Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SpeckledHen84
    • By SpeckledHen84 16th Apr 18, 9:24 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    SpeckledHen84
    Landlord breached contract and legal rights
    • 16th Apr 18, 9:24 AM
    Landlord breached contract and legal rights 16th Apr 18 at 9:24 AM
    Hi All,

I have a bit of an issue. My landlord entered my property without notice or permission to let in a tradesman for a planned renovation for when I moved out. I only found this out when I came home from work and found my door locked with no note saying someone had been in the property and when I called the landlord out on it he admitted it (therefore I have written proof that he breached). There have also been occasions where I have told my partner that I though something had moved in my house but he told me to stop being silly and I was likely imagining it.

Subsequently I have found out from a neighbour that my landlord has been popping in and out of my house (but I have no proof), as well as discovering heís erected CCTV covering the entrance to his house and also my house but has failed to notify me, nor put up signs saying so.

I have been very creeped out by all of this. I have all but moved out of my house at this point anyway and in with my partner. There is another month of notice to run on the house (had a 2m notice clause) but after finding all of This out on Saturday I feel unable and unwilling to stay in the house any longer.

Given that my LL has breached the tenancy and also my legal rights by entering without notice (or even my prior knowledge!) for a non-emergency reason, where do I stand with immediately terminating the agreement based on this breach?

The house was initially let through an agent the contract managed from them.

All I want is my deposit returned in full within 7 days, possibility of getting pro rata my final monthís rent back from when I hand my keys back ASAP, and my tenancy to cease immediately. If not, then do I have legal grounds for recompense based on the breach?

Everything was absolutely fine up until this point, but I feel unbelievably uneasy being in my house, and after finding out about the surveillance to the properties I donít really want to deal with my LL directly.

Thanks
Page 1
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 16th Apr 18, 9:27 AM
    • 10,777 Posts
    • 14,142 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • 16th Apr 18, 9:27 AM
    • 16th Apr 18, 9:27 AM
    Just change the lock/barrel. Change it back when you move out. Simple.
    2018 wins: Single Malt Whisky; theatre tickets; festival tickets; year of gin(!); shoes
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 16th Apr 18, 9:40 AM
    • 11,756 Posts
    • 13,622 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 16th Apr 18, 9:40 AM
    • 16th Apr 18, 9:40 AM
    Agree, change the locks.

You do not have any right to stop the rent or move out early as you are contractually bound to the end of the notice period.

You could contact the landlord and agree an early surrender - this might be agreeable to the LL if they wish to do work on the property.

As regards the CCTV where has it been erected? On your property or on the landlord's property. There is no law that says that for domestic use a notice has to be erected to alert people but this may be a privacy issue.

Have a read of this and then write to your landlord of your concerns and/or report it.

http://www.problemneighbours.co.uk/what-can-we-do-about-neighbours-cctv-camera.html

To be honest, you are moving out anyway so is it worth all the hassle?
    • m0bov
    • By m0bov 16th Apr 18, 10:27 AM
    • 1,355 Posts
    • 937 Thanks
    m0bov
    • 16th Apr 18, 10:27 AM
    • 16th Apr 18, 10:27 AM
    Change locks, stick something over CCTV, if you can't get to the camera, ring 101.
    • parkrunner
    • By parkrunner 16th Apr 18, 12:16 PM
    • 1,336 Posts
    • 2,080 Thanks
    parkrunner
    • 16th Apr 18, 12:16 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 12:16 PM
    Given that my LL has breached the tenancy and also my legal rights by entering without notice (or even my prior knowledge!) for a non-emergency reason, where do I stand with immediately terminating the agreement based on this breach?
    Originally posted by SpeckledHen84
    You don't stand anywhere. As already suggested you change the lock or indeed simply tell the LL you won't allow any more visits during the tenancy.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,068Posts Today

8,750Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin