • 46Thanks
    Jaywood89
    Dispute over who owns late mothers possessions
    • 16th Apr 18, 10:25 AM
    Dispute over who owns late mothers possessions 16th Apr 18 at 10:25 AM
    Looking for Any advice Really.

So my mother passed away from cancer last year. Iím an only child and we were very close. My mom had recently taken my dad back after he left her for someone else a few months after her terminal diagnosis (what a nice man). She told us she just didnít want to die alone and didnít want me to be parentless, even though Iíd said Iíve hated him for years so donít worry about it. Heís a drinker drug user womaniser who didnít contribute much to the household physically or finacially and I was happier when he left.

Thatís just a bit of back ground to understand why Iím here. So my mom left everything to me in her will. Except 20% of her pension which she left to him as the tax if Iíd received the whole thing would of been more than the share she gave to him. So she had left him that plus the £49k on their life insurance (which she tried but couldnít leave to me) plus his half of the house.

Unfortunately the solicitors who drafted her will ballsed up and didnít change the deed on the house so he inherited it via suvivourship, despite knowing she had left him half and him agreeing to that while she was alive.

As I lived with them I had to move out as he decided to let me know that the house was his and I had no right to be there, also he started seeing the women he was seeing before within weeks of my moms death, bought a flash new car with the money left and informed me that he was willing to take me the executor to court to pay for the joint loan they still had together. so I had move out to a friends house (with my kids).

I went to the house the other day to collect some photo albums from the loft as I knew he wouldnít miss them or even know they were there. When I got there, every shred of evidence in the house, like hung photos of my motherís were gone. Heís taken them all down, and my moms suitcase was in the hall (heíd been on holiday) with his new girlfriends clothes in. So I took every photo album I could find and just left. The reason for this is that things are just things at the end of the day but those photos hold memories and that means more to me.

I went back today to collect some mail which I regularly do and I found the locks changed. Heís done this once before but his family gave me a key.

My question is where do I stand legally on the contents of the house? My dad owns only the tv in the living room, everything else is my moms and I can prove recipets for almost everything? Do I have any right to those things as the beneficiary of her estate? Or are both her and my stuff now his as they are still in the house?

Iím more Interested in all my baby things and my childrenís baby things. The things that hold memories. Tvís and beds etc are less of a concern to me.

Any advice would be much appreciated TIA
Page 1
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 16th Apr 18, 10:57 AM
    • 3,976 Posts
    • 3,245 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    • 16th Apr 18, 10:57 AM
    • 16th Apr 18, 10:57 AM
    This is a duplicate post. Please delete it.
    • Jaywood89
    • By Jaywood89 16th Apr 18, 11:10 AM
    • 116 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    Jaywood89
    • 16th Apr 18, 11:10 AM
    • 16th Apr 18, 11:10 AM
    I!!!8217;m note sure how. I don!!!8217;t know why it posted twice
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,667Posts Today

7,809Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MartinSLewis: Pls help stop people who are suicidal being harassed by creditors. People in hospital due to anxiety, depression & more?

• RT @peterkmartin: Thanks @MartinSLewis after hearing you advise many times to switch energy providers, I finally got my finger out and have?

• I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke? https://t.co/9FxNEpDs6p

• Follow Martin