Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mcgradl
    • By mcgradl 16th Apr 18, 9:21 AM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    mcgradl
    NHS Ill Health Redeployment
    • 16th Apr 18, 9:21 AM
    NHS Ill Health Redeployment 16th Apr 18 at 9:21 AM
    Hi,

I have recently been advised by HR I have the opportunity to be placed on the redeployment register due to ill health as it has been recognised that my current position is the main cause of my ill health. (Mental Health condition)

The only problem is that once on the redeployment register I would only have 3 months to be matched to a suitable alternative role or the next step would be dismissal on the grounds of ill health. I have been informed by my union that it is realistic I would be matched to another post but not guaranteed.

I would really like to opt for redeployment but the possibility of not having a position at the end of the 3 months terrifies me.

If anyone could offer any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 16th Apr 18, 9:52 AM
    • 6,850 Posts
    • 5,388 Thanks
    ohreally
    • 16th Apr 18, 9:52 AM
    • 16th Apr 18, 9:52 AM
    What does the redeployment policy say in respect of this? Is there scope to ask for an extension?
    Donít be a canít, be a can.
    • ssparks2003
    • By ssparks2003 16th Apr 18, 9:53 AM
    • 409 Posts
    • 550 Thanks
    ssparks2003
    • 16th Apr 18, 9:53 AM
    • 16th Apr 18, 9:53 AM
    You are being offered a lifeline with redeployment, the alternative is ill health dismissal. I would personally opt for trying the redeployment first.
    • w06
    • By w06 16th Apr 18, 10:02 AM
    • 763 Posts
    • 1,103 Thanks
    w06
    • 16th Apr 18, 10:02 AM
    • 16th Apr 18, 10:02 AM
    I'd opt for redeployment too. Make sure to pro-actively pursue all possibilities that would fit with your health and skills, realistically if nothing appears within the 3 month period looking elsewhere is likely your best bet.
    • mcgradl
    • By mcgradl 16th Apr 18, 10:05 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mcgradl
    • 16th Apr 18, 10:05 AM
    • 16th Apr 18, 10:05 AM
    What does the redeployment policy say in respect of this? Is there scope to ask for an extension?
    Originally posted by ohreally
    The HR rep has said that it would only be 3 months and there would be no possibility of extending this.
    • Ozzuk
    • By Ozzuk 16th Apr 18, 10:06 AM
    • 1,514 Posts
    • 2,215 Thanks
    Ozzuk
    • 16th Apr 18, 10:06 AM
    • 16th Apr 18, 10:06 AM
    As sparks points out, from what is written - and I'm not sure you've really picked up on this, your choice is dismissal now, or try for another role being dismissed if you can't find one. As you'd like to stay you have no option - go on the list.

You might want to check with HR that it is as black and white as that - i.e. you have the opportunity to go on the list, or we dismiss now.
    • nicechap
    • By nicechap 16th Apr 18, 10:07 AM
    • 1,467 Posts
    • 2,854 Thanks
    nicechap
    • 16th Apr 18, 10:07 AM
    • 16th Apr 18, 10:07 AM
    Hi,

I have recently been advised by HR I have the opportunity to be placed on the redeployment register due to ill health as it has been recognised that my current position is the main cause of my ill health. (Mental Health condition)

The only problem is that once on the redeployment register I would only have 3 months to be matched to a suitable alternative role or the next step would be dismissal on the grounds of ill health. I have been informed by my union that it is realistic I would be matched to another post but not guaranteed.

I would really like to opt for redeployment but the possibility of not having a position at the end of the 3 months terrifies me.

If anyone could offer any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.
    Originally posted by mcgradl

If you don't go on the redeployment register, what is going to happen to you?
    ďNever argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.Ē - George Carlin
    • polgara
    • By polgara 16th Apr 18, 10:45 AM
    • 383 Posts
    • 373 Thanks
    polgara
    • 16th Apr 18, 10:45 AM
    • 16th Apr 18, 10:45 AM
    Its 3 months extension effectively so treat it like that - you need to be extremely proactive in looking at all the vacancies that are sent to you - contact the recruiting manager and talk about the role, your experience etc. Don't wait for someone else to do the chasing.

If at the end of the 3 months you've not managed to source an alternative role, then in all likelihood you will be invited to attend a capability hearing. One of the outcomes is dismissal, or you could have another extension but that would only if the capability panel felt you had not been supported effectively - no suitable jobs appearing in the 3 months would not cover this. Are you also looking externally?
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 16th Apr 18, 2:19 PM
    • 6,850 Posts
    • 5,388 Thanks
    ohreally
    • 16th Apr 18, 2:19 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 2:19 PM
    The HR rep has said that it would only be 3 months and there would be no possibility of extending this.
    Originally posted by mcgradl
    You don't necessarily listen to the propaganda according to HR, get the policy and check for yourself. Do you have a good relationship with your union rep?
    Donít be a canít, be a can.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

169Posts Today

1,171Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Many saying sexism or ego. My suspicion as someone who works in TV is that this is a format point. I'd think whe? https://t.co/AXfrv5YqKA

• I do always ponder when watching apprentice why Lord Sugar is "Lord Sugar" but Baroness Bradey is Karen. #bbctheapprentice

• Lord Sugar just said "she's talking like she's a 50 year old, she knows it inside out?" Genuine question if ther? https://t.co/6cZJ9d2Cni

• Follow Martin