Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 16th Apr 18, 9:00 AM
    • 3,824Posts
    • 5,886Thanks
    bouicca21
    Cleaning pans
    • 16th Apr 18, 9:00 AM
    Cleaning pans 16th Apr 18 at 9:00 AM
    Other people have saucepans and frying pans that look like new. Mine get all crudded up on the bottom and outsides. Is it that other people don't cook or that they wash their pans better/more frequently?

How often do you wash the outsides of your pans?
Page 1
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 16th Apr 18, 10:08 AM
    • 36,820 Posts
    • 473,901 Thanks
    pigpen
    • 16th Apr 18, 10:08 AM
    • 16th Apr 18, 10:08 AM
    every time I use them!!! or they would be mouldy, greasy and gross... why would you not wash the outside?

And those people who only wash the top of plates so the bottoms are greasy then they stack them in their cupboard so they are all filthy... and those who don't wash the handles on cutlery... gross!!

this is why I don't eat out anywhere haha.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/07/2018 52998.57 (2.41% int.)
    • welshbookworm
    • By welshbookworm 16th Apr 18, 10:13 AM
    • 2,546 Posts
    • 6,630 Thanks
    welshbookworm
    • 16th Apr 18, 10:13 AM
    • 16th Apr 18, 10:13 AM
    I wash the outside of the pans every time I use them. If they get a bit burnt on the outside I soak them in biological washing powder overnight (not non stick ones).
    The best portion of your life will be the small, nameless moments you spend smiling with someone who matters to you.
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 16th Apr 18, 10:20 AM
    • 2,444 Posts
    • 8,825 Thanks
    Oakdene
    • 16th Apr 18, 10:20 AM
    • 16th Apr 18, 10:20 AM
    every time I use them!!! or they would be mouldy, greasy and gross... why would you not wash the outside?

And those people who only wash the top of plates so the bottoms are greasy then they stack them in their cupboard so they are all filthy... and those who don't wash the handles on cutlery... gross!!

this is why I don't eat out anywhere haha.
    Originally posted by pigpen
    Talking of cutlery, I watched an old come dine with me last night & they hostess let her dogs go round the table at dinner & someone asked her if she fed her dogs 'human' food & she said all the time & she then proceeded to feed her dog with her fork!!
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydion ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.

• Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 16th Apr 18, 11:48 AM
    • 8,409 Posts
    • 9,432 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 16th Apr 18, 11:48 AM
    • 16th Apr 18, 11:48 AM
    she then proceeded to feed her dog with her fork!!
    Originally posted by Oakdene
    That's awful.

The dog could easily hurt its tongue on the tines.

There are a few Come Dines where I'd have been ashamed to let the cameras in if that had been my kitchen.

I'm sure dogs are cleaner than children though.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 16th Apr 18, 11:59 AM
    • 10,740 Posts
    • 118,151 Thanks
    LameWolf
    • 16th Apr 18, 11:59 AM
    • 16th Apr 18, 11:59 AM
    I also wash the outside of the pan as well as the inside, every time. To start with, if I pour sauce etc out of a pan some invariably dribbles down the outside, so it needs washing for this if nothing else.

I'm 100% with Pigpen about washing bottoms of plates and handles of cutlery, too. It doesn't really take any longer, and it wouldn't occur to me to not do it.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 16th Apr 18, 1:00 PM
    • 3,824 Posts
    • 5,886 Thanks
    bouicca21
    • 16th Apr 18, 1:00 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 1:00 PM
    Ok it's me then (I do wash the outsides but clearly not thoroughly enough). when I moved out of the marital home I bought cheap ones, but I am about to replace them and want to keep the new ones nice.

Btw I gave never heard of anyone just washing the tops of plates, or not washing cutlery handles. And as for feeding the dog ... Dog lover that I am, that's just too gross to contemplate.
  • archived user
    • 16th Apr 18, 1:18 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 1:18 PM
    Every time. I don't understand why you wouldn't. A quick go over with astonish paste every so often leaves them gleaming.
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 16th Apr 18, 4:33 PM
    • 7,428 Posts
    • 10,736 Thanks
    KxMx
    • 16th Apr 18, 4:33 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 4:33 PM
    I always wash the outside and bottoms of pans too.

Different techniques can be needed: potatoes make a right mess and need scrubbing whereas soup rarely needs more than a wipe.
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 16th Apr 18, 5:21 PM
    • 1,028 Posts
    • 23,699 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    I clean the outside/underneath of saucepans, so they can go back in the drawer, but if I'm honest I don't scrub them as thoroughly as the inside. I wouldn't leave them with dried-on food or anything like that though.

My sister has one of those reusable coffee cups so she can pick up a coffee on the way to work each day. Recently the person serving her commented that she is the only customer they have who washes hers out in between ....
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • robin58
    • By robin58 16th Apr 18, 5:42 PM
    • 2,556 Posts
    • 2,981 Thanks
    robin58
    I clean the outside/underneath of saucepans, so they can go back in the drawer, but if I'm honest I don't scrub them as thoroughly as the inside. I wouldn't leave them with dried-on food or anything like that though.

My sister has one of those reusable coffee cups so she can pick up a coffee on the way to work each day. Recently the person serving her commented that she is the only customer they have who washes hers out in between ....
    Originally posted by PollyWollyDoodle
    Breaking News... Waitrose ban free coffee for people who don't wash thier cups.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • Jimmithecat
    • By Jimmithecat 16th Apr 18, 5:49 PM
    • 150 Posts
    • 196 Thanks
    Jimmithecat
    Yep always wash pans inside and out - if anything is burnt on too badly I do the same as welshbookworm and boil up some biological washing powder in there and that always clears it.
    I always wash my coffee cups between each use as well - I can!!!8217;t understand why you wouldn!!!8217;t.
    • timehastoldme
    • By timehastoldme 16th Apr 18, 7:23 PM
    • 171 Posts
    • 519 Thanks
    timehastoldme
    Ok it's me then (I do wash the outsides but clearly not thoroughly enough). when I moved out of the marital home I bought cheap ones, but I am about to replace them and want to keep the new ones nice.
    Originally posted by bouicca21
    It's not just you, all ours get flung in the dishwasher but still get black scorch marks on the outside that are a pain, or impossible to remove. We've got some coppery bottomed ones that look cool when they get used, so I can live with it.
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 16th Apr 18, 7:42 PM
    • 19,581 Posts
    • 45,372 Thanks
    peachyprice
    I stick them all in the dishwasher, they come out good as new, inside and out.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • caronc
    • By caronc 16th Apr 18, 8:11 PM
    • 4,242 Posts
    • 26,324 Thanks
    caronc
    If you have a gas hob I find pans do get "seasoned" on the outside over time even if well-washed with each use. It's not "crud/food" stuff so I don't worry too much about it - shows the pans are well used...
    GC - May 96/120, Jun 206/230, Jul 211/150, Aug 96/140
    GC YTD 2018- 1025/1230
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 16th Apr 18, 8:53 PM
    • 11,197 Posts
    • 29,928 Thanks
    suki1964
    If you have a gas hob I find pans do get "seasoned" on the outside over time even if well-washed with each use. It's not "crud/food" stuff so I don't worry too much about it - shows the pans are well used...
    Originally posted by caronc
    No disrespect caronc, but I had a gas hob for years with copper bottomed stainless steel pans that you could see your face in

and believe me, I never go looking for housework

Just every time I washed them I used aa stainless steel scourer on them, and if they did start looking dull, a scrub with a bit of salt and half a lemon brought them up lovely

Or the easy non MSE way, was Peeks metal cleaner
    if you lend someone 20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 16th Apr 18, 9:19 PM
    • 7,982 Posts
    • 24,047 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    +1 for the Astonish stuff.
    We used it on an iron which had "overheated" on some school trousers (well, that's what the lad said) and after we peeled off the remaining "fabric", the Astonish stuff cleaned all the rest of the gunk off.

I must suggest we try it on the undersides of pans...
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 16th Apr 18, 9:23 PM
    • 24,685 Posts
    • 98,589 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    No disrespect caronc, but I had a gas hob for years with copper bottomed stainless steel pans that you could see your face in

Just every time I washed them I used aa stainless steel scourer on them, and if they did start looking dull, a scrub with a bit of salt and half a lemon brought them up lovely

Originally posted by suki1964
    So did I. Until somebody who creates what seems like new enamel out of spillages and MAXIMUM FIRE ALL THE TIME moved in and started ruining every last pan, pot and dish in the house taking over the cooking whilst I went out to work. Turning a brand new copper bottomed enamel pan sludge brown inside and out within 48 hours/2 meals is the record so far.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • caronc
    • By caronc 16th Apr 18, 9:24 PM
    • 4,242 Posts
    • 26,324 Thanks
    caronc

Originally posted by suki1964
    Fair enough no offence taken - but not all pans can be scrubbed that way so can get tarnished. Mine are stainless steel so respond well to scrubbing/scouring so after 15+ years of use are clean outside/in but pans with coated outsides can't be cleaned this way so do get stained
    GC - May 96/120, Jun 206/230, Jul 211/150, Aug 96/140
    GC YTD 2018- 1025/1230
    • elsien
    • By elsien 16th Apr 18, 9:30 PM
    • 16,912 Posts
    • 42,693 Thanks
    elsien
    I must be a paid up member of the mucky brigade.

I wash properly on the inside and any food stains on the outside plus a wipe over to get any grease off. But if a bit of a layer build up on the outside, so be it. Can't be doing with overnight soaking or anything like that. Don't see the point - I'm not eating off that bit and it's not leave my any grease marks on anything else so if there's a bit of discolouration I'm not fussed.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,681Posts Today

8,643Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin